Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

CAUTION!!! Don't fry your ECM

14080 Views 55 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  Victory1chop
** ** ** ** ** ORIGINAL THREAD STARTED IN 2014 !! ** Recently updated

If you have to access your battery DO NOT remove the four bolts that hold the ECM to the plastic plate on top of the battery.

There is one bolt at the rear of the plate. Remove that and slide the plate forward with the ECM still attached. Then you can swing the assembly up and out of the way.

If you remove the ECM first and then remove the plastic plate there is a strong possibility that the ECM will slip and fall onto the pos. battery terminal.

Zap! Just like that, there goes $600. Trust me. I know.
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Registered
346 Posts
The dealership gave me that information. I heard it is on the neck of the frame somewhere by the forks. Mine is just before the cutoff on the recall. I have to take it in the spring. The dealership said they have only put the bracket on, no fuel rails yet.

· Registered
58 Posts
I coated my VCM with blue tape before I even started pulling off the rear bolt, I had so many pillow cases and towels draped all over the place and used a benjie cord to hold the computer out of the way, very bad design and sorry you had to go through this. ive had trouble with factory batteries in the past (twice) once out of town and dealer would only give me store credit (in another state) so I get my batteries from Batteries plus and have never had a problem, more batteries plus than dealerships if you do have a problem, free two year replacement if you have an issue and way more affordable than the 160 the dealership wanted

· Registered
106 Posts
If you have to access your battery DO NOT remove the four bolts that hold the ECM to the plastic plate on top of the battery.

There is one bolt at the rear of the plate. Remove that and slide the plate forward with the ECM still attached. Then you can swing the assembly up and out of the way.

If you remove the ECM first and then remove the plastic plate there is a strong possibility that the ECM will slip and fall onto the pos. battery terminal.

Zap! Just like that, there goes $600. Trust me. I know.
Did that. I have a $ 600.00 paperweight.

· Registered
17 Posts
??? for you all in this thread.....My VCM went bad, I purchased a used one (model the dealer would have installed). Dealer advised the VCM was ready to be flashed/programed, but they needed by bikes "code" to program the VCM.

The problem I have is I purchased the bike used, don't have any paperwork or "code" for the bike?

The dealer said if they had the key fob from the bike I got the VCM from they could also flash it using that, but I don't have the fob from where I purchased the VCM from either?

The dealer admitted that even if I purchased a new VCM from them, they wouldn't be able to flash/program the VCM without my bikes, "code".

Have any of you dealt with this or know anyone else who has? Any suggestions would be appreciated! I could only advise my dealer that at this point, someone from the manufacture should have an answer other than my two against the odds alternatives!

· Bronze member
3,624 Posts
Got two questions,can't you just unplug it,remove it then change the battery.and second we send out fried circuit boards on our old Allen Bradley controlled machines to be repaired.can we send out the vcm to have the damaged parts repaired?any one try this?

· Registered
120 Posts
Being a novice mechanic I have no doubt this forum saved me from myself when I recently replaced the battery on my Chieftien. It is not only the battery touching the module but tools making a connection also. Now if only I would have read the thread on replacing the battery on the key fob when the battery idiot light came on in lieu of the battery I would be winning.

Cars and bikes are much more complicated due to the abundance of electronics. The learning curve is steeper and more expensive. Owning this bike has made me a believer in manuals and forums such as this one.

· Registered
456 Posts
Maybe put something like these on at least the positive side battery post? Oops never mind someone already pointed these out.

Tim

Reactions: Refined44

· Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,270 Posts
Maybe put something like these on at least the positive side battery post? Oops never mind someone already pointed these out.

View attachment 573532 View attachment 573533

Tim
The problem with using rubber boots on the battery is when you have to remove the battery.

I also wouldn't wrap the ECM with anything that would hold the heat in the unit.

Personally I have a leather bag I put the ECM in as soon as I loosen it. That way it's protected and I'm not worrying about overheating.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.