Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Rider
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had touched on this within another thread but it got lost within it, so thought I would start a separate thread. There are obviously a myriad of products to oil your chain with and people will naturally have their own preferences and opinions on the need and requirement. In discussion with another member below is more or less a cut and paste of information I sent to him. There are several types of automatic oilers out there and I really like them for their innovation and functionality.

I have used an automatic chain cleaning and lubrication system a 'Scottoiler' for as long as I can remember on all my chain driven bikes. If you do a lot of touring or long journeys there is also a larger reservoir you can buy that fits behind your number plate but even the small reservoir depicted below lasts for over a 1000 miles when full. You will naturally get a little throw off on the rear wheel but it protects the bike if you ride in the Winter and is easy to wipe off. Less hassle than cleaning and oiling your chain at regular intervals I find.

There are two systems available:

A V-System which is for carburettor machines which derives a vacuum from the carb to open a valve within a reservoir to gravity feed oil onto your chain whilst riding. The flow rate can be adjusted by a rotary adjuster on top of the oil reservoir.

An E-System that is three times as expensive for fuel injected machines that involves hooking up electrically and fitting a controller to your bike somewhere.

As I already had a V-System lying redundant in the garage I nailed this on to the FTR deriving the vacuum from a medical syringe. It saved me 2/3 cost and a bit of toil potentially cutting into the canbus system and finding somewhere to fit the controller. It was easier for me to 'adapt' and simplify the job.

Nozzle dispenser located at sprocket. You get a couple of stainless adaptors to attach whichever suits best, an axle mounted one or a bolt mounted one which I used and bolted it behind the bobbin itself. You then bend the mounting adaptor once fitted by hand to get the optimum position for the nozzle itself to feed the chain. Despite only oiling one side both sides get oiled with the natural migration of the oil. You can also pay extra and get a double nozzle should you wish but that again is more complicated siting the bracket for the two nozzles.

Gravity feed pipe was routed and secured along the swing arm, where it transfers to the frame you need to leave enough slack for when the swing arm moves.

Finally the reservoir. As stated I used a Vacuum System which is a third of the cost, does not involve splicing into the canbus electrical cables and there is no electronic controller that needs to be mounted somewhere. My vacuum is derived from a medical syringe which has the added advantage that you can actually turn the system off completely should you wish to? I do turn mine off if the chain is getting too much or appears too wet.

Be interested to see what others use and recommendations with regards to chain regime.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use wurth dry chain lube.
When I took delivery of the bike I Rode home 70miles and all the factory lube flung all over my back and bike.
Cleaned it all off and have been using the wurth dry chain lube ever since... No mess, no fuss.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,242 Posts
My last chain driven bike was a 1998 Honda Nighthawk 750. I used to clean the chain with WD40 then alternate that with spray chain lube every 200 miles or so. The chain looked as good a new yet when I traded that bike in. The newer chain wax products are probably much better though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My last bike was a Harley with belt drive. The only good thing about it. In years gone by, my Kaw KZ 1000 and GPZ 1100 got regular squirts of Blue Moly. The FTR manual is silent about chain lube except at the service intervals (!?!). I asked a Polaris tech, and he recommended lubing every other ride. I use a Belray product (which i can't remember the name of; CRS!) which is supposed to be "clean". It looks gray on the chain, and causes very little build-up on the rear wheel or elsewhere. Every now and then, I detail the chain with an old tooth brush. This works for me!!!!!

·
Bronze member
3,166 Posts
Gotta love it,you hear a lot about Harley's leaking oil,still to this day from the old chain oilers.
Fast forward to now,Indian has automatic chain oilers.
Wonder if Indian will now wear that crown.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I lube my chains maybe every 2000 miles (maybe) and get 20m + miles out of them.

With both 130 HP+ (rear wheel) bikes I've owned.

Contemporary chains simply don't need much lube.

Noted: use good current lubes. Currently using Bel-Ray; probably the same can for 2-3 years.

Chain Wax works well also, can't remember the brand.

·
Bronze member
2,246 Posts
Chain oilers are a thing of the past. With modern chains They aren’t needed.

For some reason it’s still a thing over seas.

Rarely do I see one in the state’s anymore.

And chain wax is made by maxima. It’s what I found works the best with no sling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Basically anything that prevents rust and doesn’t fling off is good. Once a chain rusts, the rust eats away the O rings, and soon it’s toast.

I would think the more expensive plated chains (gold, black) are better in preventing rust.

And I just like the feel of a freshly lubed chain when I roll the bike out of the garage...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Maxima chain wax.

O-ring chains make many of the old ways/regimes/lubricants obsolete.
I clean and wax when I've ridden in dirt or once a month or so. More if higher mileage.
I wax after I'm caught in a rain.

No muss, no fuss no fling stays bling.
Normally do my chain with the chain wax after I come back from a ride when the chains warm. Next time you ride she’s sweet. I’ve used chain wax for years on all my dirt and road bikes. Your on the money with no mess Hatt. No fling. I do get a small amount of build up on the Thruxton but he has an open cage around the front sprocket. No biggie, comes of with kero. 👍😎🇦🇺

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Normally do my chain with the chain wax after I come back from a ride when the chains warm. Next time you ride she’s sweet. I’ve used chain wax for years on all my dirt and road bikes. Your on the money with no mess Hatt. No fling. I do get a small amount of build up on the Thruxton but he has an open cage around the front sprocket. No biggie, comes of with kero. 👍😎🇦🇺
Ah! Fellow Triumph bloke! I knew there was something about you I liked!

·
Rider
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
…...I knew there was something about you I liked!.....
Hatt, Bret no offence meant or implied and it is just a joke but there's a song there somewhere in your quote. Status Quo from 1981

I'll shut the door on my way out! 😂 (y)

Reactions: Breto and Hatt

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Hatt, Bret no offence meant or implied and it is just a joke but there's a song there somewhere in your quote. Status Quo from 1981

Lock it too... 😁😜

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a chain oiler on an 07 Vulcan 500. that was after I almost tipped the bike on my head during my first attempt at chain cleaning and lubing.
Scout has a belt, but I think I still have a second oiler in a box with the rest of my spare gear.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Motul, chain lube and cleaner. I ride in wet weather so I prefer the lube to wax.
Maxima chain wax is perfect for all riding conditions mate. Especially rain. Protects o rings. 👍😎🇦🇺
Yep, been a Triumph man for years mate. Love me twins and triples 👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
775 Posts

Probably because I wear tight jeans man 👍😎🇦🇺

1 - 20 of 53 Posts