Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched many places but can not find the answer, I know it's there and I may not be searching for the right thing.

I have a 2015 Scout and want to get rid of as much chrome as possible. I have a shop that does great ceramic coating for, what I consider, a fair price. Most of the items are fairly easy to take off, have coated, and put back on. However I do have some concern with the clutch cover and want to know what to expect before diving into the process.

How difficult is it to remove the Clutch Cover?

Is there anything I need to really be aware of?

It is even possible to even have it blasted and coated?

I am no master mechanic but can work my way around an engine. It does not seem like a difficult task (I've seen comments where people have purchased a new cover and had no problems swapping it out) but want to make sure this is something a backyard mechanic can do or if it's best left to the professionals.

I do appreciate your input on this and any advice is appreciated.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
If you're referring to the one on the right side if the engine, it's just the two bolts. No seals at all, as it's just a decorative cover. Should coat without issues....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the one on the right. Its not just that little round cover, but the whole thing. I think it has about 10-12 bolts and that smaller round cover sit in it. I dont think I need to remove the exhaust to get it off.

·
Registered
937 Posts
You might not even need to. I think if you take off the chrome cover there’s the painted metal underneath, like the 60.

·
Bronze member
1,919 Posts
I have searched many places but can not find the answer, I know it's there and I may not be searching for the right thing.

I have a 2015 Scout and want to get rid of as much chrome as possible. I have a shop that does great ceramic coating for, what I consider, a fair price. Most of the items are fairly easy to take off, have coated, and put back on. However I do have some concern with the clutch cover and want to know what to expect before diving into the process.

How difficult is it to remove the Clutch Cover?

Is there anything I need to really be aware of?

It is even possible to even have it blasted and coated?

I am no master mechanic but can work my way around an engine. It does not seem like a difficult task (I've seen comments where people have purchased a new cover and had no problems swapping it out) but want to make sure this is something a backyard mechanic can do or if it's best left to the professionals.

I do appreciate your input on this and any advice is appreciated.
Why would you want to "ceramic" coat that cover?
There is a huge price differential between ceramic and powder coating. Ceramic coating is generally used on exhaust systems, while powder coating is normally used on engine cases/covers.
Most powder coaters do both and the gloss and matte finishes would be indistinguishable from each other.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would you want to "ceramic" coat that cover?
There is a huge price differential between ceramic and powder coating. Ceramic coating is generally used on exhaust systems, while powder coating is normally used on engine cases/covers.
Most powder coaters do both and the gloss and matte finishes would be indistinguishable from each other.
Valid point. My guy was offering a great price on ceramic coating the exhaust and just figured it would all end up being the same. I still want to black out the bike as much as possible, Ill bring up powder coating, I did forget about that.

Thank you for reminding me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll follow this as I'm thinking of doing the same but just not sure how hard it is to remove
Im snap some pictures as I do it so you (and others) know what to expect. Plus Ill get some before and after pics for you.

I figured this had been done before but am not getting a lot of feedback at this point.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Just the bolts you mentioned will remove it. You will be left with
the lever assembly still in case.
With a "plunger" like thing rattling around in lever assembly. Don't lose that.
These are usually easy to remove from case.
Drain oil first!
that's really about all there is to it...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just the bolts you mentioned will remove it. You will be left with
the lever assembly still in case.
With a "plunger" like thing rattling around in lever assembly. Don't lose that.
These are usually easy to remove from case.
Drain oil first!
that's really about all there is to it...
Thank you. You confirmed my suspicions but wanted to be sure with someone who has experience in it.

With that plunger, can I hold it in place with some masking tape? would that cause any issues?

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Thank you. You confirmed my suspicions but wanted to be sure with someone who has experience in it.

With that plunger, can I hold it in place with some masking tape? would that cause any issues?
No problem.
It was more of warning not to lose it.

Your coater (and I'd agree) is likely going to want the whole assembly removed for better coating results.

I haven't seen how that particular assembly is installed to the cover so I've got no input on how to remove, other than "typical" plunger assemblies are easy enough to remove and reinstall..
Maybe someone can furnish an exploded diagram of it to see what it would take before hand..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts