Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,217 Posts
I would say that any warranty related to the exhaust would be out. As to everything else on the bike I would think you would be fine. If you went in and flashed the ECU for updating your AFR there would be a bigger issue there. The simpliest thing would be the Freedom true dual system. There are companies that will remove the cat from the stock pipes or others have done that themselves. Both Fuelmoto and Liberty have devolped headers that do away with the cat also. Dean

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Your exhaust system warranty will be voided. That is all.
I just drilled out another cat this afternoon. Took me about 2 hours to complete.
7. Any repair costs or expenses if the Vehicle has had mechanical alterations made by You not using genuine manufacturer parts or accessories installed by a Dealer or Authorized Servicer (as defined); regardless of whether or not such alterations caused a failure.

Pretty black and white to me.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Oh and then there is this little fact sheet sent out by the EPA.......

Question 1. Under what conditions or circumstances can a catalytic converter be removed from a vehicle and a converter replacement pipe be installed? If you need any further 382-2640.
Answer 1. Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced with "converter replacement pipes' by any person. The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate section 203(a)(3)(A) and (B) of the Clean Air Act (Act). In addition to federal law, forty-five out of the fifty States also have statutes or regulations which prohibit tampering with the pollution control equipment on motor vehicles or driving or selling such vehicles. Thus, vehicle owners who tamper with their own vehicles may be subject to substantial penalties under both federal and State law.

·
Bronze member
Kawasaki Vulcan 2000, 2007.
1,462 Posts
Your exhaust system warranty will be voided. That is all.
I just drilled out another cat this afternoon. Took me about 2 hours to complete.

In Australia your entire drive-train warranty is voided with a cat removal AND the makers have the backing of our Dept of Environment (same as your EPA).
DoE will even instigate the legal action if they find the cat off a car or bike; big fines... BIIIG fines! (especially for cat removal, loud pipes isn't as bad (and, for comparison, loud pipe fines can go from $1000 to $2500))

You guys are lucky in that you can do these things and only get minor penalties (like the exhaust system voided from warranty)

==========

From what I've read, there are three main ways to decat:

1 - drill out through pipe end - long drill, messy, takes time to get it all out completely.
2 - cut a panel in the side, fold it back, chisel out the cat, fold panel back, weld, paint
3 - buy a section of pipe that's either designed without the cat or some guy's already done 1 or 2 on it.

1 = cheap, non-invasive to the pipe/box, not easily seen when inspected
2 = slightly less cheap, invasive to the box, needs welding skills, needs high temp paint, might be obvious if inspected.
3 = dearer, you're paying for his time + whatever #1 or #2 says but the time is his and the paint is his problem, not yours.

I,d probably try #1 myself, bugger it up completely then turn to #3 :) :):p

·
Bronze member
2,307 Posts
Not mine. He even noticed the American Custom mufflers (cat still in place) difference. He would notice the cat gone in a heartbeat. With my dealer, an upfront conversation would be much better, but other dealers I'm sure are different. Depends on your relationship.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
In Australia your entire drive-train warranty is voided with a cat removal AND the makers have the backing of our Dept of Environment (same as your EPA).
DoE will even instigate the legal action if they find the cat off a car or bike; big fines... BIIIG fines! (especially for cat removal, loud pipes isn't as bad (and, for comparison, loud pipe fines can go from $1000 to $2500))

You guys are lucky in that you can do these things and only get minor penalties (like the exhaust system voided from warranty)

==========

From what I've read, there are three main ways to decat:

1 - drill out through pipe end - long drill, messy, takes time to get it all out completely.
2 - cut a panel in the side, fold it back, chisel out the cat, fold panel back, weld, paint
3 - buy a section of pipe that's either designed without the cat or some guy's already done 1 or 2 on it.

1 = cheap, non-invasive to the pipe/box, not easily seen when inspected
2 = slightly less cheap, invasive to the box, needs welding skills, needs high temp paint, might be obvious if inspected.
3 = dearer, you're paying for his time + whatever #1 or #2 says but the time is his and the paint is his problem, not yours.

I,d probably try #1 myself, bugger it up completely then turn to #3 :) :):p
Removing the Cat will void ENTIRE warranty not just the pipes here in the US. There are also extreme financial penalties. Not sure how often they are prosecuted if at all. They'd probably go after the shops vs individuals as the fines are per occurrence. ($25,000).

·
Rider
1,253 Posts
Apropos this subject, I called Indian Motors yesterday and connected with the proper Department and was told unequivocally that simply putting slip-ons on my exhaust would void the warranty on the entire bike. Not just the exhaust system. My take from that is I will wait eight more months until my warranty expires before I change the exhaust. A word to the wise.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts