Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 Indian Challenger Dark Horse that I love and can't ride. Bike is currently in the shop for the 3rd time regarding a loud tone/vibration/noise coming from the motor. It isn't very loud but after riding for 20 min or longer it really kills the experience. The sound is so annoying it has given me headaches and ear aches. Unfortunately today I located other threads describing similar issues on other Indian models. I really hope they figure the problem out. I want it fixed or replaced.... Polaris/Indian please..... can't imagine spending close to 30k on a paper weight. I will keep everyone posted on what Indian does with my bike. Also if anybody has had similar issues please let me know how it was fixed.
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know the sound you describe. It gives it a unique personality. I like it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I know the sound you describe. It gives it a unique personality. I like it.
During the 1990s I used to ride a completely restored 1975 Norton 850 Commando. It really stood out in the Harley-Davidson world back in those days. It also had a unique personality. Personally, sometimes unique personalities when it comes to motorcycles are highly overrated.

·
Bronze member
3,120 Posts
The PP108 is a very noisy engine - lots of mechanical sounds going on. Have you listened to and ridden another Challenger for comparison?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The PP108 is a very noisy engine - lots of mechanical sounds going on. Have you listened to and ridden another Challenger for comparison?
Yes I have. The others are fine and I don't have problem with them. Mine sounds very different to me and like I said....it actually hurts to ride.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,048 Posts
Could we get a chance to hear it. I understand that a cell phone video poorly translates to what the listener would hear on this forum. My Challenger has some valve train noise and some gear whine but not anywhere near as bad as you are reporting.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,624 Posts
During the 1990s I used to ride a completely restored 1975 Norton 850 Commando. It really stood out in the Harley-Davidson world back in those days. It also had a unique personality. Personally, sometimes unique personalities when it comes to motorcycles are highly overrated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could we get a chance to hear it. I understand that a cell phone video poorly translates to what the listener would hear on this forum. My Challenger has some valve train noise and some gear whine but not anywhere near as bad as you are reporting.
Its in the shop so I can't sorry. The sound ends up feeling like its literally in my helmet. My ears can't handle it. Its a little better without a full face helmet but my bike next to another and u can clearly tell the difference

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could your helmet be amplifying the sound? Sounds crazy.
So I would say it louder or more troubling with a helmet and or with ear plugs. The prob i see is that if my bike is next to another Challenger u can totally tell the difference. I know without a fact that if I were to keep riding this bike in this condition and went for a long ride I would cause permanent hearing damage.

I do love the bike and just hope it can be fixed or things replaced. I want to enjoy the bike

·
Silver member
5,305 Posts
We need to hear it. That is a crazy comment that it would cause hearing damage.

It seems something that extreme would be easy to determine what the issue is. Or Indian just needs to gut it and put a new engine in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We need to hear it. That is a crazy comment that it would cause hearing damage.

It seems something that extreme would be easy to determine what the issue is. Or Indian just needs to gut it and put a new engine in.
[/QUOTE
Its strange. So I've had loud exhaust on bikes before. This is more like a vibration tone or frequency. I can't really explain it other than it feels like my ear drums are vibrating. I know it sounds strange but thats what I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry about your bike issues. I recommend, check engine, exhaust, helmet, ear-plugs and your hearing (doctor visit?). Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Rider
1,037 Posts
My ‘17 Road Master, probably a clanker lol was much noisier than the ‘21 Challenger. But it ran great for 50k miles. I haven’t noticed any unusual noise in 12k+ miles with the Challenger. I know in past rides changing out cams, exhaust, intakes etc… have added different noise. I had a ‘10 Ultra Limited that I bolted on a D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 exhaust. Performance wise along with mild cams and a Heavy Breather intake it was a “Torquer” most notable performance booster from any exhaust system I ever had. Problem was even with the intermediate baffle I discovered it amplified the valve train noise so much it almost made my ears bleed. It wasn’t extremely loud but I had a real high pitched whine now at highway speed that was actually painful. Impossible to ride it without ear plugs for any distance. Sure ran great though. Naturally I wear hearing aids now lol. I do not wear them while riding but have forgotten to take them out a couple of times. Every engine I’m around sounds like it’s flying apart with the aids in.

·
Rider
578 Posts
I didn’t notice any mention of any warning lights. Was your check engine light on, any codes thrown? If I was a betting man I’d put money on your bike being just fine and your helmet choice and or expectations of volume when riding is the issue. Sounds like you have extremely sensitive ears.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2021 Indian Challenger Dark Horse that I love and can't ride. Bike is currently in the shop for the 3rd time regarding a loud tone/vibration/noise coming from the motor. It isn't very loud but after riding for 20 min or longer it really kills the experience. The sound is so annoying it has given me headaches and ear aches. Unfortunately today I located other threads describing similar issues on other Indian models. I really hope they figure the problem out. I want it fixed or replaced.... Polaris/Indian please..... can't imagine spending close to 30k on a paper weight. I will keep everyone posted on what Indian does with my bike. Also if anybody has had similar issues please let me know how it was fixed. View attachment 660201 View attachment 660201
Well my bike is still in the shop. The dealer agrees that the bike is louder than other Challengers but im not sure if they have figured out a fix yet. I will be calling them tomorrow for an update. Bike has been there for just over 1 month and I'm not sure what they have tried or done. I will provide an update tomorrow. I will say that Polaris was some help but I'll be happy when the problem is resolved.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the Stator seemed to be loose and rattling around hopefully causing the tone/vibration/frequency sound i was describing. I hope a replacement Stator will solve my issues. I am currently waiting for the part to be ordered. I was informed that due to the Holidays and Vacations I will have to wait until the wk of Jan 4th before the Stator can even be ordered. I believe I took the bike in on 11/24 but honestly I'm just happy that a defective part was located. I hope this solves my problem. I will say the current dealer I am working with at least heard me out and attempted to look for a problem. A second dealer I went to said it was a "me" problem not a bike problem. The service manager went from service manager to medical Dr. And was diagnosing me with a medical problem. :) anyway Polaris and my current dealer have both been good so I just hope it gets resolved so I may enjoy my bike like the rest of you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Glad to see that a potential source of the issue has been identified. Hopefully that resolves the issue and you can get back to enjoying riding in general and your bike in particular. If a replacement stator doesn't resolve the issue and it were me, I would trade in the bike and be done with it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts