Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a CB on their bike? It so where did you mount the unit and where and how did you mount the push to talk button? I'm hoping the 16's might have one but not holding my breath. So I'm trying to figure out just how much trouble it's going to be. That one little item is keeping me on my Ultra and I can't afford both. It's one or the other. CB's on bikes are very short range but good enough for group rides. My group, wife and me, must be able to communicate. Surely Indian won't let that tricycle of hers(Spyder) have more function than a ROADMASTER.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The world's gone to Bluetooth comms, I'm afraid. I don't see many newly designed bikes including CB. :/

·
Registered
121 Posts
www.hitechwireless.com

They have a Sena Bluetooth package that includes a handheld Midland CB. For those times when I feel I need the CB, it is mounted on handlebar with a universal RAM mount. I taped the Bluetooth adapter to the CB. It pairs to Sena headset directly. To listen, do nothing, to talk, hold button on Bluetooth adapter (mounted on CB or comes with mount that will strap to bars near hand controls).
Not as easy as just plugging in mike as I was used to on HD Ultra-Classic. When I ride with my Indian group, we have Bluetooth bike to bike communications with the Sena headsets. I sometimes will hook up CB when riding with the Harley group.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the midland hand held and I'm in the process of getting it going on my rm. Some of my left overs from the wing will be utilized. I already have sena headsets , the midland and some cords. I need the sena dongle to finish . I had some extra lids for my butler cup holder which I mounted on the rt handlebar . I cut out a sq in a lid that fits the cb so it sits nicely in the cup. I also had leftover push to talk button that clips to the handle bar. I'm going to use the rechargeable battery pack for now. As soon as I get the dongle I'll be in business. Alot of my riding buddies use cb. Really wish the rm came with a cb.

·
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never thought about using a hand held. Report back when you get everything together. And which dongle are you looking at? I've been thinking of going the donkle route on my Ultra just to get away from wires from my phone when using a GPS app. Wonder if it might end up being the same donkle. Might just switch to Bluetooth sooner then.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Has anyone installed a CB on their bike? It so where did you mount the unit and where and how did you mount the push to talk button? I'm hoping the 16's might have one but not holding my breath. So I'm trying to figure out just how much trouble it's going to be. That one little item is keeping me on my Ultra and I can't afford both. It's one or the other. CB's on bikes are very short range but good enough for group rides. My group, wife and me, must be able to communicate. Surely Indian won't let that tricycle of hers(Spyder) have more function than a ROADMASTER.
What's a CB? Sorry, being a smart ass but I couldn't resist. They are pretty much "old school" now. Nothing at ALL wrong with that. Everyone I now is all about the Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
What's a CB? Sorry, being a smart ass but I couldn't resist. They are pretty much "old school" now. Nothing at ALL wrong with that. Everyone I now is all about the Bluetooth.

I guess everyone I know is old school. Actually although I have sena headsets knowone I know has any bluetooth but they all have cb

·
Registered
154 Posts
I guess everyone I know is old school. Actually although I have sena headsets knowone I know has any bluetooth but they all have cb
Yeah me too. Gold wings and HD Ultras all at least come with the CB option. Buddy of mine traded his Glide in afte one year for the Ultra w CB after he got us all screwed up in Amarillo cuz we couldn't talk to him. I expect the CB option may be offered next year. A lot of long distance tourers out there that do not run BT, but do run wired CB. Also gives you the option to talk to truckers when you need traffic/weather info.

·
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If Bluetooth is so "now" why did they not allow pairing of buddies CB's? It's another my way or no way type device. I'm all for advancements but not at cutting off the past. As long as CB's are what truckers use I'll be using them too. I see Bluetooth as the rich kids toys and I'm from the wrong side of the tracks.:D

·
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm a trucker and haven't used a CB in ten years, bluetooth and smartphone apps give me traffic, weather, & ability to talk to my buddies with hands free headsets... All you get from truckers on channel 19 is BS

·
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So does your phone app tell you how to get around a parking lot you may be coming up on? I have to admit I'm getting tired of all the Mexican stuff I can't understand.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I, of course, was joking around. There is a lot of good reasons to have a CB. On my last bike, I used a portable intercom so my wife and I could chat on the long rides and hear each other without screaming over the beautiful sound of my Caliber exhaust. (I actually like talking with my wife, especially on the motorcycle because she isn't constantly on Facebook!)
On some rides, for various reasons, she was not able to ride so she drove the "support vehicle". My intercom interfaced with a 2-way radio. Could have used CB's but I had a pair of Motorola Talkabouts. I rigged an aviation portable push to talk switch, which attached to the handlebar via velcro and I kept in direct communication with the support vehicle. Very handy.
My Sena has similar capabilities and I could very well utilize that in the future.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts