Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could probably call my dealer and ask but hey y not ask you guys? So I have a 2020 never had anything with warranty so I'm not real sure what effects it. If I remove the CAT with the TAB crossover how will that effect the warranty?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, any modification that you make to your bike does not, in and of itself, void the warranty. However, if you suffer damage that can be directly tied to said modification, then the company can deny the claim.

For example: I have a gutted head pipe. I submitted a warranty claim for my front fender rusting. Front fender was covered, no questions asked. There was no way that the gutted cat could cause the fender to rust.

It also depends on your dealer. If they are "mod friendly", then when you file the claim they will not mention the mods. Also, the dealer would have to know that the mod was there in the first place. So, if you take your bike in to have something fixed that is not exhaust related, why would they even have a reason to look in the tailpipe?

·
Bronze member
3,933 Posts
Per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, any modification that you make to your bike does not, in and of itself, void the warranty. However, if you suffer damage that can be directly tied to said modification, then the company can deny the claim.

For example: I have a gutted head pipe. I submitted a warranty claim for my front fender rusting. Front fender was covered, no questions asked. There was no way that the gutted cat could cause the fender to rust.

It also depends on your dealer. If they are "mod friendly", then when you file the claim they will not mention the mods. Also, the dealer would have to know that the mod was there in the first place. So, if you take your bike in to have something fixed that is not exhaust related, why would they even have a reason to look in the tailpipe?

Ahh the useless Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Deleting the CAT violates Federal Emissions law. In doing so Polaris can deny warranty. Read the fine print. What this means, is if you had some sort of major engine problem and Polaris got involved and then discovered this, they could within their rights deny warranty. Now that being said, most dealers are not going to care one way or the other, and many dealers participate in deleting the CAT.

As for the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, it basically says the manufacture has to prove that the modifications caused the issue. Big companies have bad ass attorneys on retainer to prove and defend any claim against them. Yes someone could hire an attorney and take them to court and possibly win, but then at the end of the day, they spend way more in attorney fees and court costs then the actual price of the vehicle in question.

Here is another interesting Tidbit. In 1998 the Digital Millennium Copyright Act was passed basically designed to give teeth in prosecuting hackers and other computer electronic crimes. Apple tried to use this law to shutdown the "Jailbreak" community by filing suit in Federal Court. Jailbreaking was hacking into the iPhone software and unlocking many features and options that weren't available to the consumer (PV3/PV-CX anyone). The jailbreakers argued that since thy "owned" the units, they could do what ever they wanted to with them and could provide the modified software and let other owners do what they wanted. The Federal Court sided with the Jailbreakers, basically saying that since they owned the phones, they could hack and do what ever they wanted to, but and a big butt, that the manufacturer (Apple) did not have to provide software updates and or warranty support.

What does this mean?????? LOL When you put a custom tune on your bike, you did so because the Dynojet PVCX/PV3 is basically Dynojets hacking software you give up the rights of the warranty at least on the ECU.

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
In the end, it all depends on the dealer. Some will make the mods for you and honor warranty, others will not. I picked up my Springfield brand new with a dealer installed cat-less headpipe, S1 airbox and Rineharts and had no warranty claim issues with them. Two of those three things would theoretically void a warranty. There is a point to where the dealer and manufacturer have to prove that your modifications are what caused the defect in the first place. In my experience, a good dealer will go to bat for you with a warranty claim and get it taken care of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts