Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you new Challenger owners have a problem with your bikes? Son’s kept stalling then tossing out misfire dtcs and skipping. Had set plugs put in said was fixed. Son rode it home and said it didnt feel right but parked it in garage as weather turned as well as work schedule. Just took it out first time since the repair and it is rattling bad at idle, wont shift down from 3rd sometimes and going down road if you hit 4th it sounds like it will shell any second. Im smelling citrus. This is our 3rd indian in a year and a half. I love the brand.

·
Belgian rider
554 Posts
Here we say 'third time is good time' but this is your 3 rd Indian and it doesn't looks right. Hope your local dealer can fix the problems quickly for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for it. Keep us informed. Good luck !

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
Can't comment on the Challenger as I don't have one, at least yet. I've had the TS111 in the Chieftain and now the Scout 69 cubic inch without so much as a hiccup from either one. I do tend to shy away from first year production of anything though but that's just me.

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Back in December Racing Ray test rode a Challenger he had concerns about, same rattling and noise from the transmission you speak of.

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
Hope the Challenger doesn’t have tranny issues like the first 2 years of Victorys.

·
Bronze member
2,671 Posts
Any of you new Challenger owners have a problem with your bikes? Son’s kept stalling then tossing out misfire dtcs and skipping. Had set plugs put in said was fixed. Son rode it home and said it didnt feel right but parked it in garage as weather turned as well as work schedule. Just took it out first time since the repair and it is rattling bad at idle, wont shift down from 3rd sometimes and going down road if you hit 4th it sounds like it will shell any second. Im smelling citrus. This is our 3rd indian in a year and a half. I love the brand.
Hi the citrus smell could be a cylinder head gasket leak, that could explain the poor running

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think he meant the citrus comment as a metaphor - the bike is a lemon.
You get me! Lol. Yes. I meant lemon. When i say 3rd indian, i am meaning we bought 2 at same time, i still have same one. He traded his chieftan limited for this challenger. Bad trade so far

·
Rider
1,151 Posts
I really believe the way you are describing the rattling and hard shifting points to the clutch assembly.
Did it test ride ok and now the rattling just started?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really believe the way you are describing the rattling and hard shifting points to the clutch assembly.
Did it test ride ok and now the rattling just started?
He rode it home from The dealership. 2 hr ride. He said it felt weird but wasnt complaining of rattle at the time. Just the way it ran. It had been worked on for misfire dtc’s and running rough and stalling. 2 sep issues i think. Unless whatever came apart in trans was causing vibration first.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He rode it home from The dealership. 2 hr ride. He said it felt weird but wasnt complaining of rattle at the time. Just the way it ran. It had been worked on for misfire dtc’s and running rough and stalling. 2 sep issues i think. Unless whatever came apart in trans was causing vibration first.
Oh and yes it just started when he took it to town yesterday.

·
Administrator
15,372 Posts
I stay up on the threads and this transmission issue has not been prominently mentioned previously. The misfire and error codes have been.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
Yeah those original Vics were referred to as Hammers regarding the clunking clanking transmissions. Lots of bad things were happening until Polaris got the issue corrected. The Freedom engine make-over in 02 or 03 was a much better engine & transmission. Ironically they later named a model the Hammer which came out in 2005 sporting a 250 rear tire and was their first model to have upside down forks and dual front disc brakes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I always loved the clunk. I was in a parking lot with my wife and Victory once. She saw a bike and said "hey , is that a Victory?"
as he saw my bike and slowed down to say hello, he down shifted to a massive CLUNK!!!!!

I turned to my wife and said,, "yup,,,, it sure is...."

·
Administrator
15,372 Posts
Julie’s 2013 CCT has that massive clunk (even with helical cut gears). Kinda nice at gas stops when she drops into gear — I know she’s ready to roll even if she’s several pumps or islands over. One of those “signature features.”

·
Rider
1,151 Posts
Yeah my prior Hammer clunked too when shifted like a box of rocks but no troubles with it. There was a few times it didnt clunk.
Not many you could count on your fingers.
It was a good running bike. I miss it but like the Chieftain so much more.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had problems with my scout transmission so much so I got rid of it for a Harley Softail I had a dark horse and loved it but it was just too big of a bike for me. Hoping Indian Bridges the Gap with a Softail model of their own but I won't be back until then my transmission woes made me think twice

·
Rider
361 Posts
Since companies put their product out without sufficient testing these days and use customers for beta testing it's always best to give a new product 2-3 yrs. to prove itself.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts