Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening folks,

Just upgraded to a 2020 Challenger from a 2017 Scout. Absolutely loved the Scout, but it was a bit small for long trips or a passenger.

Anyway, I was setting up my bluetooth from my iPhone to the RC. I got a message on the lock screen scalling the head unit the ”Polaris Ride Command 7” with CarPlay”

Based on that, seems like it is set up for the possibility of CarPlay.

Any thoughts!?

·
Bronze member
1,467 Posts
You must have one of the "newer" production line Challengers with newly installed software....as the early production run bikes do NOT have this feature....that I know of. Let us know what you think once you download and use!! Thnx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You must have one of the "newer" production line Challengers with newly installed software....as the early production run bikes do NOT have this feature....that I know of. Let us know what you think once you download and use!! Thnx
I haven’t been able to get CarPlay to work yet. Wonder if they will roll out an update. Seems like it is at least set up for it.

·
Bronze member
3,953 Posts
Those were supposed to roll out in March but were delayed and there has been no info since. The new ride command was supposed to get the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in March but then all hell broke loose and it seemed to be pushed back. Even IMRG hinted at a big technology update coming in the spring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Those were supposed to roll out in March but were delayed and there has been no info since. The new ride command was supposed to get the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in March but then all hell broke loose and it seemed to be pushed back. Even IMRG hinted at a big technology update coming in the spring.
Thanks for that info, I'm really interested in this if available in the future. Frankly after using the ride command and interface on a new 2020, it sucks vs Google maps or Waze. Carplay or AA would be a fantastic upgrade if it works anything like most autos. One would think the factory being shut down and the ability to do tech work from anywhere, Indian/polaris tech people would have all the time in the world to get the technology stuff done so they are ready to rock when things break loose.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Grain of salt here: earlier in the year my dealer told me that the 2019s and newer can be upgraded via a 'chip' dealer installed to support AA/Car Play when it was to be released.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It’s amazing how much auto manufactures stumble over implementing something that everyone wants. Instead, they would rather sell people a stupidly overpriced GPS software.
Reality is not so simple. Early displays in cars did not have the computing power, display resolution, or memory, to support many features and they were all custom code to the point even models within the same manufacturer had different code bases as feature requirements were different let alone price points they had to hit. Many screens did not even support touch control instead relying on buttons or joystick. Then the issue comes up where functions other than what Carplay can support need to use the same screen so unless segmentation of the screen can be done they may be loathe to support it. Plus automakers not only have to code for it, allowing car play and android auto to work, they have to insure it does not compromise their needs. No one wants their displays to crash either by a third party or by their support of one.

Finally, some systems are just so good that Car Play and Android Auto offer little to improve on it.

How much of your Ride Command screen are you willing to give up if not all? I would assume the toggle switch would just add Car Play as one more screen set you can swap through

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reality is not so simple. Early displays in cars did not have the computing power, display resolution, or memory, to support many features and they were all custom code to the point even models within the same manufacturer had different code bases as feature requirements were different let alone price points they had to hit. Many screens did not even support touch control instead relying on buttons or joystick. Then the issue comes up where functions other than what Carplay can support need to use the same screen so unless segmentation of the screen can be done they may be loathe to support it. Plus automakers not only have to code for it, allowing car play and android auto to work, they have to insure it does not compromise their needs. No one wants their displays to crash either by a third party or by their support of one.

Finally, some systems are just so good that Car Play and Android Auto offer little to improve on it.

How much of your Ride Command screen are you willing to give up if not all? I would assume the toggle switch would just add Car Play as one more screen set you can swap through
I think it is a total cop out to say manufacturers would have trouble doing it. The programming isn’t even theirs, Apple does the bulk of the work for them. It is what most consumers demand nowadays and I guarantee that some people chose to buy/not buy a car based on AA or CarPlay availability.

I would be totally willing to give up the whole screen. I got the base model of the Challenger, so Ride Command is pretty much useless. Would be awesome to have Waze or Apple/Google Maps for navigation. Would love to be able to pick music on Spotify.

I have CarPlay on my Ram 1500. I never even bother using the OEM software. It’s far inferior.

·
Bronze member
3,953 Posts
The biggest reason is apple and google charge licensing fees to use their software and support it. That is why in the beginning Auto/Powersports OEMS released their own crappy systems so they could make more money and have more control over it. But most now to massive customer outcry is going to Android Auto and Carplay

·
Bronze member
1,951 Posts
I remember sitting in a room with about 8 Toyota engineers who were asking for suggestions on where to improve the product. I implored then to do away with the expensive infotainment systems and build great sounding systems with a dumb screen that would mirror the customer’s smartphones. I told them they would never be able to stay current with the products offered by the tech companies. That was ten years ago and little did I know how right I was.
Auto manufacturers move like sloths compared to the speed of updates coming from the likes of Apple and Google.
And remember that all that in-house engineering likely dwarfs the license fees charged by Apple. The truth is they just don’t like paying them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What manufacturer OEM systems are you referring to? In the last few years I’ve been through a number of different manufacturers setups (we were cycling through cars at home till we finally found what works best for our family haha. And i get a lot of rentals for work.); Ford, Chevy, Buick, Nissan (nissan was likely the WORSE), Hyundai, Ram, Jeep, Honda... all of these were always highly inferior to using Apple CarPlay.

Now I guess you could be referring to the luxury car manufacturer like Infinity or Cadillac, but I got 4 crumb snatchers running around so that ain’t gonna happen any time soon or EVER hahaha.

-Mike

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,382 Posts
Apple CarPlay gives you so many more options with maps,audio books, music apps of your choice not to mention satellite radio. I use it on every thing I drive and my bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts