Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here have experience with cerakote? i'm wondering if it can be used to coat heat shields and mufflers (i'll be wrapping my header pipes with DEI exhaust wrapping) and why it's mostly only used and advertised for guns. their website claims protection/resistance up to 500 degrees for their bottom line coating and up to 1800 degrees for their top line coating. i've seen people measure the temp of their pipes near the cylinders at around 300 degrees. so wouldn't that work? the reason i'm exploring this right now is i want a custom color for my mufflers i'm about to get and shops that do ceramic coating only have a small number of available options. cerakote has the closest color i want without going to powder coating which i'm sure will not last on a set of mufflers. any ideas?

·
Administrator
15,524 Posts
We had some folks who cerakoted various chrome components to reduce windshield glare. Worked fine for them but these weren’t mufflers. A lot of gun owners cerakote their barrels etc which can get pretty hot. Basically if you bring in a metal part from whatever (gun, motorcycle, boat) they can coat it. Your local cerakote dealer can tell you what kind of heat they can handle and if your mufflers would be a good candidate.

·
Rider
1,579 Posts
Maybe some one can chime in here but my understanding is:

Cereakoate is mainly used for surface protection, rust prevention and lubricity on guns. Ceramic coating is designed to contain / reduce heat and also helps with surface protection.

·
Rider
1,284 Posts
We had some folks who cerakoted various chrome components to reduce windshield glare. Worked fine for them but these weren’t mufflers. A lot of gun owners cerakote their barrels etc which can get pretty hot. Basically if you bring in a metal part from whatever (gun, motorcycle, boat) they can coat it. Your local cerakote dealer can tell you what kind of heat they can handle and if your mufflers would be a good candidate.
I have a revolver that's been cerakoted and have had no problems with heat.

BD

·
Bronze member
1,245 Posts
I have had good luck with it on my guns but a bike part? exhaust might get to hot but would like to know if you choose to do it. Not sure what the ramifications would be other than if they get scratched they may start to peel. would be interesting though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts