Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those riders like myself (300+ pounder) that need a motorcycle with a larger than normal carry weight, we really have only one choice of Indians for two up riding with luggage.

The Chieftain's carry weight is 537 pounds with 4.49' of rear shock travel. (30 pounds more than the Vision)

The Vintage has a carry weight of 425 pounds with 3.7' of rear shock travel. (112 pounds less then the Chieftain)

The Classic has a carry weight of 448 pounds with 3.7' of rear shock travel. (89 pounds less than the Chieftain)

I'm confused about how many gears these bike have.
It lists 6 gears and then 'Final Drive'.
7 speeds?

And the gear ratios are way different than the Victory's.
6th gear in a Victory is a true overdrive. 0.92:1

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You just better not carry much with you on the luggage rack. The rack they have as an accessory only carries 7 pounds.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Vision trunk rack is rated at 5 pounds.
The entire Vision trunk is rated at 20 pounds.

This Indian stuff is all just fun for me as I'm already riding my last bike.

I've got a buddy who is salivating over them and he has money to burn (like DSJR70).

I'll most likely go with him when he finds a dealership that has one.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering about the 'Final Drive' question too when reading that on the Indian site earlier today. Do they have 7 gears?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
11482 said:
I was wondering about the 'Final Drive' question too when reading that on the Indian site earlier today. Do they have 7 gears?
They post the gear ratios on Indian's homepage for 6 gears and a 'Final Gear'.
6+1=7

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, they don't have 7 gears. The final drive is the reduction between the engine and the rear pulley. They also don't list what the internal primary reduction is so it's tough to calculate the comparable ratios to the Victory gearbox. You need all 3 numbers to get the the effective ratio.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4360 said:
They post the gear ratios on Indian's homepage for 6 gears and a 'Final Gear'.
6+1=7

Ok Biggie... their site actually says 'Final Drive'... that's what was a bit confusing...

<h3 class='section-header'>Gear Ratio (Overall)</h3>
<table class='table table-condensed'>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td>1st</td>
<td>9.403 : 1</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>2nd</td>
<td>6.411 : 1</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>3rd</td>
<td>4.763 : 1</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>4th</td>
<td>3.796 : 1</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>5th</td>
<td>3.243 : 1</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>6th</td>
<td>2.789 : 1</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Final Drive</td>
<td>2.2 : 1</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2610 said:
No, they don't have 7 gears. The final drive is the reduction between the engine and the rear pulley. They also don't list what the internal primary reduction is so it's tough to calculate the comparable ratios to the Victory gearbox. You need all 3 numbers to get the the effective ratio.
Excellent. I thought it was confusing the way it was displayed/represented on their website. Just needed a good engineering mind to set us IT types straight. LOL.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2610 said:
Thank you for the clarificaton of their website.
I read that 10 times and couldn't understand what they were getting at unless it was a 7 speed tranny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts