Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, first ever chain drive owner here... Coming from the cruiser side and have always owned belt drive.

My FTR has about 300kms on it and I checked the chain tension today... It's loose at around 45-48mm of slack. Manual says max is 40mm so I don't think I should just leave it until my 800km break in.

I apologize for the novice question here but I seem to get alot of mixed information online. Also the manual doesn't specify.... Can I perform this adjustment while the bike is on its side stand? Or do I just check slack on side stand, and raise the rear for the actual adjustment? I don't have spools or a stand yet but I could possibly lift it with a jack I use on my HD dyna if needed.

Please go easy on me.... Thanks

·
Bronze member
2,198 Posts
Normal chain stretch during break in. A slightly loose chain is better than a tight chain

Also check chain tension at the tightest spot.

There are lots of good instructional videos on YouTube about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The chain is normally checked with the weight of the bike on the ground. If you lift it under the motor and the rear wheel drops you will get a different tension. It's OK to just adjust it when it's sitting there, no need to have the bike vertical or anything.

Because you are probably not pushing the bike too hard for the break-in period it will be OK for the time until first service.

·
Bronze member
2,638 Posts
You’re right, the manual doesn’t specify whether to keep the tire on the ground or to elevate it to adjust the chain. I’d call the dealership for confirmation. My Ducati chain is adjusted while the bike‘s rear tire is on the ground, but I don’t know if this is common across all brands.

·
Bronze member
2,198 Posts
There is no center stand on this bike. So it’s obviously supposed to be done with the bike on the rear stand or stood up with the bike weight on the swing arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took some slack out to be safe. Paranoid about making sure my axle is even on both sides but I'm confident I'm pretty close. Set the slack right at the loose end of 40mm.

Classic over thinker here.... Especially when it comes to the newest toy in the garage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry, first ever chain drive owner here... Coming from the cruiser side and have always owned belt drive.

My FTR has about 300kms on it and I checked the chain tension today... It's loose at around 45-48mm of slack. Manual says max is 40mm so I don't think I should just leave it until my 800km break in.

I apologize for the novice question here but I seem to get alot of mixed information online. Also the manual doesn't specify.... Can I perform this adjustment while the bike is on its side stand? Or do I just check slack on side stand, and raise the rear for the actual adjustment? I don't have spools or a stand yet but I could possibly lift it with a jack I use on my HD dyna if needed.

Please go easy on me.... Thanks
according to the service manual, it’s on the side stand. can confirm it will read different on a rear stand, as i wanted to see if there was any difference before i started playing with it. there was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is that procedure from the service manual? I'm definitely checking my chain slack by gently pressing down on the chain, then up. Measuring the distance between the two points.

I've never measured from the chain to the swing arm as stated in the procedure posted?

·
Registered
55 Posts
So is that procedure from the service manual? I'm definitely checking my chain slack by gently pressing down on the chain, then up. Measuring the distance between the two points.

I've never measured from the chain to the swing arm as stated in the procedure posted?
i’m also used to doing it the way you mentioned, however yeah, that’s the service manual. at 500 miles mine was about ~43mm, so i assumed that that was the correct procedure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts