Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts
I bought PSR adjustable levers from day one after buying my challenger. I bought them because I wanted black levers but the adjustment in the made it that much better. These are the levers I bought

You adjust the length of the cable. There is not need to replace the lever.
Adjustable levers would be a much better option but does not really help feel going between older and newer Indians. You can maybe add a millimeter or two of slack from the recommended spec before you are in dangerous territory... your clutch cable disengaging from the little stamped connection at the bottom of the housing. Watch this closely if using this method.

Where did you buy your adjustable clutch? Would you be able to post a link?
quic
Adjustable levers would be a much better option but does not really help feel going between older and newer Indians. You can maybe add a millimeter or two of slack from the recommended spec before you are in dangerous territory... your clutch cable disengaging from the little stamped connection at the bottom of the housing. Watch this closely if using this method. This applies to challengers and 2021 116 bikes, not older ones. You could have all the slack that would be functional and that cable is never going to detach from either end.

Well that proves how much some of these factory reps know or understand. The modes do not have any bearing on the clutch operation or feel. Modes only effect the throttle response or perceived throttle response and I'm not sure if they even do anything at all with fuel, timing or anything else. The clutch has a small friction zone because of the design of the clutch input shaft. The very short arc and "mickey mouse" attachment means very small friction zone. If you only own and ride a challenger you'll get used to it like it's not a problem. If you own older Indians (2020 and older) or other bikes it will make you go "there is something wrong with that clutch"! It's enough of a problem for me coming from 2 Indians with wide friction zone clutches, I won't buy a newer one with that clutch setup.
Seems pretty silly to me, I have no problem adjusting from the Chieftain to the Challenger. Have you never had to switch between multiple manual transmission vehicles with different feeling clutches?

Reactions: WillShootem
I agree with the OP about the clutch friction zone and "click". I'm not crazy about it and it'll be addressed at the 5K mile service.
My locking gas cap doesn't UNLOCK any more. The last several times I got gas I had to unscrew the entire cap assembly to get fuel in.
PS - Ride Command sucks.
We'll see how long I keep this bike... :unsure:

I stalled mine a few times taking off at first but quickly got used to it. The engagement can be abrupt when I'm not careful. It takes a little concentration to be smooth going through the gears with it.

Seems pretty silly to me, I have no problem adjusting from the Chieftain to the Challenger. Have you never had to switch between multiple manual transmission vehicles with different feeling clutches?
What seems silly to some is a no go with others. I've driven all type of machines with clutches...they are all different.. The main point is why did they take something they have had for years with a wide friction zone and turn it into something similar to an on/off switch? It's not like they redesigned the lower end of the challenger, many parts are exactly the same. Glad you like your Challenger clutch but it's the one major thing that will prevent me from buying one or any new Indian with a 116.

I just did my 500 mile oil change. I used Mobil 20w-50 v twin instead of indian oil. It's not jaso just sg sj cf.
Well, first ride today and instantly noticed the clutch was MUCH less grabby and friction zone was slightly longer. Quite surprising and unexpected.

Hey all,
I have a new 2020 Challenger Limited. I haven't seen anyone talking about the clutch yet, so I thought I'd open this thread.

The clutch engagement range seems very short to me. Am I the only one? From fully disengaged to fully engaged it's probably less than 1/2" of lever travel. I've adjusted the lever and have the suggested 1-2mm of free play. It's not the end of the world, but makes perfectly smooth clutch modulation at slow speeds a little harder than with other bikes I ride.

Also, I have noticed that occasionally while upshifting into 2nd or 3rd, as the clutch is pulled in, I sometimes feel a click in the lever as I click the shifter up into the next gear. I think this is more likely to happen when the bike isn't fully warmed up. I haven't been able to pin down when or why this happens yet, but is also unusual compared to other bikes. Has anyone else felt this?

Cheers
I have experienced the same issues and brought it to the attention of my service dept. and they installed a Barnett cable, and I wasn't the first one either, but honestly the issue isn't 100% gone, its better but not right in my opinion, certainly different than Chieftains and Roadmasters

After two days on the new Challenger I find the clutch no big deal. I’m not sure but my ‘21 bike has a better clutch feel than my wife’s’20 model.

What seems silly to some is a no go with others. I've driven all type of machines with clutches...they are all different.. The main point is why did they take something they have had for years with a wide friction zone and turn it into something similar to an on/off switch? It's not like they redesigned the lower end of the challenger, many parts are exactly the same. Glad you like your Challenger clutch but it's the one major thing that will prevent me from buying one or any new Indian with a 116.
The clutch was redesigned because it needed to. It is a slipper clutch, as torque increases the clutch pack tightens, and as torque decreases the clutch slips more. The clutch on the FTR is the same.

Just something to get used to. Many like the quick small zone on the clutches like the challenger because it aids in speed shifting.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.