Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here is my dilemma......should I make the investment on my already paid for (and title-in-hand) 2015 Chieftain (currently has Stage II with FM tune) which runs "decent' or should I just cease putting performance dollars into the 111 and go with the PP108 in the Challenger? Me thinks there will be a LOT more power options from both Indian and the aftermarket with the new water cooled 108.....albeit at perhaps the same dollar to dollar spending investment.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. I love the classic look of my Chieftain, but I'm hearing really rave reviews about the power and execution the Challenger. Interested in hearing what you Injuns have to say! Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I dont know.
The grass always looks greener on other side but just as hard to mow.
Your original is paid and is FM tuned.
This alone should make it a keeper
BUT if you are kept up all night romansing the thought of having it.
You have the money then go for it.
Our opinion doesnt or shouldnt matter
Keep your 15 and buy Challenger keeping both.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Well @Mr.Xtreme doesn't know - and said it would matter if he did..
@ferraiolo1 wants you to go test ride a challenger - in Janurary ..

But hey, "we getting there"..

I got "sum moe" pearls from "intellects gone wild"... Our highest posted power levels are from a 116 @ 117hp/147trq (STD) at the rear wheels - BUT most 116 Stg 3 owners choose components that only allow 105-110 hp and 120-125 TRQ.

It seems that, at this point, from those that aren't totally trying to destroy the Challenger (or are extremely incompetent) with bogus dyno runs and charts, the Challenger makes "Standard 116 stage III" power (approx 108/113) off the showroom floor.. Suk on that (popsicle) a while..

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I test rode one in December when it was 30* out with some snow on the ground.

Not all of us are scared of a little cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
God Bless Texas
3,779 Posts
So, here is my dilemma......should I make the investment on my already paid for (and title-in-hand) 2015 Chieftain (currently has Stage II with FM tune) which runs "decent' or should I just cease putting performance dollars into the 111 and go with the PP108 in the Challenger? Me thinks there will be a LOT more power options from both Indian and the aftermarket with the new water cooled 108.....albeit at perhaps the same dollar to dollar spending investment.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. I love the classic look of my Chieftain, but I'm hearing really rave reviews about the power and execution the Challenger. Interested in hearing what you Injuns have to say! Thanks in advance!!!
my '14 has the BBK..... HP is at 120 , Torque is 130 . .. at the rear wheel. If this is a $$ question, go the 116.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
if it's really a dollar question... you should just stay where you are.. but if you can and want to.. there is a lot more upgrade with a Challenger than the power train...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
my '14 has the BBK..... HP is at 120 , Torque is 130 . .. at the rear wheel. If this is a $$ question, go the 116.
Nice ! All I know about your bike is that you are running Llyodz 585 cams..
Can you post your mod combo and your dyno chart ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Because the HP and Torque between the Challenger and the 116BBK are relatively similar, shouldn't the decision between the two weigh heavily on whether or not you want a fixed fairing?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Sounds to me that it depends on what you like. You bought the Chieftain for a reason, one of them how it looks. The Challenger in my humble opinion doesn't have the same head turning qualities. Just looks like another bagger. If you are wanting to go fast there are plenty of faster 2 wheelers out there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I rode 3 Challengers.
I've had my 14 Chieftain 116 long enough to have it well dialed in, both handling and power.
The bikes are about even in my view. Challenger is very good.
I have not ran off with Challenger but I think my Stage 3 with airflow mods will out run Challenger stock.
I really liked everything but the fixed fairing, prefer my Chieftain there.
I'm going to stay where I am for now, I love my Chieftain so much I will ride it all night in 30 degree weather, just can't get off it for some reason.
If Challenger gets the rumored cam and goes to 150 hp, I'll probably add nitrous to my 116 just for times I see a 150 hp Challenger.
If they wanted to sell me a Challenger, they never should have built such a great Chieftain.
At 50,000 miles, I swear my Chieftain is better than it was new, maybe if I could break it...
I keep trying, the damn thing is bullet proof.
All it ever wants is 93 octane and an oil change.

·
Registered
519 Posts

Thinking out loud! I know very little about your current bikes, miles, condition, etc BUT an educated guess of trade value $10000 New Challenger $28000? -$10000 =$18000 and your bike plus tax & paperwork! Not taking into consideration discounts or incentive programs! Wait 2 years....find used Challenger for $17000 + tax & paperwork....SPENT SAME $$ OR LESS AND HAVE 2 INDIANS!!! Now this is just for conversation but I'll bet I'm not too far wrong!!?? Do not want to debate...just for conversation and thought!! He who dies with the most toys wins, or that's what I've heard!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts