Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to use my horn the other day on my Challenger....and man, was I surprised as to how lame it is. Is it me or are they all like that? I assume the aftermarket makes a much more presentable horn for our bikes. Any suggestions? I was really let down....and actually hit the horn a couple times to see if it had to be "set" by an electrical charge with a couple toots. Woefully deficient in my opinion for a $28K bike.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Reactions: Bull kc

·
Rider
858 Posts
I had to use my horn the other day on my Challenger....and man, was I surprised as to how lame it is. Is it me or are they all like that? I assume the aftermarket makes a much more presentable horn for our bikes. Any suggestions? I was really let down....and actually hit the horn a couple times to see if it had to be "set" by an electrical charge with a couple toots. Woefully deficient in my opinion for a $28K bike.
There must be something wrong with the horn on your bike, have your dealer check it out.
The horn on my bike is very loud.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On a similar note, essentially a safety-first design issue, what was Indian thinking removing the rear brake light assembly and integrating the brakes in with the less visible blinkers. Don't they know that about 30% of all MC collisions are rear-end crashes? Not only should there be a large single brake light back there, but with today's technology, safety-conscious riders, and knuckle-headed distracted cagers, Indian should have the brakes strobe or flash intermittently as a back-off warning to other drivers in addition to the blinkers and brakes doubling as driving lights day and night. IMHO...

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Rider
858 Posts
On a similar note, essentially a safety-first design issue, what was Indian thinking removing the rear brake light assembly and integrating the brakes in with the less visible blinkers. Don't they know that about 30% of all MC collisions are rear-end crashes? Not only should there be a large single brake light back there, but with today's technology, safety-conscious riders, and knuckle-headed distracted cagers, Indian should have the brakes strobe or flash intermittently as a back-off warning to other drivers in addition to the blinkers and brakes doubling as driving lights day and night. IMHO...
I think you are confusing surface area with light intensity. It's the output in lumen that determines the distance at which a light can be seen. Look at automobile LED headlights and how they are 1/4 the size of halogen assemblies.

Actually, if your phone is in your hand it doesn't matter how big or bright the light is.

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
View attachment 577525
Here is mine on a 2017 Chieftain Limited. I have the 8" model but there is a 15" length as well. Available in chrome or black. The First and Only Indian Motorcycle Trumpet Air Horn System Doesn't appear there is one for the Challenger yet, but Randy just might make one if the demand is there.;)
same as mine... I liked the looks of the 8 better... and the higher pitch of the sound gets others attention real quick... (it sounds like a rail yard engine or tugboat) and I think Randy did say they are working on a Challenger mount... easy peezy to install

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree man. A kazoo would be louder than that horn.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,242 Posts
They went cheap somewhere after 2015 as the 15 Chieftain had a good loud horn. They're all cheapie moped sounding, like the ones on the Scouts now. Metal to plastic handlebar switch boxes and the horns went cheap at about the same time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think you are confusing surface area with light intensity. It's the output in lumen that determines the distance at which a light can be seen. Look at automobile LED headlights and how they are 1/4 the size of halogen assemblies.

Actually, if your phone is in your hand it doesn't matter how big or bright the light is.
I'd feel better if they added some programmable flashing or strobing to those units; that might be enough to catch the attention of the idiot on the phone... we need all the help we can get! :cry:

·
Rider
858 Posts
I'd feel better if they added some programmable flashing or strobing to those units; that might be enough to catch the attention of the idiot on the phone... we need all the help we can get! :cry:
There are numerous after market tail light options available to suit the tastes and wallets of every rider.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are numerous after market tail light options available to suit the tastes and wallets of every rider.
Yep... just waiting for those folks to catch up to this new model and any nuances related to the electronics of the bike... many of those units are not plug'n play. I like plug'n play... Thx!

·
Rider
858 Posts
You know, if I didn't own a Challenger and read about "the transmission problem" and the "toy horn problem" and Chinese wiring coupled with plastic switch housings issues, I might think the bike I love and can't stay off of , is a piece of shyte.
And for the people who bought the base model for $6500 less and then complain that it doesn't have all the stuff on it , please feel free to join the real world.
I am hoping that all this is healthy trolling is an attempt by owners of the other American cruisers to shade a bike they will never see on a competitors showroom.
The Challenger is not just a new bike from Indian, it is a new benchmark for cruisers.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,242 Posts
Most all of those little nit-picky things are easily corrected for the most part by the owner.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My Springfield horn is reasonably loud but the tone sounds like a Clowns nose being honked! A bit embarassing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've been working with the guys at Custom Dynamics to get strobing brake lights on my Challenger with their Plasma Rods. I'll post up details when I get the project finished up.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts