Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
** ** ** ** ** ORIGINAL THREAD STARTED IN 2014 !! ** Recently updated

If you have to access your battery DO NOT remove the four bolts that hold the ECM to the plastic plate on top of the battery.

There is one bolt at the rear of the plate. Remove that and slide the plate forward with the ECM still attached. Then you can swing the assembly up and out of the way.

If you remove the ECM first and then remove the plastic plate there is a strong possibility that the ECM will slip and fall onto the pos. battery terminal.

Zap! Just like that, there goes $600. Trust me. I know.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,896 Posts
Ouch! They do say education is expensive.:D

·
Registered
796 Posts
Did they not teach you about disconnecting the ECM and Battery terminals when you picked up your bike ? My dealer did.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a retired auto mechanic but the information is good to know.
Yea, I know.

I build cars for a living. Restoration, Hotrod and customs.

Looking at the ECM it seems intuitive to remove the four bolts first. The one on the rear of the plate is kinda hidden.

Seems as though Poliris would put a warning sticker on it or a plaistc shield over the pos. terminal. Not trying to lay the blame on them for my fumble fingered mistake, but I called the dealer to order a new ECM and the parts guy told me they had a bike in service for the exact same thing.

Yes, a service manual would be nice. But I wouldnt even open it to disconnect the battery. And no, my dealer didn't mention anything about it when I bought it. In fact he thought the oil cap tool was a bottle opener.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's just asking the right questions at time of delivery. I think knowing how to remove your battery is one thing we all should know how to do safely One screw at rear of the ECM, lift rear and slide back the ECM ,Removing the Negative terminal first is always Number one then the positive terminal next.You can use Zip Tye's straps to hold the cables out of the way ,lift the battery out with caution. Install in reverse method , positive cable first then negitive,then ECM with great care one screw rear of ECM and your done.I usually wrap the ECM in a towel once pulled to and extra protection for the computer. I hope this helps some that are still unsure of the proper procedure. This a safe way I have removed batteries for yrs in motor cycles auto or trucks as I 'm a heavy duty mech and body man always repair vehicles safely

·
Registered
232 Posts
One of my biggest "faults" is that I don't know a great deal mechanically speaking. I try simple things but most of the time, I end up spending the money and let the trained professionals assume the risk. I got froggy a couple of months ago and took my tank off myself. It only took me a day and a half to realize it wouldn't start because I hooked the fuel pump incorrectly. Not an expensive lesson that time but one that reenforces me to stay in my lane. I had bought a lift when I first got the bike thinking I'd try at last to do my own oil changes, I have since punked out. I'll just keep being book smart, and paying up.:rolleyes:

Silver lining for you may be a 2015 VCM, if LEDs were ever a consideration.

·
Founding member
958 Posts
Had a close call with mine while installing battery tender. Was relieved to find out it was O.K. Why put something so sensitive right on top of battery?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had a close call with mine while installing battery tender. Was relieved to find out it was O.K. Why put something so sensitive right on top of battery?
My question exactly.

NO ONE (well maybe a few) would consult a shop manual, research youtube videos or interrogate their dealer at the time of delivery to do a simple thing like disconnect the battery.

Seems like there would be a "dumb shit" protector on the pos. post of the battery. I mean when your battery goes dead and needs to be replaced you're most likely going to be at a beer joint or hotel.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My question exactly.

NO ONE (well maybe a few) would consult a shop manual, research youtube videos or interrogate their dealer at the time of delivery to do a simple thing like disconnect the battery.

Seems like there would be a "dumb shit" protector on the pos. post of the battery. I mean when your battery goes dead and needs to be replaced you're most likely going to be at a beer joint or hotel.
Well were is the RED rubber boot over the positive terminal to me this a design fault to fix this issue on the next service the positive & negative should be covered with boots what a BAD design

·
Registered
81 Posts
alot of bikes have the battery right under the ecm. my vtx1800 was that way too. and the wires running from that were very brittle so you had to be carefull when moving the unit

·
Registered
160 Posts
My question exactly.

BadJack,
Sorry you had to pay the price on that but thanks for sharing the information. I would have just done what's intuitive , which is tear into it. Then I would be buying a $600 VCM.

My dealer took the time to get me to sign all of their paperwork, show me how to start, darn fob, and away I went. I do intend to get a shop manual as bikes have become more electronic and difficult for the average rider to maintain.

I've had a lot of bikes and ridden most my life , but I never claimed to be a wrench. Something to do with spatial reasoning or failure/aversion to read instructions, who knows!!

So thanks for sharing. I love MC forums for the info like this that people share.

Jefe

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I may have put this in before but Ocala fl dealer told me the day I picked up bike they had gotten Polaris to warrantee 2 or 3 of these then were told no more..... I guess that is when they starting really telling people there. Clearly indian now knows it is a sensitive area.....I guess they need to know that we all tinker a little.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you have to access your battery DO NOT remove the four bolts that hold the ECM to the plastic plate on top of the battery.

There is one bolt at the rear of the plate. Remove that and slide the plate forward with the ECM still attached. Then you can swing the assembly up and out of the way.

If you remove the ECM first and then remove the plastic plate there is a strong possibility that the ECM will slip and fall onto the pos. battery terminal.

Zap! Just like that, there goes $600. Trust me. I know.
I know too, did the same thing ! Ouch !!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts