Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

CAUTION!!! Don't fry your ECM

14080 Views 55 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  Victory1chop
** ** ** ** ** ORIGINAL THREAD STARTED IN 2014 !! ** Recently updated

If you have to access your battery DO NOT remove the four bolts that hold the ECM to the plastic plate on top of the battery.

There is one bolt at the rear of the plate. Remove that and slide the plate forward with the ECM still attached. Then you can swing the assembly up and out of the way.

If you remove the ECM first and then remove the plastic plate there is a strong possibility that the ECM will slip and fall onto the pos. battery terminal.

Zap! Just like that, there goes $600. Trust me. I know.
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Great thread.....I haven't had to remove the battery yet but would no doubt fried mine also. I just looked it up in the manual P.118. It does not mention the rear bolt but does have a warning that the electronic control modual with fry instantly.

First time I took the seat off I though wtf somebody dumped a plate of spaghetti in there.

Found this wrench on line, might come in handy. Be sure to order right or left hand version.

Attachments

· Registered
308 Posts
People In the past have made that expensive mistake mentioned in old threads, if I have the access the VCM or battery I always wrap the VCM in a towel then a plastic bag just in case it falls onto the battery

· Registered
202 Posts
One of my biggest "faults" is that I don't know a great deal mechanically speaking. I try simple things but most of the time, I end up spending the money and let the trained professionals assume the risk. I got froggy a couple of months ago and took my tank off myself. It only took me a day and a half to realize it wouldn't start because I hooked the fuel pump incorrectly. Not an expensive lesson that time but one that reenforces me to stay in my lane. I had bought a lift when I first got the bike thinking I'd try at last to do my own oil changes, I have since punked out. I'll just keep being book smart, and paying up.:rolleyes:

Silver lining for you may be a 2015 VCM, if LEDs were ever a consideration.
Oh man...the oil change is a total no brainer. I made this video for my Youtube Channel. Easy as pie!

Reactions: Shuje Sunge

· Registered
202 Posts
After you change the oil, you can reset your oil life using this procedure.

· Diamond member
9,090 Posts
Great post! Thanks for sharing, tho I ride a Scout, seeing how easy such a catastrophe can happen,, is in fact shocking! (pun not intended)
I urge any of y'all with a bit of ability, to create a fix for this and make some money, and give some smiles to others, if there a way to make thing easier, along with safe..
I can't believe there is no boot on the + terminal!. I hadn't seen a bootless bike or car since,,,, crap I don't even know when!?
While it is upon us to be mindful of the surroundings, such big risk for a battery?! Idk, I kinda put more fault on the MFG for that possibly even existing with in a routine maintenance perimeter..
Good post!

· Registered
202 Posts
I think Indian considers the plastic battery cover under the VCM a shield of sorts. If you look at how its designed, it is meant to prevent anything from touching the terminal. I have heard this before though....People often blow the module by accident. Arg.... just go really slow and careful with the module and the wrenches.

· Original member / Distinguished
5,867 Posts
And don't do any work while drinking. ;)

· Registered
346 Posts
Yeah! My 2016 Roadmaster has the proper red cover over the positive terminal too.
I bet mine does too. I will have to look when Spring comes. She is denned up for the winter, all covered and maintained with the battery tender.
Yeah! My 2016 Roadmaster has the proper red cover over the positive terminal too.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.