Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seven month old Vintage is coming up on the 10,000 mile service soon, and the dealer informed me today that this service calls for a brake fluid change, bumping the 'normal' basic service of about $200 to around $500. My brake fluid is still as clear as newborn vodka, and I'm not going to allow them to change it this early. I just want the usual oil and filter swap, and maybe a cursory overall inspection, then it's out of there.

Another thing, unless they're actually leaking, they are NOT going to change fork oil at the 15,000 mile service either.

So there!!!

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Thanks for sharing:)

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
My seven month old Vintage is coming up on the 10,000 mile service soon, and the dealer informed me today that this service calls for a brake fluid change, bumping the 'normal' basic service of about $200 to around $500. My brake fluid is still as clear as newborn vodka, and I'm not going to allow them to change it this early. I just want the usual oil and filter swap, and maybe a cursory overall inspection, then it's out of there.

Another thing, unless they're actually leaking, they are NOT going to change fork oil at the 15,000 mile service either.

So there!!!
Every two years should be good. This coming from a retired automotive tchnician

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Should change brake lines every five years or so also. I am anal when it comes to shit like this. Anyone that buys a used bike from me is getting a bike that as far as mechanical condition goes, is as good as they get.

·
Banned
922 Posts

So there!!!
Remind me not to purchase a used bike from you !......lol...just kidding

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it attracts and absorbs moisture... that moisture will initially settle in the nooks and crannies of you master cylinder and calipers. There it will begin the process of corroding your brake system all while your fluid looks fine ( until it gets really bad)

It's not that hard to do IF you know what you're doing and safeguard your paint....

·
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
On the other hand....It's probably not much different than changing the brake fluid on my old dual disc Suzuki GT750's, with the addition of a rear disc brake, of course.

I can probably do it myself for twenty bucks and a couple hours.

Never mind.

·
Bronze member
1,559 Posts
MANY years ago I, for what reason has long been forgotten, I started flushing and bleeding the hydraulics (frnt and rear brakes and hydraulic clutches) when performing the 600 mile service on my customers skoots. I have to say that 100% of the skoots have had air in the systems, AND 100% of those skoots had some improvement in brake operation.

On my 2016 CDH I waited to flush and bleed the brakes until I bought the genuine Indian service manual so I could find out if there was any special procedure for flushing/bleeding the brakes. I had read that the valves in Harley's ABS system will not allow standard flushing/bleeding procedures without being hooked up to the dealers system, but that is NOT the case with The ABS on our Indians. So with about 4000 mls on my skoot I flushed and bled both systems. The rear had air, the front did not.

The results were that both brakes were MUCH better, especially the rear as the first time I applied the rear brake is was stopping the skoot RIGHT NOW! Caught me off guard. The front was better than b4 also.

On the Indians standard flushing/bleeding procedures are all that is needed and will take no more than an hour so a $300 up charge is an absolute rip off. This alerts me to the sad fact that there are still POShit people in the m/c industry that I have strived to make an honest living in for over 40 years. That dealer does NOT deserve ur bizzness and money.

RACNRAY

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it attracts and absorbs moisture... that moisture will initially settle in the nooks and crannies of you master cylinder and calipers. There it will begin the process of corroding your brake system all while your fluid looks fine ( until it gets really bad)

It's not that hard to do IF you know what you're doing and safeguard your paint....
Knowledgeable people with the proper equipment can change out the brake fluid in a very short time.
ABS takes a little longer depending on the vehicle system.
Without proper equipment it could take several hours for someone doing it on their own.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am one of the fortunate ones that had the rear brake master cylinder fail during rush hour traffic leaving me with just front brake. If they want to change the fluid in the tires and seat to make sure the bike is safe to ride, it will get done.

·
Bronze Member
1,581 Posts
On the other hand....It's probably not much different than changing the brake fluid on my old dual disc Suzuki GT750's, with the addition of a rear disc brake, of course.

I can probably do it myself for twenty bucks and a couple hours.

Never mind.
Yeah, for the cost of brake fluid. I figure that it's just cheap piece of mind knowing that there is fresh fluid in there.

I have always said that there are two things that I need on my bike, brakes and lights. Not having one of them when you need it increases your pucker factor immensely.

·
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard that there are special brake bleeding pumps available at Harbour Freight as well as some auto parts stores that work well with motorcycle systems, anyone have any info on these?

·
Registered
881 Posts
People should make a habit of changing the fluids whether it is brakes or forks. It would save problems in the long haul. I do these things when I change the front tire out, along with wheel bearings and brakes as needed. But I certainly check them. It's kind of like changing your engine oil every 20K instead of 5K miles.

Reactions: RACNRAY

·
10,006 Posts
I've heard that there are special brake bleeding pumps available at Harbour Freight as well as some auto parts stores that work well with motorcycle systems, anyone have any info on these?
Any tool is only as good as the expertise of the operator! :D

·
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
People should make a habit of changing the fluids whether it is brakes or forks. It would save problems in the long haul. I do these things when I change the front tire out, along with wheel bearings and brakes as needed. But I certainly check them. It's kind of like changing your engine oil every 20K instead of 5K miles.
Maybe I've just been lucky, but since I started riding motorcycles in 1966, I can't recall any sort of brake failures on any of my motorcycles. I've replaced shoes and pads as needed, and bled/replaced brake fluid on several of my older bikes now and then, but no failures, and that's with 55 machines and a half-million miles.

I'm just mentioning it because I think that paying a dealer for replacing what appears to be clear brake fluid every seven months is a waste of time and money. I live in a semi arid area too, with little humidity. Auto manufacturers seldom call for a brake fluid change less than every two years, and some much less often than that, a few never even setting a brake fluid replacement schedule at all. Either way, it makes a lot more sense to replace fluids based on time rather than mileage.

I bet that half the guys who religiously change the brake fluid on their bikes (of all brands) for safety reasons, won't wear a helmet.

·
10,006 Posts
Maybe I've just been lucky, but since I started riding motorcycles in 1966, I can't recall any sort of brake failures on any of my motorcycles. I've replaced shoes and pads as needed, and bled/replaced brake fluid on several of my older bikes now and then, but no failures, and that's with 55 machines and a half-million miles.

I'm just mentioning it because I think that paying a dealer for replacing what appears to be clear brake fluid every seven months is a waste of time and money. I live in a semi arid area too, with little humidity. Auto manufacturers seldom call for a brake fluid change less than every two years, and some much less often than that, a few never even setting a brake fluid replacement schedule at all. Either way, it makes a lot more sense to replace fluids based on time rather than mileage.

I bet that half the guys who religiously change the brake fluid on their bikes (of all brands) for safety reasons, won't wear a helmet.
I bought my first motorcycle when I was 12 years old in in 1952 and I have also bleed brakes and replaced pads on a LOT of motorcycles since, but I have never just arbitrarily ( by chance, whim or impulse) changed the brake fluid on purpose on any bike that I owned.
One of the reasons is that I don't keep motorcycles for long periods of time, but even if I did, I probably would not change the fluids just for the purpose of changing it.
But that is just me..... don't base your maintenance programs on my experience!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,091 Posts

So there!!!
I thought the 2 years 30,000 miles on the Victory bikes was a good requirement. But I went a head at the 10k service since I heard the same thing about bleeding ABS systems. However, it was around $50 increase, not $300 :eek: I think k I would've said no to that one too.

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Registered
881 Posts

No sweat off my brow if you choose to not service your brakes. Because you never had problems with your brakes....I guess it means none of us should. Thanks for your advise. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
as stated 2 yrs! if your willing to "fund" the dealer with over maintenance + can afford it i say thank you sir. i purchased a mity-vac years ago making fluid changes easy, fluid is cheap compares to a $100 hourly + or - labor!!!!

·
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No sweat off my brow if you choose to not service your brakes. Because you never had problems with your brakes....I guess it means none of us should. Thanks for your advise. :rolleyes:
You're welcome. I'm more than happy to help out. Feel free to contact me for my advice anytime.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts