Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate riding with an earpiece, but I love the features of Car Play such as Pandora and Waze. I never use the voice features, so I figured I’d get creative. I ordered a mini Bluetooth speaker with a built in mic and a 12V dual USB module. I soldered about 2 feet of red and black primary cable onto the module I popped the left side compartment out, ran the pigtails through the back of the compartment insert, and 3M taped the module to the inside of the fairing. The wires are ran directly to the battery, so the USB ports are always hot. Now I can leave the Bluetooth speaker plugged in and always charging, plus I have an extra port to charge the wife’s phone. Car Play initialized as soon as I start the bike and plug my phone in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very slick workaround that will always be there and never need to be charged up and ready. I like it!

I was considering something like this for when I had my half helmet on and didn't have my Sena or Cardo headset. Seeing as I use the voice commands (my garage doors are programmed so I can use Siri to open and close them for example), I wanted access to a mic without a dumb boom across my face and ended up going with this:

It's like a big oversized goofy watch but it slips on easily. It easily fits over my jacket or glove cuffs. Paired up with the bike it's seen as a headset. I can talk to my wrist and the speaker is just loud enough that I can hear the prompts and a few other commands. Certainly not good enough for voice dictation at speed unless I hold my hand close to my face (which works, but for me nothing is that important when I am riding).

·
Bronze member
1,680 Posts
I hate riding with an earpiece, but I love the features of Car Play such as Pandora and Waze. I never use the voice features, so I figured I’d get creative. I ordered a mini Bluetooth speaker with a built in mic and a 12V dual USB module. I soldered about 2 feet of red and black primary cable onto the module I popped the left side compartment out, ran the pigtails through the back of the compartment insert, and 3M taped the module to the inside of the fairing. The wires are ran directly to the battery, so the USB ports are always hot. Now I can leave the Bluetooth speaker plugged in and always charging, plus I have an extra port to charge the wife’s phone. Car Play initialized as soon as I start the bike and plug my phone in. View attachment 608139 View attachment 608140 View attachment 608141
I hate riding with an earpiece, but I love the features of Car Play such as Pandora and Waze. I never use the voice features, so I figured I’d get creative. I ordered a mini Bluetooth speaker with a built in mic and a 12V dual USB module. I soldered about 2 feet of red and black primary cable onto the module I popped the left side compartment out, ran the pigtails through the back of the compartment insert, and 3M taped the module to the inside of the fairing. The wires are ran directly to the battery, so the USB ports are always hot. Now I can leave the Bluetooth speaker plugged in and always charging, plus I have an extra port to charge the wife’s phone. Car Play initialized as soon as I start the bike and plug my phone in. View attachment 608139 View attachment 608140 View attachment 608141
Great idea. I hope you put a very small Amp fuse in the positive wire from the battery. Its not really a good idea to run direct without a fuse. Use the rating of the USB device to determine fuse rating. Less than 1 amp I'm sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great idea. I hope you put a very small Amp fuse in the positive wire from the battery. Its not really a good idea to run direct without a fuse. Use the rating of the USB device to determine fuse rating. Less than 1 amp I'm sure.
The output is 3A max and the module has overload and thermal protection just like a home charger. An inline fuse can be used for piece of mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very slick workaround that will always be there and never need to be charged up and ready. I like it!

I was considering something like this for when I had my half helmet on and didn't have my Sena or Cardo headset. Seeing as I use the voice commands (my garage doors are programmed so I can use Siri to open and close them for example), I wanted access to a mic without a dumb boom across my face and ended up going with this:

It's like a big oversized goofy watch but it slips on easily. It easily fits over my jacket or glove cuffs. Paired up with the bike it's seen as a headset. I can talk to my wrist and the speaker is just loud enough that I can hear the prompts and a few other commands. Certainly not good enough for voice dictation at speed unless I hold my hand close to my face (which works, but for me nothing is that important when I am riding).
I wish I had seen this first. I might switch to this and give my daughter the tiny speaker I have.
Does it work while charging? That is the deciding factor that made me go with the speaker I bought.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I didn't test with the bike but I just turned mine on while plugged into the charger. So I'm pretty sure that's a yes to your question about if it works when charging.

·
Bronze member
1,680 Posts
The output is 3A max and the module has overload and thermal protection just like a home charger. An inline fuse can be used for piece of mind.
The difference is at home the circuits are on breakers, a motorcycle battery has more amps (310) than the home panel. If those wires should short to ground, you'll have a nice melt down while the end device is still happy. .

·
Registered
122 Posts
The difference is at home the circuits are on breakers, a motorcycle battery has more amps (310) than the home panel. If those wires should short to ground, you'll have a nice melt down while the end device is still happy. .
Appreciate your perspective masspatriot; allow my ignorance to ask.... won’t any connected device pull only the amps it needs?
I wired this dual USB port from the left side knockout direct to the battery, no fuse. (it has no light or volt readout so it draws nothing alone.) What’s the risk? (my iPhone is bar-mounted directly above, so it stays charged.)

My question also relates to another side topic: bike manual says to charge battery with a smart charger of max 2amps. Why that limit? If I connect to a 5A smart charger, does that hurt the battery in any way. Thanks-

·
Rider
426 Posts
Bought this little Bluetooth mic doohickey along with a dual USB cord (1 plug data/1 plug power) and it works perfect.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,090 Posts
Gman1, the fuse is there for safety. Say you installed something without a fuse and at the farthest point from the battery, the cable rubbed and shorted to ground. At that point, the battery would try to dump its full current. Because the wire has some resistance, that generates a lot of heat causing the wire to burn up. If the wire were fused, the fuse would blow preventing the fire. That's also the reason you want the fuse close to the battery and why fuse selection is important. You want a fuse big enough to cover your load but small enough to prevent issues.

The charging is similar. If you try to give it too much power too fast, it generates heat. You used to be able to hear lead acid batteries boil becuase the old chargers just threw power at them. My guess is that the smart charger should be fine. The newer chargers seem to monitor many of the different variables to not harm the battery.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Gman1

·
Rider
504 Posts
Bought this little Bluetooth mic doohickey along with a dual USB cord (1 plug data/1 plug power) and it works perfect.
Any link, or name of this device? This looks nice and slim, kind of what I am looking for

·
Rider
504 Posts
Also, has anyone found an unused power connecter behind the fairing? I thought my Chieftain had a few randomly throughout the bike for various options. That would be a great way to connect one of those USB power converters.

·
Rider
426 Posts
Any link, or name of this device? This looks nice and slim, kind of what I am looking for

Visit the Mpow Store
4.5 out of 5 stars 5,486Reviews
Mpow BH298A Bluetooth Receiver, Aux Wireless Bluetooth with Bluetooth 5.0 for Wired Speakers/Headphones/Home Music Streaming Stereo System, Protable Bluetooth Car Adapter, Easy Control On/Off Slider

Brand: Onvian
4.1 out of 5 stars 1,276Reviews
Onvian USB Splitter Cable Male to 2 Female Adapter USB A Cord 2 Port Hub for Data Charging Syncing (Only one Port for Data)
Amazon's Choicefor "usb power splitter"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts