Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Indian have posted some Challenger how to posts on YouTube that owner’s may find helpful

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Funny, I went looking for the battery on mine. Popped the seat, no battery. Found it under the radiator.

·
Bronze member
1,501 Posts
Doing my first oil/filter change this weekend....as my dealer is closed and locked up tighter than a bulls arss in the winter!!!! I checked with the Service Manager and even tho this first oil/filter would be part of the 500 mile inspection and service, he told me to keep the receipts of BOTH the oil and filter as proof that the job was done (just in case I have a warranty problem later).....so that's what I'm going to do. I'll report back after the job is done.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,230 Posts
Doing my first oil/filter change this weekend....as my dealer is closed and locked up tighter than a bulls arss in the winter!!!! I checked with the Service Manager and even tho this first oil/filter would be part of the 500 mile inspection and service, he told me to keep the receipts of BOTH the oil and filter as proof that the job was done (just in case I have a warranty problem later).....so that's what I'm going to do. I'll report back after the job is done.
I'm doing the exact same thing. I ordered the official Indian kit as well just to be safe!

·
Bronze member
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t have a Challenger but found the posts interesting especially the battery location one.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,230 Posts
No, but I have the stage one. From what I saw in a diagram, it looks to be buried.

·
Bronze member
2,206 Posts
All that just to clean or replace the air filter, wow. Makes the 111 look like a piece of cake.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's funny watching the maintenance videos... all of these things (changing the air filter / battery replacement) all of these are the exact same steps I needed to do when I had my Victory Cross Country Tour. And people still say that the Challenger wasn't the next Victory...... SMH

·
Bronze member
1,501 Posts
Not a difficult project.....just a LOT of work. Agree with Jay, good winter project. Next question I have; how soon will the aftermarket come up with a higher flow filter letting more air into the combustion chambers? I suspect that will require a re-tune of the ECU for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Not a difficult project.....just a LOT of work. Agree with Jay, good winter project. Next question I have; how soon will the aftermarket come up with a higher flow filter letting more air into the combustion chambers? I suspect that will require a re-tune of the ECU for obvious reasons.
LLoydz had a K&N type hi flow air filter element for the Cross Country - so it would probably be an exact bolt-on?

·
Bronze member
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you think changing the air filter is a ball ache on the Challenger, try changing one on the GL1800

·
Bronze member
1,501 Posts
I have to assume some of these manufacturers design stuff for the benefit of their dealers service departments......and not the consumer. But after having watched the video, it is NOT a difficult job. I always rate repair work on the level of difficulty.....and not as much the amount of time which goes into the effort. Heck, now we all (well most of us) have a LOT of time on your hands!!!!!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I went to an Indian dealer here in California when the Challenger first came out and was shown if you have the dealer install the Indian performance air intake on the Challenger the dealer will mount some type of required emissions device on the front left side of the engine. The next time I’m there I’ll get a picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,230 Posts
If you read the directions for the install on the stage 1, they show how to relocate that device for the CA models.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Tee hee..
So far the challengers maintenance is much like every other bike I've every owned..
Except a Harley..
Y'all are soooo cute! 😁😎
Welcome to Modern engineering and efficient packaging!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts