Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got back my seat from Russell Day Long. I had them move the rider back about 1.5" and up about 1"... and add about the same amount to the passenger seat for more support for my wife. The pattern is a combination of the "half moon" and the diamond pattern. It's not a stock pattern, it's something I designed, sent them a picture, and and asked them to do.

I know it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but I am looking for COMFORT and will sacrifice a little looks for it! I have not been able to try it because there's about 2 feet of snow on the ground up here right now. All I have been able to do is sit on it in the shop. I'm 6'3", so the additional seat height is not a problem for me, but it might be to a shorter rider.

You will see the backrest looks like it's sitting high, it is! It's just propped up behind the seat and it is sitting above the spools. Me and a street-rodder buddy will have to cut it apart and remake it, since I added the 1.5" to the passenger seat. It won't even get close to attaching to the spools. Not a big deal...I knew I would have to do this before I had them mod the seat.

Just thought some guys might like to see what it looks like..

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Sweet, sent it my way I put a couple of thousand miles on it in a week, lol. Ok here is the big question if you don't mind, ball park price?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leather top, vinyl sides. Custom sewing pattern, HD suspension for rider, recover backrest, $1100. Not cheap, but my first Russell, and if it's as comfortable as the Gold Wing guys say, it will be worth it. I had an Ultimate on a Valkyrie in the past and it was good, but not great. On my Victory Vision, I had the stock seat...best stock seat I've ever sat on.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Leather top, vinyl sides. Custom sewing pattern, HD suspension for rider, recover backrest, $1100. Not cheap, but my first Russell, and if it's as comfortable as the Gold Wing guys say, it will be worth it. I had an Ultimate on a Valkyrie in the past and it was good, but not great. On my Victory Vision, I had the stock seat...best stock seat I've ever sat on.
That ain't bad, I paid the same for a Corbin set-up 4 years ago.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,297 Posts
Looks very comfortable. Look forward to hearing how it feels.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About 2 weeks once they received it. I had a reservation and shipped the seat so it was there a few days early, so a total of about 3 weeks including shipping. They are normally about 1-2 months behind to get a reservation though...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About 2 weeks once they received it. I had a reservation and shipped the seat so it was there a few days early, so a total of about 3 weeks including shipping. They are normally about 1-2 months behind to get a reservation though...

·
Rider
861 Posts
Question, could you removed the seat, install the backrest, and then reinstall the seat? I looks like it might drop down for enough for the passenger seat to sit above the bars.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No. We added about 1.5 inches to the back of the seat for passenger comfort, so the cross-bar on the backrest runs into the back of the seat. Without adding any space to the rear seat, it would probably work the way you describe.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think that seat looks awesome. I have seen one on a Scout and it doesn't really fit but on this bigger bike it looks great. Especially your design. These seats are suppose to be the most comfortable you can buy. I will be waiting for your review on the comfort as I am thinking about a Challenger with this seat. Second choice would be the Corbin.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,297 Posts
@39 Chev Have you had a chance to put any miles on the seat? Looking forward to some feedback!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, we are locked down here in Minnesota, but we have got out for a couple of rides between snow storms (it's spitting snow here right now :( ).

Comfort seems to be very good, but only ridden a couple of hours at a time. No long days in the saddle yet, and who knows how soon we will be able to do that with the Covid-19 hanging over our heads. If you are vertically challenged (I'm not), this seat will make it harder to put your feet down. With the stock seat, I could flat-foot...with this seat I am on the balls of my feet WITHOUT sliding forward. I know that is a common comment from Russell owners, but I'm fine with it.

I think it's going to great, but I have reserve final judgement until I can spend a long day in the saddle...

·
Registered
259 Posts
A little big looking for my taste, but like you said, comfort is the main thing. I will say it does flow great with the bike, definitely looks like it belongs there. Now just have to see how comfortable it is so please update us after a few miles.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,297 Posts
Well, we are locked down here in Minnesota, but we have got out for a couple of rides between snow storms (it's spitting snow here right now :( ).

Comfort seems to be very good, but only ridden a couple of hours at a time. No long days in the saddle yet, and who knows how soon we will be able to do that with the Covid-19 hanging over our heads. If you are vertically challenged (I'm not), this seat will make it harder to put your feet down. With the stock seat, I could flat-foot...with this seat I am on the balls of my feet WITHOUT sliding forward. I know that is a common comment from Russell owners, but I'm fine with it.

I think it's going to great, but I have reserve final judgement until I can spend a long day in the saddle...
Hopefully we'll get some nice weather soon so we can enjoy that and the nice gas prices. Thanks for the info. My bum gets pretty uncomfortable after about an hour of riding so hearing that you got a couple is awesome.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Have one on my FJR and it makes a big difference on long rides.Someone else who makes good seats is Seth Laam,had him do my FZ09 seat and my brothers Thunderbird.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still no long trips, but several 2-3 hour rides. I would call it about a 8-9 out of 10. It would probably be a 10 out of 10, but we are coming off a Victory Vision and that bike had the absolutely most comfortable seat of any bike I've ever owned. I've had Corbins (I hated) and Ultimate Big Boy seats in the past (on other motorcycles) and the stock Vision seat was the most comfortable by far.

I'm only a little over 500 miles, so it may need a little more break-in time too. All in all, very satisfied...and my wife loves it too.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I got back my seat from Russell Day Long. I had them move the rider back about 1.5" and up about 1"... and add about the same amount to the passenger seat for more support for my wife. The pattern is a combination of the "half moon" and the diamond pattern. It's not a stock pattern, it's something I designed, sent them a picture, and and asked them to do.

I know it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but I am looking for COMFORT and will sacrifice a little looks for it! I have not been able to try it because there's about 2 feet of snow on the ground up here right now. All I have been able to do is sit on it in the shop. I'm 6'3", so the additional seat height is not a problem for me, but it might be to a shorter rider.

You will see the backrest looks like it's sitting high, it is! It's just propped up behind the seat and it is sitting above the spools. Me and a street-rodder buddy will have to cut it apart and remake it, since I added the 1.5" to the passenger seat. It won't even get close to attaching to the spools. Not a big deal...I knew I would have to do this before I had them mod the seat.

Just thought some guys might like to see what it looks like..

View attachment 576530 View attachment 576531 View attachment 576533 View attachment 576534
Is that a two piece seat now? Separate rider and passenger?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts