Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a demo ride on a 2020 Challenger and I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Sure it has more power but for me I'll take the Chieftain any day!

For me the seat wasn't as comfortable and the rear brake is a peg and not a pedal. It had me always trying to locate the brake and missing it a few times. It definitely left me wanting my Chieftain more!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I had ridden a Road Glide for 12 years and loved the bike. When I test rode it new in 2004 it felt like it was made for me even though it was the very first time I rode a bike with a fixed fairing. Twelve years later I sold it to buy a car. I went for a year without a bike and had to get back in riding again - it was 2017. I tried the new Harleys and didn’t like them. They just didn’t feel right. The seating position felt wrong for me. I test rode an Indian and loved it - it just felt right but they didn’t have a fixed fairing bike at the time so I bought an Indian anyway because it felt so much better than the current crop of Harley’s.

When the Challenger came out I wished they had it when I was looking for a bike to replace my Road Glide.

But........I test rode a Challenger for the first time about a month ago and to my surprise I didn’t like it. The seating position felt wrong, the floorboards felt too far forward and too high and it felt like a long reach across a long and high fuel tank. The clutch had a funny feeling when engaging it.

All this is just my opinion but to my surprise the Chieftain feels like it fits me so much better than the Challenger. I was really surprised because I thought I knew the Challenger would be the perfect bike for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I Rode my Buddy’s Challenger for about 30 miles a few Weeks back. I loved the power and handling, it wasn’t as comfortable as my Chieftain, but I figured with some more time on the seat it would feel just as comfortable as my Chieftain. I was actually surprised I liked it, I had never ridden a fixed fairing bike prior to that. Really no different than a bike with the faring mounted to the shocks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
100% agree with Knobber, nice bike and all, but not enough to get rid of my Chieftain DH. It just felt.............cheap

Reactions: Kost

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been wanting to ride the Challenger since it came out, and finally got the chance at Coastal Indian in Myrtle Beach last week. I was impressed with the smoothness and power of the engine, but otherwise, I really didn't like it. I'm MUCH more comfortable on my '19 Chieftain Limited. Really didn't like the fixed faring, or the overall layout of the cockpit. Overall, pretty disappointing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts