Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I ordered a White Smoke Darkhorse just before the new year. Should be allocated and delivered the 1st of March - if not no worries, Iowa usually isn't rideable in March.
I've already got my engine guards, windshield, pipes and tour pack waiting in the garage. I ordered a chopped tour pack from Pro Pad Inc in gloss black. Hopefully it goes well with the scheme of the black and white bike.
The real reason for posting is because I am now looking into seats for the lady to sit on. We test rode a Challenger in November and after a 30 mile ride I could hear the rumbling from the better half. The problem mainly comes from the seat being too narrow. Hell it isn't even the width of the fender. I've heard some rumors, both from my dealer and on the forum here, about the Chieftain seats fitting the bike. I really want to know if the Roadmaster seat will fit the bike. If anyone has tried it or seen it done please leave a few words for me to ponder. I'd like to get an ultimate seat but honestly don't like the lattice stitching they do on the Roadmaster seat. I did have a Roadmaster seat on my 15 Chieftain that worked just fine. Curious if it will fit on the Challenger too.

Thanks in advance
Connor

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
If I remember correctly, Chieftain/Roadmaster seats mount differently than the challenger and won't work.

·
Bronze member
1,733 Posts
I know Corbin is working on one, but probably won't be ready until later spring at least.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My seat is at Russell Day Long right now. Scheduled to be worked on next week.
I'm having them move me back about 1.5 inches and up about an inch, and obviously a much more comfortable passenger pillion. I'll certainly post pictures once I get it back.

I don't think it will be the most beautiful seat, but my wife said the same thing...seat has to go! Coming off a Victory Vision, she's used to a very comfortable seat...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saddlemen has one available
Jon I don't think the saddleman seat looks any wider than the old Chieftain style 2 piece seat. To be honest I haven't heard any real good reviews of them either. Little nervous to try them out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know Corbin is working on one, but probably won't be ready until later spring at least.
I think it's ready or will be ready this month. They call it the Wall. When I called they were working on 2 other designs. I think theres another company that just released one too besides Sargent.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My seat is at Russell Day Long right now. Scheduled to be worked on next week.
I'm having them move me back about 1.5 inches and up about an inch, and obviously a much more comfortable passenger pillion. I'll certainly post pictures once I get it back.

I don't think it will be the most beautiful seat, but my wife said the same thing...seat has to go! Coming off a Victory Vision, she's used to a very comfortable seat...
Could you also let me know the exact model you had them make for your Challenger?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think they only have one model, other than something called a "sport" model or something like that, but I'm doing the normal one. You can also get just the rider portion done and not the passenger, but I got both (wife!). I sent them my own design for the sewing pattern, so you won't see it on their website...a combination of the half moon and small diamond pattern. I'm doing vinyl sides and leather top.

I've never had one, but on some of the Gold Wing forums, guys comment that they are the absolute best for comfort, but not very attractive. I'm not as concerned with the looks of it...I just want my (and my wife's) butt to be happy. I had an Ultimate on a Valkyrie and it was pretty good, but not "ultimate" ;) .

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
There is a shop making custom seats for the Challenger, its call Bitchn Stichn, Inc. and they also recently posted phptos of there new seat on Facebook in the "Indian Challenger Motorcycle Group"

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know they make a extended reach saddle (oem) for the Challenger. And that will be the one that goes on my bike when the time comes. It won't help the wife any. That's what the Wing is for. She won't want to be on the Indian the way I'm going to ride anyway. She let me know after 30 years the last BB&BBQ on the Road King she wants no more wheelies, hand drags, bar crosses. No more fun with her on the back. GREAT!!!!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Any updates on seat recommendations? I just took delivery of my Challenger today, and I need a extended reach seat, but there doesn't seem to be any available for delivery yet in Canada for some reason.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Any updates on seat recommendations? I just took delivery of my Challenger today, and I need a extended reach seat, but there doesn't seem to be any available for delivery yet in Canada for some reason.
I did the Russell seat as I mentioned in the post above. Here's a link to the thread with pictures...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think it's ready or will be ready this month. They call it the Wall. When I called they were working on 2 other designs. I think theres another company that just released one too besides Sargent.

·
Rider
755 Posts
I don't know how much people have ridden with the stock Challenger seat. I changed to the extended reach model right after I bought mine, and it's the most comfortable seat for long rides and doesn't hit your inner thighs when stopped. There is no similarity between this one and the Chieftain Nomad seat.
I think I'd spend the money on a nice set of slip-ons.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know how much people have ridden with the stock Challenger seat. I changed to the extended reach model right after I bought mine, and it's the most comfortable seat for long rides and doesn't hit your inner thighs when stopped. There is no similarity between this one and the Chieftain Nomad seat.
Sand spur could I ask how tall you are. I am 5’10” and the stock seat has me right on top of the tank but I fear the extended reach seat will make me lean to far forward to get to the grips. Thx

·
Registered
289 Posts
Was there much difference in the design between the 2 seats?

·
Rider
755 Posts
Sand spur could I ask how tall you are. I am 5’10” and the stock seat has me right on top of the tank but I fear the extended reach seat will make me lean to far forward to get to the grips. Thx
I'm 5'11" and my heuvos were crying for help. I raised my bars a little and with the longer seat it is great.

·
Rider
755 Posts
Was there much difference in the design between the 2 seats?
I think the foam in the Challenger seat is more like memory foam. I can ride for hours in comfort. The 2019 Chieftain Nomad seat seemed narrow and wasn't comfortable in the long haul. I don't see any similarity in the two. Look how wide and flat this seat is.
challenger 005.JPG

1 - 20 of 39 Posts