Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sorry, I meant between the standard challenger and the extended. Looks like they're about the same minus the extended reach.

I rode about 100 mi yesterday and was ready to be done because my butt hurt too much.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you go with the Extended seat for the Challenger, you lose the ability to use the rider back rest. Assuming that is due to the backrest mount. I am waiting for the Extended seat to come in (no ETA) but had really hoped to get the rider backrest but believe the seat change is the priority as I am 6’4”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
751 Posts
If you go with the Extended seat for the Challenger, you lose the ability to use the rider back rest. Assuming that is due to the backrest mount. I am waiting for the Extended seat to come in (no ETA) but had really hoped to get the rider backrest but believe the seat change is the priority as I am 6’4”.

Are you sure about that since the setback comes out of the drivers portion, and the seats otherwise are identical.
challenger 003.JPG

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you sure about that since the setback comes out of the drivers portion, and the seats otherwise are identical. View attachment 589870
So after your post I decided to try a build with the extended reach seat and the rider backrest package and it allowed me. So then I called Indian customer service and from her available information it should work. I know the dealer showed me specifically that it would not (had a disclaimer) but I wonder if the Extended seat part number was correct. I will contact the dealer tomorrow to chase this further.

Part # for extended reach seat #2883869-VBA, mount #2884178.

·
Rider
751 Posts
The extended reach seat has the same hole in the same place for the strap which accesses where the bracket for the drivers backrest mounts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The extended reach seat has the same hole in the same place for the strap which accesses where the bracket for the drivers backrest mounts.
So if the hole is in the same place it would seem that the backrest would also end up in the same position front to back. If the extended seat is 2” further back than standard, this would not make a lot of sense to me. Still chasing this further.

·
Rider
471 Posts
May be time to revive this thread. A few more companies have come out with seats, people have put miles on the seats they bought. I for one, am thinking I will send mine to Bitchin Stitchin. I can't stand the look of the Saddlemens or the Russels, and I refuse to do business with Corbin. They have the worst customer service I have ever experienced. There is also a guy that people call Alligator Bob that does seats. I LOVE the design Bitchin Stitchin did on one of the guys bikes on the Facebook group.

·
Rider
751 Posts
So if the hole is in the same place it would seem that the backrest would also end up in the same position front to back. If the extended seat is 2” further back than standard, this would not make a lot of sense to me. Still chasing this further.

A picture is worth a thousand words. The two seats are identical in their overall length but the cushion on the extended reach is thinner. The hole for a backrest is in the exact same spot.
challenger seat 002.JPG
challenger seat 001.JPG
challenger seat 003.JPG

·
Rider
403 Posts
I think the foam in the Challenger seat is more like memory foam. I can ride for hours in comfort. The 2019 Chieftain Nomad seat seemed narrow and wasn't comfortable in the long haul. I don't see any similarity in the two. Look how wide and flat this seat is. View attachment 589719
I think the foam in the Challenger seat is more like memory foam. I can ride for hours in comfort. The 2019 Chieftain Nomad seat seemed narrow and wasn't comfortable in the long haul. I don't see any similarity in the two. Look how wide and flat this seat is. View attachment 589719
Hi Sanspur. Great pic. I just want to confirm the seat in this pic is the "extended reach"? Looks like it gives you a little low back/ass support as well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Maybe its just me, but in pic1 the seams on the seats line up. They do not in pics 2 & 3. In pic2 with the back rest slots lined up, the rear of the non attached seat extends further back than the attached seat. Just sayin, it could be perspective looking at pictures but I find it very odd that Indian would say it does not work and miss out on selling more over priced options. I have a Chieftain not a Challenger but I would not spend my money until I saw an actual backrest mounted.

·
Rider
751 Posts
The seams don't line up because the foam underneath is cut differently to give you 2 more inches of seat. Following the seam on the elevated top seat down to the bottom extended reach seat you can actually see the 2 more inches of seat.
The "back stop" of the seat is thinner on the extended reach.
"the rear of the non attached seat extends further back than the attached seat. " think, the top seat came off that bike and the extended seat is on that bike, how can you think they won't fit. The difference in the seam 1/8 in. was just moving the seat around to get a close up.

School is out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but still have not seen 1 Chieftain or 1 Challenger with an extended reach seat and a factory backrest without modifications. Again folks can do with their money what they wish.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but still have not seen 1 Chieftain or 1 Challenger with an extended reach seat and a factory backrest without modifications. Again folks can do with their money what they wish.
So the Challenger will work with the rider backrest and the extended reach seat, the Chieftain will not. In fact if doing a build and you pick the Tour Collection accessories, you will get the extended reach seat and the rider backrest. See below:

Since the rider backrest will be in the same location front to back as with the standard seat, something seems amiss to me. I questioned Indian and they said it will work with the extended reach seat but you may feel the pressure at the back part of the rider seat from the mount. No response on having the pad in the same location whether a standard or extended reach seat.

I would love to hear from someone who has both the rider backrest and the extended reach seat on the Challenger.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts