Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Indian decided to go and update the head unit to use Apple CarPlay and not Android Auto. I thought I would offer a suggestion to a few folks on how you can work around this for a quick minute until the next update in July 2021 where they add Android Auto. :D

I went to the basement and found one of my daughters old iPhone 5s phones in a box. Fired it up, updated to IOS 12, and installed all of my google applications on it, Pandora, and Spotify. I also downloaded the offline maps for my entire area into google maps so it's already there and we are not trying to download it over the air as I'm riding. (100MB).

After getting all of that set up, I hot spotted my Note 10+5G and logged the iPhone into it. Plugged it into the bike and it works perfectly. Maps, Music, ect. I never take phone calls or texts on the road anyways so I don't need all of that. Works great and didn't cost me anything but an hour of time to get it up and running.

I just leave the device plugged in in the bike, and as soon as I connect my headset the head unit flips over automatically to Apple Carplay.

I'm looking for a cheap headset solution now to keep plugged into the bike so that the system just stays on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great that it works for you.....So, essentially, you got an iPhone to make Carplay work......
Yeah, A cheap old iPhone that you can find almost anywhere for less than 30 bucks. Mine was free since it was in the basement.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
614 Posts
I wonder what the possible "hold up" could be for AA though? That's pretty strange. First time I've seen CarPlay released on something before AA.

·
Bronze member
2,996 Posts
Since Indian decided to go and update the head unit to use Apple CarPlay and not Android Auto. I thought I would offer a suggestion to a few folks on how you can work around this for a quick minute until the next update in July 2021 where they add Android Auto. :D

I went to the basement and found one of my daughters old iPhone 5s phones in a box. Fired it up, updated to IOS 12, and installed all of my google applications on it, Pandora, and Spotify. I also downloaded the offline maps for my entire area into google maps so it's already there and we are not trying to download it over the air as I'm riding. (100MB).

After getting all of that set up, I hot spotted my Note 10+5G and logged the iPhone into it. Plugged it into the bike and it works perfectly. Maps, Music, ect. I never take phone calls or texts on the road anyways so I don't need all of that. Works great and didn't cost me anything but an hour of time to get it up and running.

I just leave the device plugged in in the bike, and as soon as I connect my headset the head unit flips over automatically to Apple Carplay.

I'm looking for a cheap headset solution now to keep plugged into the bike so that the system just stays on.
Just about all the Bluetooth car speakers will charge and bluetooth at the same time. I bought a $28 Motorola, velcroed it to the inside of the saddlebag lid and keep it plugged into the saddle bag charger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts