Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rider
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Challenger riders. I've been doing some research on the Challenger the last couple weeks (I've got a ride scheduled this weekend). I've got a couple questions concerning two of the trims, Limited and Darkhorse:

Many videos, reviews, and publication only really list two differences between the Darkhorse and Limited. And don't get me started on the Indian website. Now I know the obvious; blacked out on Darkhorse and chrome on Limited. I also see there's no crash bar/engine protector on the Darkhorse. What else am i Missing? Is the shield taller on a Limited? I'm assuming the stereo speakers are identical.. Seat is the same (?) I think heated grips is just an option on both trims at this point. Hmmm...

Is there anything obvious I'm missing? By the way, I like both trims for different reasons.. story of my life. Thanks!

·
Founding member
477 Posts
You get bag fillers on the limited and as you said the engine guards.
What bag fillers are you talking about? I bought a new Challenger Limited a couple of months ago, and I didn't get any bag fillers. What are they?

·
Rider
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They go between the rear fender and the bags
View attachment 591698
Oh... I see it now. Bag fillers! Interesting. Looks good.
On a side note, I love Indian. I'm so excited about everything they are doing. But I've read the entire Indian website. I've watched and read close to 50 reviews... And this is the first I'm experiencing "bag fillers". Keep 'em coming. What else might the limited have that the "Dark Horse" Challnger doesn't ....? Maybe we just might help future buyers. Who knows .

·
Bronze member
2,658 Posts
Jakeylee, the only difference (other than matte vs shiny paint, and black vs chrome) are the engine guards and filler pieces between the bags and fender.

·
Rider
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jakeylee, the only difference (other than matte vs shiny paint, and black vs chrome) are the engine guards and filler pieces between the bags and fender.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. So, you feel fairly confident that both windshields are same height? I feel like they are. Though its not noted on the Indian site. But then again , neither is the lack of a engine guard/bar. I mean,other than the pics.

·
Bronze member
2,658 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the info. So, you feel fairly confident that both windshields are same height? I feel like they are. Though its not noted on the Indian site. But then again , neither is the lack of a engine guard/bar. I mean,other than the pics.
Yes, same windshield.

·
Bronze member
1,534 Posts
All the Challenger models are the SAME mechanically (engine, tranny, brakes, suspension, etc.), the changes are simply cosmetic; crash bars, rim upgrades, bag fillers and of course colors. I have a black Dark Horse, added the factory front crash bars, riders backrest and upgraded integrated 9-band equalizer speakers (and of course a set of aftermarket exhaust and cat delete pipe) and that's it. The bike really does't need anything else regarding safety and/or comfort, unless you really need/want heated grips, heated seat, lowers and a tourpak. But now you're adding considerable cost and a little extra weight to the bike, which the engine can MORE than handle. Just my spin on this matter.

·
Rider
434 Posts
I’m adding -
Extended reach seat - free from dealer
Chrome mirrors- Done
Pinnacle Floorboards - Done
Navigation- This Saturday or next
Crash bars
Indian Grips

Bike will be done after that. Might add the speaker upgrade too. Although it is plenty loud now. I’ll have about $1,000 in upgrades with $500 worth of Referral Code coupons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh... I see it now. Bag fillers! Interesting. Looks good.
On a side note, I love Indian. I'm so excited about everything they are doing. But I've read the entire Indian website. I've watched and read close to 50 reviews... And this is the first I'm experiencing "bag fillers". Keep 'em coming. What else might the limited have that the "Dark Horse" Challnger doesn't ....? Maybe we just might help future buyers. Who knows .
Also called "Close-Outs". Or so I've heard in the past.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You get bag fillers on the limited and as you said the engine guards.
Not sure why the dark horses dont come with the closeouts. For the price they should. But dont worry just buy the brackets and upper and lower closeouts for the Chieftain dh they fit the Challenger. I did it and makes a hell of a difference.

·
Bronze member
1,534 Posts
Not sure why the dark horses dont come with the closeouts. For the price they should. But dont worry just buy the brackets and upper and lower closeouts for the Chieftain dh they fit the Challenger. I did it and makes a hell of a difference.
Geo, it's all about some really simply marketing....and the ability to sell more parts for your bike. I think they look nice cosmetically, but I like the "open" look at the ass end of my Challenger. Makes cleaning much easier also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts