Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if any folks here have mounted and installed a run flat car tire on the rear?
Is there room for it?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Putting a car tyre on a bike is called going to the Darkside. I imagine a web search will turn up all sorts of stuff, including cautions against it as your insurance might not like it if you crash.

There's room if you get one to fit the fender width. You won't be the first.

·
Rider
858 Posts
Hell you can put a snow track on it if you really want.
I haven't heard of any darksiders doing the run-flat style tires tho
I think that's what he's asking

ride well

·
Rider
817 Posts
I've ran Dunlop, Yokohama and Michelin 195/55r16 run flat mud and snow tires in the past. They're aprox 1''> in diameter and a square edge naturally. The pluses: price(<$100) longevity(45-50k miles) and riding in heavy rain. IMO the run flat aspect is a big plus. TPMS, highly recommended. You may not even notice a flat on one which means the bead is still seated on the rim. It's a bad thing to have a blow out at high speed and the tire balls up underneath you. The negatives: I find really no difference in handling and cornering on smooth even pavement. Uneven rutty roads may scare you to death though if you're not prepared or experienced riding them. Even rolling up to a stop light. Very few shops will even talk to you about mounting one up and many wont't work on a bike with a car tire mounted. I mount my own now so thats not a problem. According to the darkside info list they fit just fine on a Chieftain. I would get so tired of dealerships trying to squeeze out close to $500 for a mounted rear tire that lasted 12k miles. Which meant $1k per season for rear tires and another 3 or $400 every other year for a front. A table lift paid for its self many time over. I've stuck with motorcycle tires on the RM though, getting 20k miles on either a Commander ll or Elite lV. $200 + a bag of balancing beads, not that going back to the darkside doesn't cross my mind.

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
Wondering if any folks here have mounted and installed a run flat car tire on the rear?
Is there room for it?

Speaking from someone who used to do a car tire on the back wheel when I had my Vulcan 2000 classic I would not do this on the Indians. On my Vulcan it never handled that good to begin with and with all the power and torque that 2053cc engine had (it was no longer stock) I ate up back tires really quick. My Metzlers would be showing cord at 5K! I moved to a car tire out of necessity. Did the Michelin Pilot Exalto and they ran great. Lots of miles on that tire. With that being said it does change the handling of the bike. Since the Vulcan was not much of a corner carver I did not mind it too much. The handling of the Chieftain and RMs is night and day to what I had on my Vulcan. My RM for being a big touring bike handles like a dream. I could not imagine losing that just for the sake of going to a car tire. Like others have stated going to either the Dunlop E4s or like I use the Michelin Commander 2s will give you much better tire life. Personally I like having a bias tire on the back, that is what I get with the Michelins. They simply last longer on a big heavy touring bike. Dean

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Car tires on bikes is scary and when I did a test ride on a customers Honda Valkyrie, I nearly got hit by a car.

I was turning right out of my shop's driveway onto a 3 lane road. only one car was coming my way but it was in the fast lane. I thought, well I can easily turn and take the lane closest to the curb. Well, me not being used to car tires on bikes and how much more effort is involved just trying to get the bike to lean the way I am used to. The bike did not lean and my turn was widened to nearly cross into the fast lane, right in front of the car that was coming and passed right by me.

Then as I was completing my test ride. I came up to a red light and when I went to split the lane to get to the front. Hitting each reflector would send the bike either left or right and I nearly clipped every car in the line up.

Just a bad idea in general. The only and absolute only way I might even consider putting a car tire on a cycle. Is if I lived in rural Oklahoma or some farm land area that only had straight roads and nearly no other vehicles on the road.

·
Rider
817 Posts
Car tires on bikes is scary and when I did a test ride on a customers Honda Valkyrie, I nearly got hit by a car.

I was turning right out of my shop's driveway onto a 3 lane road. only one car was coming my way but it was in the fast lane. I thought, well I can easily turn and take the lane closest to the curb. Well, me not being used to car tires on bikes and how much more effort is involved just trying to get the bike to lean the way I am used to. The bike did not lean and my turn was widened to nearly cross into the fast lane, right in front of the car that was coming and passed right by me.

Then as I was completing my test ride. I came up to a red light and when I went to split the lane to get to the front. Hitting each reflector would send the bike either left or right and I nearly clipped every car in the line up.

Just a bad idea in general. The only and absolute only way I might even consider putting a car tire on a cycle. Is if I lived in rural Oklahoma or some farm land area that only had straight roads and nearly no other vehicles on the road.
Yep they can be scary if you’re not used to them. I’ve darksided on a Gold Wing, Vic Vision and Harley for 200k miles or so and enjoyed them. But they’re not for everyone and I recommend run at your own risk.Thats why many or most shops won’t work on one. They don’t want their techs taking off on a test ride and get into trouble.

Reactions: Moto_Max

·
Rider
1,180 Posts
Amen Bro
Car tires belong on a car and bike tires for bike.
The contact patch is way different on bike tires verses car.
The bike tire profile is rounded which enhances the lean handling verses the sharper edge of a car tire
Want to do cheaper saving money?
Spoon you own on and add the balance beads.
I wouldnt threaten my life with poor tires not designed for handling and wallow like a big ol pig to steer.
There are enough hazards on the road today with crappy drivers. I need all the help I can get to stay clean.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
Yep they can be scary if you’re not used to them. I’ve darksided on a Gold Wing, Vic Vision and Harley for 200k miles or so and enjoyed them. But they’re not for everyone and I recommend run at your own risk.Thats why many or most shops won’t work on one. They don’t want their techs taking off on a test ride and get into trouble.
I would agree that a car tire in the back changes how the bike handles. Is it dangerous? In my opinion, No. Just different. Part of it is the proper amount of air pressure to allow the fire to deflect in a turn but not too much that the fire walks around when you add throttle in the turn. On my Vulcan with my size about 33 psi worked best. The Michelin Exalto I used was a directional tire that had a more rounded profile than other tires offered. It worked great for me but it is not for everyone. I just would not do it on an Indian just because the bike handles so well to begin with and I get very good life out of my Commander 2s.

Reactions: HINK

·
Bronze member
3,166 Posts
I run a snow tire on mine,Firestone,not a run flat as I run about 30 psi and the cushion effect is like an air shock,takes out all the bumps,and is great on road groves,tar snakes and rain.talked to my insurance lady,and as long as it's a dot approved tire,no problem.now I know someone will say dot approved for motorcycle,but that's not what was said.bike shops usually don't have a problem with mounting one as they aren't liable for your tires anyway.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Moto Max..... long time no see.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
This seems line a third-world thing in a first world on a First World product..
I can find no reason to do this other than cost.. I wouldnt compromise that much ability and safety to save a few bucks. If I needed to save a few bucks I'd find other ways. To me this sounds like saving 50 bucks, but removing $5k of engineering in regards to handling and safety.
Nothing about this seems to net positive over all.
IMHO.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Is there room for it?

Nooooo....

What kind of NUT would do that?!!?

Oh, wait....
I have a good 100,000 miles on car tires on my bikes....

Yup, I have a CT on my Chieftain and love it. Better (for me) than the Dunflop that was one there originally.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I can find no reason to do this other than cost.. I wouldnt compromise that much ability and safety to save a few bucks. If I needed to save a few bucks I'd find other ways. To me this sounds like saving 50 bucks, but removing $5k of engineering in regards to handling and safety.
IMHO.
I know you mean well...

And cost CAN be a consideration for many.

ORIGINALLY, just a few years ago, there were no tires rated to carry two large adults on a big heavy touring machine.

Dunlop was sued for a rash of accidents -- I'm sure if you search, you'll still find stuff to read.

The Darkside List was created and hundreds of riders contributed with their data of sucesses or failures.

Car tires were mostly mounted on Harley full dressers and Goldwings.

Here we are about 10 or so years later. Car tires now have runflat technology. Guys going on epic journeys choose these for safety and longevity.

I have a Car Tire on back beccause it outperforms the stock Dunlop in the conditions I ride. Superior grip. Superior braking.

It is an excellent choice for many.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

Honestly, the problem was YOU.

If you had hopped on a Vrod with a 240, the same thing would have happened.

Rider inexperience causes many accidents.

100,000+ miles on CT's and I can hang with anyone on the corners.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IMHO.
For me cost is not an issue at all. I've run a car tire on my goldwing for the last 10 yrs... No issues what so ever, a little of a learning curve the first 50 or so miles but after that smooth as butter. And riding in the rain.... Holy crap is the traction there. Yes you have to run the psi at the right level, I find with two up 31 psi is perfect for us. If solo I go up a few psi. And as for piece of mind, I'm so much more at ease with the CT on there if I had a flat at 70 then I was with a mc tire. I've had flats with both ct and mc tire.... With the CT I could barely tell I was low on air due to the side walls on a run flat.
Also I'm pretty sure you have more rubber on the Rd with the CT then the MC tire, maybe in sharp lean turns where the MC may be too the advantage, but I don't grind the pegs any longer these days.
So for me the CT has been great on the wing for years. I only ride the Indian solo and compared to the wing, for me the Indian handles very rough compared to the wing, especially in slow turns. I think though I'm just a bit spoiled with the
" bark-a-lounger" ride of my wing. Love my chieftain... Just wanted to see if I could get as close a set up on her as I have on the wing.
Thanks guys for all the options, I appreciate them all.
JD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nooooo....

What kind of NUT would do that?!!?

Oh, wait....
I have a good 100,000 miles on car tires on my bikes....

Yup, I have a CT on my Chieftain and love it. Better (for me) than the Dunflop that was one there originally.
What size you running and pressure riding solo?
How's she handle with the CT on there, slow turns any easier?
Thanks for your input.
JD

1 - 20 of 116 Posts