Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just recieved the two screen protectors Indian is sending to 2020 Challenger, Chieftain, Roadmaster & FTR owners. Just hover your camera phone over the appropriate square and a link will appear on your phone. The entire procedure is very fast and easy and the quality of the protector are very good. Just be careful when you apply the clear screen saver to your ride command screen. If you are not careful it can fall down too low behind the picture frame of the fairing. I tested installing the screen saver before I removed the protective film from the adhesive side of the screen saver.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,230 Posts
I got mine today too! I haven't had a chance to install one yet.

Reactions: HERK

·
Bronze member
2,206 Posts
What's the deal with the newer screens?

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the deal with the newer screens?
Indain says the ride command screens are not meeting their product quaility and durability standards so the new (& free) sceen protectors "are for additional UV protection".

The screen on the ride command is not liking the sun exposure apparently. After recieving your screen protectors from Indian and If you don't feel comfortable installing them yourself, you can make an apointment at your local dealership and have them installed for free. Estimated install time is about ten minutes. :cool:

·
Rider
844 Posts
I installed mine this afternoon and I think it will cut down on the glare and make info more readable.

So basically instead of fixing the issue they are using a bandaid.
What issue are you referring to ? Don't people use these on their smart phones to prevent fingers from scratching the glass?

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I have read on other web sites some Challenger riders where complaining that the ride command screen washes out while in bright sun light and/or reflects the sun light so the screen is hard to see at times.... I went for a short one hour ride today (it was very sunny, no clouds and very warm) and I had noticed the ride command screen was easier to see in the bright sun light

·
Registered
61 Posts
Posted the same thing over in the recalls sub-forum. I installed mine, looks OK but not perfect with a couple odd small air bubbles at the bottom only notable when the screen is off. There is slightly more distortion when using polarized sunglasses but seems to function normally. I was going to order one of these from a place I've used in the past that makes custom ones but Indian saved me the trouble. We'll see how it holds up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got mine yesterday and installed it this morning. I'm riding into work tonight and I'll see if it cuts down the glare on the screen in the sun.

·
Rider
859 Posts
is there a difference between the 2020 screens and the earlier model years? I get that there is newer guts to the Ride Command but it seems to be the same externally.

·
Silver member
3,417 Posts
Are these screen protectors only for the Challenger? Wouldn’t all the Ride Command equipped bikes benefit from the fix?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,230 Posts
Got mine installed tonight. Used a small suction cup to hold the screen and the placement was great! Can't easily tell there's a protector.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I haven't gotten mine yet. Still waiting to see if they send them out.

My dealer knew nothing about it.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are these screen protectors only for the Challenger? Wouldn’t all the Ride Command equipped bikes benefit from the fix?

Please read the notice I had posted above. It designates the new screen protectors are for : Challenger, Chieftain, Roadmaster & FTR. It does not specifically designate the model year they are for in writting however, I can only assume the notice and the new screen protectors are for the respective 2020 models specifically listed in the notice.

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Please read the notice I had posted above. It designates the new screen protectors are for : Challenger, Chieftain, Roadmaster & FTR. It does not specifically designate the model year they are for in writting however, I can only assume the notice and the new screen protectors are for the respective 2020 models specifically listed in the notice.

Yep the 2020 models have the Harman-Kardon Ride Command systems, the prior units don't have the issues these screen protectors are designed to help/fix. Prior Ride Command Units were made by Radio Sound

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed mine this afternoon and I think it will cut down on the glare and make info more readable.

What issue are you referring to ? Don't people use these on their smart phones to prevent fingers from scratching the glass?
OMG are you for real? you bought a 30k MC and you just got a "screen protector"... and you think this is a "good will gift" ? any chance you want to send me your bank account number and SSN?

·
Rider
844 Posts
OMG are you for real? you bought a 30k MC and you just got a "screen protector"... and you think this is a "good will gift" ? any chance you want to send me your bank account number and SSN?
Quotation marks identify words used by someone else in spoken or written form.
Whom are you quoting when you wrote : . and you think this is a "good will gift" ?

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, please keep in mind that Indian made this deccission to send these notifications and protectors out to the owners of these specific motorcycles because "your vehicle's Ride Command screen is not meeting our product quality and durability standards".

·
Rider
844 Posts
Rode about 2 hrs. today in 95' cloudless weather and the lack of glare was really noticeable. I never had an issue with my screen but I don't use the touchscreen for commands and I never wear gloves.
It shows that Indian holds high standards for their products.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts