Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well since the Challenger seems to be all the buzz today I thought I would do a little comparison to Harleys road glide since that is its competitor in this class. I posted a comparison of the specs here to save you all the trouble of finding them yourself. Indian really came out swinging and I personally love they did it with a liquid cooled motor. Riding an air cooled motor in the Arizona heat is brutal plus you can do a lot more with a liquid cooled motor so I cant wait to see where this goes. What do I like about the Challenger? Other than being liquid cooled as I mentioned there are the Inverted front forks, Brembo brakes, Fox rear shock, and some really solid performance numbers. My attached comparison sheet has both the Road Glide 107 (lower end) and the Road Glide Special 114. I did not include the CVO since the price tag puts it well outside of the Challenger price.

My one question about this new bike? Can we put a VooDoo air cleaner on it... ?

DISCLAIMER #1: Harley does not publish horsepower on their website and Indian does not publish horsepower at the wheel. The 110 HP on the chart for the Challenger is an estimate since we cant put one on a dyno yet. The HP numbers for the Harley are taken from Cycle World Magazine and confirmed with other published results for Harley's M8 motor. Dont split hairs here as Dyno numbers can very. These are a good basic number. All other numbers are from the manufacturer website.

DISCLIMER #2: This chart compares a liquid cooled motor and an air cooled motor. There is really no comparison so this part is just for fun.

Let me know your thoughts...

Attachments

·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
man... that picture really puts things into perspective. I thought the Challenger front end looked like the front end off a small car. Its big. Gonna have to see it in person.

·
Bronze member
3,607 Posts
It will be interesting to see what stage I will do and undoubtedly stage II coming along.... I wonder what HD will answer with... I don't think they can compete on the HP level with the M8 for a factory standard point of view... and all the tech they've been bragging on with the HD was a option... now comes the Challenger and it's standard... I guess their slogan is right "Challenge what you think about an American made tourer"...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Went to My closest Indian dealer thinking I’d get to see one. No Joy, guess the guys were right, not for another week or two. Interesting thing when talking to the salesman. I got him to pull-up the Indian web sight and showed him the Technology video. He had No idea of that aspect of the bike. And emailed his bosses the owners the video as I stood there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Went to My closest Indian dealer thinking I’d get to see one. No Joy, guess the guys were right, not for another week or two. Interesting thing when talking to the salesman. I got him to pull-up the Indian web sight and showed him the Technology video. He had No idea of that aspect of the bike. And emailed his bosses the owners the video as I stood there.
Oh also he said they have 5 Challengers ordered.

·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve been biting my tongue not to give a personal opinion but my grief — how can you not notice 30 more hp in the Challenger? Over 25% increase over the Harley. Wow!! Game changer. Harley cannot argue it and they certainly cannot ignore it.

If I could just drop that engine in my RM...
Maybe you could just swap the fairing for your Roadmaster fairing...

·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone else see this as perfect timing from Indian? The performance bagger is the new thing replacing big wheel baggers. Burnouts and wheelies are preferred to a 26" front wheel with a fancy paint job. People want to look like they can go fast even if they dont. And in the Harley world 124ci and even 140+ci big bore kits are gaining in popularity. Its classic American one-upmanship. And then Indian drops a 122 HP (at the shaft) liquid cooled bike into this market. How cool is that? Is it just me or are they making a statement here?

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
While I love my 2015 Stage 2 Chieftain, I find myself at times yearning for an electric smooth and quiet cruiser / touring bike. The Wing is nice and the Beemer K1600B is also on the radar...but I need to test the Challenger. Before all the “soul” talk, I’ve got that in spades with the Chieftain, I just want an old geezer all day long mile eater.

·
Bronze member
3,607 Posts
Does anyone else see this as perfect timing from Indian? The performance bagger is the new thing replacing big wheel baggers. Burnouts and wheelies are preferred to a 26" front wheel with a fancy paint job. People want to look like they can go fast even if they dont. And in the Harley world 124ci and even 140+ci big bore kits are gaining in popularity. Its classic American one-upmanship. And then Indian drops a 122 HP (at the shaft) liquid cooled bike into this market. How cool is that? Is it just me or are they making a statement here?
they are making a big statement.. and I believe it will go unanswered for a year or two if not more...

·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am hoping to get to test out this new bike at demo days This weekend. No one knows if it’s on the truck but surely Indian is anxious to get some butt in seat reviews to compliment all their marketing laid out today.

·
Rider
1,190 Posts
I’ve been biting my tongue not to give a personal opinion but my grief — how can you not notice 30 more hp in the Challenger? Over 25% increase over the Harley. Wow!! Game changer. Harley cannot argue it and they certainly cannot ignore it.

If I could just drop that engine in my RM...
With the Engine swap are you going with a Supercharger or Turbo ?:D

·
Silver member
3,556 Posts
The wife is getting the hots for this bike. Darn it is a big chunk of change $.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.