Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last trip, on hot days I noticed it was easy to get my Challenger to ping.
In 5 & 6th gears while passing cars.......open the throttle quickly and get a few pings until the ecm either makes fuel richer or retards timing.
Same gas brand with a few tankfulls at different locations. Will change gas brand to see if it makes a difference.
I will be glad when we have a tuner to make this engine "happy"
She moves good even with a bad oem tune....I can just imagine what a good tune will do.
Can reach 112 mph limit very easy in 5th & 6th.
Anybody else noticed pinging if throttle is opened quickly in the two high gears?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Agree with ya 3dCAD... when this ECU is finally unlocked & we can get a “happy” engine A/F ratio,, and lose the speed-limiter ...it’s going to be a HAPPY CHALLENGER DAY!!

My experience so far...
Best Perf when I’m able to burn 91 No-E gas. NO ping ever.
Setup is: Stage1Air, TAB decat & pipes with 1.75 baffles. Louder/deeper vs oem pipes, most noticeable above 2Krpm, comes ALIVE pushing past 3K all gears. Until a tune is avail, my opin is the 1.75 baff is giving a decent back pressure for the decat. After a tune (waiting for a Dynojet PV tune or equiv, not the piggyback PowerCommand,) -then I may switch to the 2.5 baffles; never the louder Zombies for me cuz no longer into loud just to be loud.
Ride On-

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine has been doing that from day one and i've complained about it and nothing has been done. I have been battling cold runability issues for 8 months still not fixed. I love this bike but I would like to shove it back up indians ass. If Iowa had lemon law on motorcycle I would have already done it on. What really scares me is all the pinging then down the road something happens and I do cams and a tune to actually correctly fuel it then they blame it on aftermarket.

·
Bronze member
4,281 Posts
That's what happens with water-cooled engines and the new Euro 5 emissions, The FTR has he same issues but the FTR uses the older Bosch ECU so there is a power vision for it.

The Challenger uses a brand new Bosch ECU that is very involved and it much more difficult to crack. Dynojet in the mean time just announced a Power Commander 5 for the Challenger (strap on fuel controller). This will only allow fuel adjustments, but I am curious since no one makes O2 adapters to keep the ECU in open loop anymore, how the Power Commander will really help with fueling since like the FTR much of the bikes power band is in closed loop. Also this won't address the speed limiter either.

Cams are another story. Indian has a patent on the cam release so I really don't expect cams for the Challenger from anyone else but Indian. Also another reason the engine has to be dropped and then your opening a water-cooled engine, were talking a very expensive cam upgrade and the last thing you want is crappy dealers doing it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I put new pipes on no baffles just a stepped tube going from 1.5 to 3.3 in the pipe, sounds great, runs good, should I get the stage one flash, the pipes are made by sharkroad and I have the stock air cleaner

·
Bronze member
1,567 Posts
What OCTANE fuel are you running? I made my 8,000 mile cross country trip on my Challenger and didn't have ONE problem. However, I did notice that when fueling up in Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa and other "corn country" states, the highest octane fuel you can acquire is 87. My bike pinged big time under load/full throttle acceleration. Once we got further east into 93 octane country, made a HUGE difference in performance. We have HIGH compression engines in our PP108's........you'll need at least 93 octane fuel to keep the pinging in check. Has nothing to do with an aftermarket tune.....though that may help with richening up your fuel mixture.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have never experienced any pinging on my Challenger. I do have the stage 1 flash for both exhaust and intake with TAB mufflers with 2-1/2" baffles and the snorkel for air intake. I run 91 octane with and without corn syrup. Never run 87. I would guess that the factory stage 1 flash does make it run richer than factory stock, if that is what you are running.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Best fuel we get Around here is 91 octane from multi pumps.
Its most likely a two part problem:
1- octane maybe a bit on the low side
2- Also we may get 1/2 to 3/4 gallons of remnant fuel what the last person used....most likely low octane regular.
I will try octane booster to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
554 Posts
On my last trip, on hot days I noticed it was easy to get my Challenger to ping.
In 5 & 6th gears while passing cars.......open the throttle quickly and get a few pings until the ecm either makes fuel richer or retards timing.
Same gas brand with a few tankfulls at different locations. Will change gas brand to see if it makes a difference.
I will be glad when we have a tuner to make this engine "happy"
She moves good even with a bad oem tune....I can just imagine what a good tune will do.
Can reach 112 mph limit very easy in 5th & 6th.
Anybody else noticed pinging if throttle is opened quickly in the two high gears?
I am surprised that if you are running 93 octane top tier gasoline that you would have this issue. Did you think about your Amsoil quickshot?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put new pipes on no baffles just a stepped tube going from 1.5 to 3.3 in the pipe, sounds great, runs good, should I get the stage one flash, the pipes are made by sharkroad and I have the stock air cleaner
I just bought a 2020 Roadmaster Elite and was thinking of going with the Sharkroad no baffle. How does it sound, Hopefully loud but not unbearable. Did you ever get an answer to your flash question. Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
The shark road pipes sound great, nice rumble and when you get on the throttle it has a nice bark, never got a answer about the flash, so I got the flash a couple weeks ago it runs good can't tell a big difference but it did help no problems with stalling while coming to a stop it did that a couple times before the pipes and the flash, the shark road pipes are good looking and half the price of the others, I would definitely buy them again, not too loud at idle but you can definitely hear them when you get on the throttle

·
Registered
3 Posts
The shark road pipes sound great, nice rumble and when you get on the throttle it has a nice bark, never got a answer about the flash, so I got the flash a couple weeks ago it runs good can't tell a big difference but it did help no problems with stalling while coming to a stop it did that a couple times before the pipes and the flash, the shark road pipes are good looking and half the price of the others, I would definitely buy them again, not too loud at idle but you can definitely hear them when you get on the throttle
Hey. Thanks alot. They are on Amazon right now for 289 and 25 coupon off that. Better than the grand for Stage 1s.and will sound better also! Safe riding!

·
Registered
207 Posts
hey can you post pics of the shark pipes on your bike, and sound clips to get a feel? sounds like it could be a good alternative.

·
Registered
566 Posts
When a PV is available, an actual tuner, Buy a PV from dyno jet and get it dyno tuned. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by Grayrat. My stupid spell check deleted half of what I wrote.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts