Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed their catalytic converter while the exhaust is still on the bike ? It looks like it would be pretty easy once the shields are removed. Of course everything would have to be covered to protect from sparks.

·
Bronze member
1,237 Posts
Some have managed to get the material out from the back, but it's a B*STARD and you'll never do a thorough job of getting it all out that way.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Long drill bit and long air chisel and mine was completely gone in a couple of hours. Not much fun but I don’t have a welder so this was the best option for me.

Reactions: 1ofeach

·
Registered
521 Posts
So help me out guys. I keep hearing about people trying to remove the catalytic converter. What is the purpose of doing this?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So help me out guys. I keep hearing about people trying to remove the catalytic converter. What is the purpose of doing this?
for me the only reason is to cut down some of the heat , I dont want to spend over $600 on a set of headers

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did mine while it was on the bike. I just cut a window probably 4x6 on the side, and used put a flat blade screw driver on the top of the material and pounded it in with a hammer and pried it down and out... had it done and welded back up in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The point is to let the motor breathe, the restriction creates a lot of heat and starves the motor....of course you should run a flash to help with the rich fuel mixtures post cat removal....I took mine out and love that my right leg doesnt start on fire when I stop now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts