Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. I am looking at getting a Challenger within the next two years. Presently I have a 2005 HD Road King Classic.
I have ridden all of the Indians except for the Challenger and have ridden a HD Road Glide. In riding the Road Glide the head buffeting was horrendous. Neck was sore after a ride around Oahu.
Do you have buffeting with the Challenger? Does it ride like a Roadmaster? What kinds of issues have you run into?
Thank you,
Bill

·
Registered
933 Posts
I’d like to know as well. Following.

·
Bronze member
2,165 Posts
I've ridden one twice. Very nice bike, on my short list of to buy next. IMO, really solid handling, plenty of power, good brakes. I like that inverted fork setup. Not the prettiest to some. Indian just raised the Base list price by 1 thousand bucks. The exhaust sound has a slightly different tone and pulse than most V-Twins that some are used to. It didn't bother me, but it does sound different than my 111 engine. There was a slight glitch with early delivery models with throttle bodies, vacuum and programming. That's pretty much a thing of past now. Changing cams would require the entire motor to be dropped to install if and when available. Supposedly Lloydz is working on aftermarket cams. The aftermarket is slowly catching up with accessories, performance parts. Still limited though. Solid bike, solid performance. I'm sure others will be able to chime in more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’m 6’1” and I don’t feel any buffering at all even with the windshield all the way down. With the windshield up wind goes right over my head. I would want to get a taller windshield maybe and inch or 2. There’s a few companies that make aftermarket windshields that are taller.

I possibly have they issue of the throttle body. Engine would cut out while pulling up to a stop and pulling the clutch in. There was a recall on it and had it done. Now it doesn’t shut off as much. Every once in a long while while the bike is cold.

The issues with the bike are very minimal compared to riding the bike. So fun. So fast. So much power. Can’t wait till a tuner comes out to really open up the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
I’m 6’1” and I don’t feel any buffering at all even with the windshield all the way down. With the windshield up wind goes right over my head. I would want to get a taller windshield maybe and inch or 2. There’s a few companies that make aftermarket windshields that are taller.

I possibly have they issue of the throttle body. Engine would cut out while pulling up to a stop and pulling the clutch in. There was a recall on it and had it done. Now it doesn’t shut off as much. Every once in a long while while the bike is cold.

The issues with the bike are very minimal compared to riding the bike. So fun. So fast. So much power. Can’t wait till a tuner comes out to really open up the engine

You just need to have your throttle bodies synced properly and the download done correctly .. Are you stage 1 or stock .. Anywhere near NE Florida ?? I'll hook you up ...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger base model
53 Posts
I am new to the forum. I am looking at getting a Challenger within the next two years. Presently I have a 2005 HD Road King Classic.
I have ridden all of the Indians except for the Challenger and have ridden a HD Road Glide. In riding the Road Glide the head buffeting was horrendous. Neck was sore after a ride around Oahu.
Do you have buffeting with the Challenger? Does it ride like a Roadmaster? What kinds of issues have you run into?
Thank you,
Bill
I am also a taller rider (6'2"). I am looking at Challenger too. I am renting one for the day, at my local dealership on Thursday. I will report my thoughts about buffeting on Friday.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Damnit ... Ok .. Contact Redlands Indian ... I worked with them during the initial diagnostic and repair technique for Challengers with this issue .. The were very smart, motivated and understood very quickly what I was doing to fix these bikes ... I know for a fact the fixed at least 1 .... Quite a bit of the succes with this issue depends on how you do the download of the recalibration .... Can't stress that enough ...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Damnit ... Ok .. Contact Redlands Indian ... I worked with them during the initial diagnostic and repair technique for Challengers with this issue .. The were very smart, motivated and understood very quickly what I was doing to fix these bikes ... I know for a fact the fixed at least 1 .... Quite a bit of the succes with this issue depends on how you do the download of the recalibration .... Can't stress that enough ...
Thank you. I will. When I contacted the dealership closest to me he said that his bike is doing the same and I should look into getting the air cleaner to get more air into the bike because it’s not getting enough air into the engine. And to warm it up when I ride

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should add some more information about myself. I am 5’11” (I have shrunk) an I like to be able to look just over the windshield. I was able to do just that when sitting on the bike in a showroom. The stock shield just comes up to about my nose. I ride mostly in Michigan with temperatures from 16F to 100F as the hottest. Prefer not riding on ice or snow but have had to a couple of times just to get home from work. Never wear electric gear.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,099 Posts
The Challenger has its own seat. I love the adjustable windshield. I can look over it easily when at the lowest setting and it protects nicely when up. I'm from Ohio and got my bike in March so I started in the cold and rode with the windshield all the way up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you,
Bill
Wakohn , I’m also in the market to upgrade to the Challenger hopefully spring. I currently ride a 11’ Road Glide Ultra, prior to that was a 07’ Road King Classic. The difference from those two bikes was impressive to me, far better ride on the RGU but with the stock windshield it was un-rideable. I’m 6’5” and will have to put a taller windshield on the Challenger adding @ 3” . The difference in the RGU and Challenger would be like comparing a 70’s challenger to today’s Hellcat.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm 6'2" and have had 3 RoadGlides and in August traded my 2011 RG for a Base Challenger and have not regretted it. WAY more performance than HD and handling is pronominal. The only thing I've switched was the windshield. I've had the Windvest shields on 2 of my RG and loved the way they direct the wind over your head so I put one on the Challenger and with the windshield adjustability, you can pretty much sit in a nice calm pocket. When I ride I wear a hat called a Robo Cap and it has no problem staying on my head at highway speeds.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I’m 6’ bought my Challenger in November put 50 miles on before the snow hit in Michigan.

Currently sitting just under 9000 miles no issues before recall or after on engine.

Ride command pissed me of a couple times but updates are curing that.

Travel highways at 80-85 mph no wind buffeting.
David

·
Registered
234 Posts
Another great feature - the vent doors integrated into the fairing. Riding below 50 mph and a warm day = shield down and vents open. Riding above 65 and/or cold day = shield up and vents closed. The calm-air bubble is dramatic in the latter condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had a HD Street Glide and Roadglide, Had to make wind screen changes to both to help with head bang syndrome. Have had the 2020 Challenger for a month now. Love it. little to no buffeting With stock wind screen up it is at were the HD bikes ended up with after market. I just added the re-curve, mostly for looks but it improves it even more. I am 6 foot if that helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really want Indian to come out with a Challenger that is set up like the HD Road Glide Limited.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts