Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cardo is making a big deal about their new JBL HD speakers in their marketing. I bought a new helmet and purchased the new Card PackTalk Black to check out the features and wanted better sound when riding the FTR. The speakers sounded about 100 times better than the weak tinny speakers that came with our Sena 20S units. Well about a month later I got an e-mail from Sean announcing their new HD speakers. $45 is less expensive than two new Cardo units so I ordered the Sena HD speakers to upgrade the 20S. I installed them today and I can report the sound is a huge improvement over the original speakers and perhaps the equal to the Cardo.

I like the new features of the Cardo and I'll get some more seat time next spring to compare the two units. I'll admit I wouldn't look forward to teaching my wife how to operate the Cardo since she still gets frustrated operating the Sena. But I have a granddaughter who will be riding with me next season so one more purchase is imminent.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I wonder if Senas new HD speakers will replace/swap out of thier integrated helmet speakers? I have to go look, the wife thoroughly enjoys her Sena SAVAGE and Momentum helmet(s) and it would be nice to swap out for better speakers.

Do you mind sending me the link or what-not where you got the info from?

·
Bronze member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if Senas new HD speakers will replace/swap out of thier integrated helmet speakers? I have to go look, the wife thoroughly enjoys her Sena SAVAGE and Momentum helmet(s) and it would be nice to swap out for better speakers.

Do you mind sending me the link or what-not where you got the info from?

I purchased directly from Sena

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,437 Posts
I wonder how much it will reduce battery longevity between charges. If only for comms, maybe not much, but I would think it would reduce the battery if using for music.

·
Bronze member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder how much it will reduce battery longevity between charges. If only for comms, maybe not much, but I would think it would reduce the battery if using for music.
I'm no electronics whiz, but I doubt that clearer sounding speakers draw any more amps than the originals. They are exactly the same physical size at the originals.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
The JBL speakers in the Packtalk Black are slightly larger than the JBL speakers in the Packtalk Bold (45mm vs 40mm), but there is not a huge difference in the sound quality of the 2. I certainly would not spring for a 2nd black when a 2 pack of the bold was about the same price as the first black. And if you ever change your mind, the speakers are available separately for the bold, or pretty much anything else. I love the cardo system, and the black is a nice touch, but a serious premium for very little upgrade over the bold.

·
Rider
1,437 Posts
I'm no electronics whiz, but I doubt that clearer sounding speakers draw any more amps than the originals. They are exactly the same physical size at the originals.
I think a big reason why Sena came out with the HD speakers is mostly to compete with Cardo's JBL. Prior to the recent release of the HD speakers, Sena owners were turning to aftermarket solutions like the IASUS line which reportedly sounds much better than the original Sena's, but you do sacrifice battery life for better sound. Typically, better sounding speakers is due to larger diameter or deeper throw of the drivers which require larger magnets and voice coils which draw more amperage. I'm not sure if this is indicative of the HD drivers, but I would assume that there would be some reduction in battery life.

·
Bronze member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think a big reason why Sena came out with the HD speakers is mostly to compete with Cardo's JBL. Prior to the recent release of the HD speakers, Sena owners were turning to aftermarket solutions like the IASUS line which reportedly sounds much better than the original Sena's, but you do sacrifice battery life for better sound. Typically, better sounding speakers is due to larger diameter or deeper throw of the drivers which require larger magnets and voice coils which draw more amperage. I'm not sure if this is indicative of the HD drivers, but I would assume that there would be some reduction in battery life.
If so, the battery life of the 20S is already less than ideal. When out on an all day of touring we always have the recharge them at least once.

·
Rider
1,437 Posts
Hey Dave, now that you have had your Cardo for over a year, what are your thoughts? I'm still using an older Sena 10S. Unfortunately, Sena doesn't sell a HD upgrade for the 10S, possibly due to it using different plugs and cable lengths from the two speakers. Anyhow, i'm considering purchasing another duo pack of either the Sena 50S or Cardo Packtalk Bold. A friend of mine has both and seems to like the Cardo better. He thinks the Cardo sounds better, but I question his opinion because he is half deaf already. I wear foam earplugs when I ride which makes my 10S sound more natural and not too bad. I typically have no problem hearing music or having conversations, but sometimes just want a little more volume.

·
Bronze member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Dave, now that you have had your Cardo for over a year, what are your thoughts? I'm still using an older Sena 10S. Unfortunately, Sena doesn't sell a HD upgrade for the 10S, possibly due to it using different plugs and cable lengths from the two speakers. Anyhow, i'm considering purchasing another duo pack of either the Sena 50S or Cardo Packtalk Bold. A friend of mine has both and seems to like the Cardo better. He thinks the Cardo sounds better, but I question his opinion because he is half deaf already. I wear foam earplugs when I ride which makes my 10S sound more natural and not too bad. I typically have no problem hearing music or having conversations, but sometimes just want a little more volume.
I am still a big fan of the Cardo. So much that I purchased the kit to add to each of my helmets.
I also have a set of Sena 20S that I upgraded to the HD speakers. The Packtalk Black sounds better and has quite a bit longer battery life.
If you are making a new purchase I’d go with the Packtalk. I saw them on sale before Christmas so hopefully those deals are still out there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I needed a new helmet and got the Shoei GT-Air II specifically because it's designed to integrate with the Sena SRL 2. I love the helmet, like the old Shoei it replaced, but I'm very disappointed with the Sena sound quality. It's nothing but the high frequencies with zero bass or midrange. It's just tinny sounding for music. I suppose it works fine for intercom. Unfortunately this model can't get upgraded speakers either.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I needed a new helmet and got the Shoei GT-Air II specifically because it's designed to integrate with the Sena SRL 2. I love the helmet, like the old Shoei it replaced, but I'm very disappointed with the Sena sound quality. It's nothing but the high frequencies with zero bass or midrange. It's just tinny sounding for music. I suppose it works fine for intercom. Unfortunately this model can't get upgraded speakers either.
I installed the Cardo bold into this helmet. Unit needs to sit further back offsetting the sena insertion panel.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Pm me your contact info. I can give you further info .

·
Rider
1,437 Posts
I waited too long before I started using hearing protection and now deal with some hearing loss and tinnitus. But, to keep from getting worse, I wear foam ear plugs (howard leight / laser lite) 99% of the time I ride. They do reduce the volume of the Sena 10S speakers, but they make them sound much more natural, and take out the high pitch frequencies.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I waited too long before I started using hearing protection and now deal with some hearing loss and tinnitus. But, to keep from getting worse, I wear foam ear plugs (howard leight / laser lite) 99% of the time I ride. They do reduce the volume of the Sena 10S speakers, but they make them sound much more natural, and take out the high pitch frequencies.
Maybe some additional foam over the top of them will help. I just did a beautiful 2 hour ride due to Cinderella weather today and can’t say I even thought about playing music. I got a Springfield and I guess if it was that important I would’ve gotten the Chieftain

·
Rider
1,437 Posts
Maybe some additional foam over the top of them will help. I just did a beautiful 2 hour ride due to Cinderella weather today and can’t say I even thought about playing music. I got a Springfield and I guess if it was that important I would’ve gotten the Chieftain
Yep, quite often the mechanical sound of the engine and the sweet exhaust note is music to your ears. I have a Chieftain, but very very seldom do I use the speakers. The few times that I do are about only when I am on a big stretch of concrete slab and am needing a change from listening to my Sena helmet speakers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts