Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

We all know that the horn is lacking on the Challenger. A few of us have replaced it and I wanted to share what I did. I’m going to share the part numbers that I used and the first post will be very picture heavy.

TL;DR - Horn sucks, replacement is pretty easy - need a wiring adapter if you don’t want to cut factory wires

My Goals:
  • Replace the stock horn
  • No cutting of factory wiring
  • Factory looking install with no wires run to the battery / factory switch
I already had a Denali sound bomb mini so I decided to use that. On my other bike, I had to install a wiring harness directly to the battery to power it correctly. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to on this bike and confirmed after testing that it worked without issues:

Part numbers: (Metri-Pack 280 Sealed Connectors)
  • Connector: Aptive/Delphi 15300002
  • Terminal: Aptive/Delphi 12129497 (This varies depending on wire size… I used too large of gauge wire so had to use bigger connectors.)
  • Seal: Aptive/Delphi 12129497 (Same as the terminal)
  • Lock: Aptive/Delphi 15300014
  • Wire: What I had laying around
  • Horn: Denali SoundBomb Mini (SoundBomb™ Mini Electromagnetic Low Tone Horn) - They're about $30.
First step: Removing the fairing to find the horn.

Close up of the horn and connectors:

The Sound Bomb Mini next to the factory horn.

Wiring Harness Parts and assembly:

Final Product:

For the install, I re-used the mounting arms from the stock horn. There were 3 of them stacked together. I thought that was too rigid so I started with one but it was too loose. I ended up using 2 of them and that seemed to be just right.

I have an accidental video of me using the factory horn, I need to do another one at the same distance with the new one but it sounds MUCH better and is a little louder.

It only took about 30 minutes start to finish to do the full install which included removing the fairing and putting it back on, and making the connector. Now that I’ve done it a few times, it would be much quicker. I had much more time in tracking down the parts and figuring out what I needed. I hope this helps someone!

Thanks!
TechRider

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks so much! I will have the fairing off soon to swap KST bars and I want to do the horn at the same time. Your info makes this a piece of cake. Ensign

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad I could help!

·
Registered
107 Posts
TechRider-

I swapped out the horn using your adapter while putting on the KST Bars- Major difference in tone quality and loudness. Major Thanks to you Man!- Just in time too- back to Texas next week to ride the Twisted Sisters in the Hill Country with a brother of mine. If you are close to Kerrville, Texas let me know-

Denali Sound Bomb Mini with the adapter is the way to go-

Here is a link to TechRider's plug kit on Amazon so you can plug into the stock Indian horn harness. I used 12 gauge wire

Ride Safe-

Ensign

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad it helped!

Texas is a ways away from me, I'm in Northwestern Ohio.

Reactions: Ensign Pulver

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hello Everyone,

We all know that the horn is lacking on the Challenger. A few of us have replaced it and I wanted to share what I did. I’m going to share the part numbers that I used and the first post will be very picture heavy.

TL;DR - Horn sucks, replacement is pretty easy - need a wiring adapter if you don’t want to cut factory wires

My Goals:
  • Replace the stock horn
  • No cutting of factory wiring
  • Factory looking install with no wires run to the battery / factory switch
I already had a Denali sound bomb mini so I decided to use that. On my other bike, I had to install a wiring harness directly to the battery to power it correctly. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to on this bike and confirmed after testing that it worked without issues:

Part numbers: (Metri-Pack 280 Sealed Connectors)
  • Connector: Aptive/Delphi 15300002
  • Terminal: Aptive/Delphi 12129497 (This varies depending on wire size… I used too large of gauge wire so had to use bigger connectors.)
  • Seal: Aptive/Delphi 12129497 (Same as the terminal)
  • Lock: Aptive/Delphi 15300014
  • Wire: What I had laying around
  • Horn: Denali SoundBomb Mini (SoundBomb Mini Electromagnetic Low Tone Horn) - They're about $30.
First step: Removing the fairing to find the horn.

Close up of the horn and connectors:

The Sound Bomb Mini next to the factory horn.

Wiring Harness Parts and assembly:

Final Product:

For the install, I re-used the mounting arms from the stock horn. There were 3 of them stacked together. I thought that was too rigid so I started with one but it was too loose. I ended up using 2 of them and that seemed to be just right.

I have an accidental video of me using the factory horn, I need to do another one at the same distance with the new one but it sounds MUCH better and is a little louder.

It only took about 30 minutes start to finish to do the full install which included removing the fairing and putting it back on, and making the connector. Now that I’ve done it a few times, it would be much quicker. I had much more time in tracking down the parts and figuring out what I needed. I hope this helps someone!

Thanks!
TechRider
How did you attach the wires to the pins/terminals? Do you have a crimper or did you just use pliers?

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Challenger...Sandstone Smoke
181 Posts
I did something similar to this install but I installed an air horn under the right side engine cover where the purge canister would be. I used the crimpers below to attach the wires to the pins for the pins in the connector. IMO pliers will not do them correctly or securely.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you attach the wires to the pins/terminals? Do you have a crimper or did you just use pliers?

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've got about 5 different styles of crimpers. One set will properly do most types of pins but I typically purchase an off name set if I think I'll be doing more than a couple. Especially for the quality of work I wanted to do on this bike.

Reactions: Gearset807
1 - 12 of 12 Posts