Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a 2020 Challenger after 36 years of HD riding. My decision based mainly on suspension and horse power. I live in NE Ohio and we typically are riding "MOTOCROSS" for the better half of our riding season. The holes "in the road" are slowly transformed into mounds "on the road" then it's winter. It can be a constant barrage on your vertebrata and tests your riding skills every year.

I'm new to the Indian / Victory / Polaris crowd and was very impressed with a test ride on a Roadmaster a few years ago. When the Challenger was introduced I made the move and here I am. BTW... I'm very happy so far BUT....here are a few dislikes that I have with this new model. Remember these are my opinion.

The horn is embarrassingly weak and sounds weak.
The stock handlebar height was too low for my liking - just to confirm, I'm not an ape hanger guy either. - I rolled mine up as far as I could.
The right side storage compartment is useless due to the USB cord being located in front.
The large caution sticker that was placed on the gas tank was unnecessary and difficult to remove.
The gas tank trim (insert) appears to be coming loose after 750 miles.
The info screen has an apparent flaw because I just got screen protectors from Indian.
The turn signal switch feels like it will not last - purely speculation on my part but it feels cheap.
There is a gap in the saddlebag lids - this could be an issue if riding in a downpour for any length of time.
The small plastic washer that is on the highway pegs broke after ONE use - one flip up and down and snap..!

I also wanted to add some auxiliary LED lighting for added visibility / cell phone protection. The Dealer would NOT splice them into the system. They are an Indian product and will fit the RM and Chieftain models. Apparently if its not plug and play they WON'T play. I guess I can reluctantly see their point when it comes to the complicated electronic systems on these new bikes and warranty guidelines. Then again, I have to call BS...based on the fact that LED lights don't draw that much juice and would be spliced in "down line" from the stock turn signal. Like thousands of other bikes on the road I don't foresee a problem if installed correctly. My other option will be to wire them directly off the battery via auxiliary switch and use them as running lights, which I will do. So....my advice to Indian would be to research / verify auxiliary lighting options.

Other than these few quirky dislikes on my behalf I am excited I bought this bike. I am not a polisher - I'm a punisher,... so I will keep you posted on the good and bad experiences that I have on this new 2020 model. PLEASE comment with your opinions whether you agree or disagree. Be Smart, Stay Safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I've recently purchased a 2020 Challenger after 36 years of HD riding. My decision based mainly on suspension and horse power. I live in NE Ohio and we typically are riding "MOTOCROSS" for the better half of our riding season. The holes "in the road" are slowly transformed into mounds "on the road" then it's winter. It can be a constant barrage on your vertebrata and tests your riding skills every year.

I'm new to the Indian / Victory / Polaris crowd and was very impressed with a test ride on a Roadmaster a few years ago. When the Challenger was introduced I made the move and here I am. BTW... I'm very happy so far BUT....here are a few dislikes that I have with this new model. Remember these are my opinion.

The horn is embarrassingly weak and sounds queer.
The stock handlebar height was too low for my liking - just to confirm, I'm not an ape hanger guy either. - I rolled mine up as far as I could.
The right side storage compartment is useless due to the USB cord being located in front.
The large caution sticker that was placed on the gas tank was unnecessary and difficult to remove.
The info screen has an apparent flaw because I just got screen protectors from Indian.
The turn signal switch feels like it will not last - purely speculation on my part but it feels cheap.
There is a gap in the saddlebag lids - this could be an issue if riding in a downpour for any length of time.
The small plastic washer that is on the highway pegs broke after ONE use - one flip up and down and snap..!

I also wanted to add some auxiliary LED lighting for added visibility / cell phone protection. The Dealer would NOT splice them into the system. They are an Indian product and will fit the RM and Chieftain models. Apparently if its not plug and play they WON'T play. I guess I can reluctantly see their point when it comes to the complicated electronic systems on these new bikes and warranty guidelines. Then again, I have to call BS...based on the fact that LED lights don't draw that much juice and would be spliced in "down line" from the stock turn signal. Like thousands of other bikes on the road I don't foresee a problem if installed correctly. My other option will be to wire them directly off the battery via auxiliary switch and use them as running lights, which I will do. So....my advice to Indian would be to research / verify auxiliary lighting options.

Other than these few quirky dislikes on my behalf I am excited I bought this bike. I am not a polisher - I'm a punisher,... so I will keep you posted on the good and bad experiences that I have on this new 2020 model. PLEASE comment with your opinions whether you agree or disagree. Be Smart, Stay Safe.
There's an old saying in the automobile industry-- NEVER buy the first year production of anything!

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts

The horn is embarrassingly weak and sounds queer.

Indians use a Can-bus system that's overly sensitive when adding electrical components. That being said there are many LED options designed for can-bus that work with Indian.

Custom Dynamics makes a lot of can-bus friendly options that work with Indian.

Many dealers will say something won't work because they just don't know. There are a lot of really good dealerships with knowledgeable techs. And there are quite a few with morons that hurt the brand. Indian purged several of these dealerships over the years. Just as a FYI, if you get resistance from your dealership on warranty or any other item, contact Indian directly, it has worked wonders for many owners.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Congratulations!
I just purchased my 1st Indian as well. Went with the DH Sandstone Smoke.

I've noticed they used an excessive amount of glue that is seeping out around the rubber gasket that's on the tank console. Haven't tried to clean it yet, but it's annoying.

My Saddlebags didn't seem to close completely either. I found that pushing them down at the release gave me that 2nd click. I figure the sealing gasket is so new that it will seat in over time.

I've only got a little over 600 miles on the bike and am loving the torque and the suspension.

I didn't care for the stock bars either, so went with the Indian Mid-Rise. 1st time riding with this style of bars. I really like the added control I have.

I didn't go with the Indian hwy pegs. That price was ridiculous! As many of the other OE upgrades I did.

I want more rear light too, so hopefully that market takes interest in this bike.

I just ordered the Eagle Gen2 w/Halo. Didn't really care for the stock headlight projection.

As with any new product, I'm sure there will be mods the factory will consider as they sort through the feedback.
So far...... I'm grinning every time I twist that throttle. 😁😎

·
Founding member
875 Posts
Call Rob Gregory, owner of Gregory Polaris in Little Rock, M.J. 501-834-0344. He is a great guy and a great dealer who is easy to speak with. He is very helpful on lighting and everything else on Indians. I personally know two Columbus, Ohio police officers who bought their Indians from Rob and who go nowhere else. He is the best. He has sold Indians to riders in every state except Hawaii and California and helps riders from all over the country who call him. I live 480 miles south of Gregory Polaris in South Texas, have a dealer ten miles away, and I go nowhere but Gregory Polaris. Give him a call. You'll be glad you did.

·
Founding member
875 Posts
I wish we had an 'edit' feature on this forum but since we don't I have to post again. I should have mentioned that Gregory Polaris installed Hyper Lights on the rear of my Roadmaster which work with my brakes and turn signals and super, high intensity lights that fit flush on my engine guards in the front. The front lights help a lot on the road and light up the ditches as well! I, like you folks, like to see and BE SEEN!. :)

·
Bronze Member
1,413 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
I wish we had an 'edit' feature on this forum but since we don't I have to post again. I should have mentioned that Gregory Polaris installed Hyper Lights on the rear of my Roadmaster which work with my brakes and turn signals and super, high intensity lights that fit flush on my engine guards in the front. The front lights help a lot on the road and light up the ditches as well! I, like you folks, like to see and BE SEEN!. :)
There is an edit feature .Click on the three Dots on the upper right hand corner of your post

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's an old saying in the automobile industry-- NEVER buy the first year production of anything!
I know that.....but I did it anyway... :oops:
I also made the move because I still had some trade equity left on my 2012 Electra Glide that was not in the best condition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Indians use a Can-bus system that's overly sensitive when adding electrical components. That being said there are many LED options designed for can-bus that work with Indian.

Custom Dynamics makes a lot of can-bus friendly options that work with Indian.

Many dealers will say something won't work because they just don't know. There are a lot of really good dealerships with knowledgeable techs. And there are quite a few with morons that hurt the brand. Indian purged several of these dealerships over the years. Just as a FYI, if you get resistance from your dealership on warranty or any other item, contact Indian directly, it has worked wonders for many owners.
Good to know, I got the vibe that these guys were "MONITOR" mechanics..... if they can't read how to do it it on their monitor, they can't do it..

·
Rider
755 Posts
M.J.Hooligan
"PLEASE comment with your opinions whether you agree or disagree."

Your bars are not as high as they can go,
The saddlebag lid is sprung, and there's no way your dealer delivered that to you in that condition
The gas cover trim and broken foot rest clip are warranty items
And as for the useless right compartment, I didn't even move the USB cable and a giant WD40 can slid in with ease
3200 miles and even after disassembling the turn signal switch to install new grips, works perfect
The screen protector cuts glare and prevents scratching.

really 003.JPG really 004.JPG really 010.JPG really 009.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
M.J.Hooligan

The saddlebag lid is sprung, and there's no way your dealer delivered that to you in that condition
And as for the useless right compartment, I didn't even move the USB cable and a giant WD40 can slid in with ease
3200 miles and even after disassembling the turn signal switch to install new grips, works perfect

View attachment 590858 View attachment 590859 View attachment 590860 View attachment 590861

sandspur - It sounds like I ruffle a few feathers my Indian friend..?? My bars are as high as I could get them, actually they appear equal to or a bit higher than yours.

Yes, the dealer did in fact deliver the bike (saddlebags) in this very condition, if you are referring to them being sprung by overloading, I have not stored anything in them as of yet. But I am glad to see that your lids fit tight.

Regardless of warranty items or not the trim and foot peg should not be this vulnerable to damage so quickly - one application of up & down and 750 miles. I hope you don't find these acceptable.

As for the screen protectors - obliviously you did not read the letter attached with the package. "QUOTE" Dear Indian Owner, This notice is to inform you that your vehicles Ride Command screen is not meeting our product quality and durability standards.

I'll give you your WD40 can, but an 11 inch USB cord coming from the back of the compartment to the front is not my idea of good ergonomics or engineering, it's an inconvenience. A USB port located on the dash would have been fine. My USB is thick and not easily straightened since it had been balled up and stuffed in the back of the compartment probably by the same person who installed my saddlebags. Never-the-less I agree to disagree, I am so hoping this bike lives up to its potential for the long haul.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Another thing you didn’t point out, the front of the speedometer and tach will fill up with water if you get caught in the rain.

I’m sure the design team at Indian already have a list of improvements started for the first design update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
M.J.Hooligan

View attachment 590858 View attachment 590859 View attachment 590860 View attachment 590861
Another thing you didn’t point out, the front of the speedometer and tach will fill up with water if you get caught in the rain.

I’m sure the design team at Indian already have a list of improvements started for the first design update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you kidding me...?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Your post was good for a few laughs , maybe you can still trade back for your Harley.
* edited to keep it civil — really sharp response. // Hink

I initially waited to setup for test ride because of the engine issues only to have covid 19 put a damper on rides and more so hopefully I will get on one by the end of this week.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If everyone did that, we'd never have any vehicles.

I understand not wanting to run into issues and I had the same thoughts when I was looking to buy. In the end, I'm really glad I bought my Challenger.

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
The horn is embarrassingly weak and sounds weak.
Most likley this way to accommodate most riders short and tall. They then can up sell you new bars

That is required by law. All bikes have them

This is a new unit made by Harmon Kardon, hopefully they will fix the issues with it.

Indian started using these plastic chrome switch cubes back on the 2018 models. (gotta mage those costs...:(
Indian does make good bikes but have gone to more plastic and cheaper fit and finish very similar to the metric V Twins

1 - 20 of 55 Posts