Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts about risks from using the Captain Itch heat shield? The rear cylinder on all V-twins already works under duress from the heat from the front cylinder. If air around the rear cylinder is impeded or the heat not allowed to escape, do you think there is any risk?

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Rider
821 Posts
If you use the search engine, there are a couple threads on Captain Itch. Some love it, others have sold it, others have a speculation on it’s effect. Good luck with this one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Any thoughts about risks from using the Captain Itch heat shield? The rear cylinder on all V-twins already works under duress from the heat from the front cylinder. If air around the rear cylinder is impeded or the heat not allowed to escape, do you think there is any risk?
I had one on my first Roadmaster and it caused my relays on my fuse block to overheat and shut down the bike. The fuse block is in an area that if air can’t get there it gets really hot. I removed it and just put on the Kuraykn shields and never had another problem since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
just got one put on my 18 RM. my thoughts are with the cat putting out so much heat, should be built for a very high temp. with the CI on air flow get diverted an goes out. from under an back. I'm thinking the only thing that could change would be the Oil Temp rising. But with a 5qt oil pan along with a little oil cooler should compensate for extra heat.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I have used one for the better part of a year -- since June '18. After going to Freedom duals and losing the cat, I don't really need the CI anymore. I still liked it for both looks and if you lean over and accidentally lay a thigh on the rear head, the CI keeps you from getting branded. I did this last week and remembered it was on loan to my wife for her Chieftain. When installed on the Chieftain, she commented right away about noticing the difference.

I don't think the CI will harm your bike, nor do I think it somehow scoops in air to redirect the heat. It is just a shield that keeps some of the heat off your inner thighs.

Reactions: wildmandmc

·
Silver member
3,839 Posts
Common sense tells me it will retain/cause additional heat accumulation at the rear cylinder whilst standing still. Once ya get rolling it shouldn't be any hinderance at all. Had one on my Vintage for a year now. Yes, I would recommend it to a friend.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Common sense tells me it will retain/cause additional heat accumulation at the rear cylinder whilst standing still. Once ya get rolling it shouldn't be any hinderance at all. Had one on my Vintage for a year now. Yes, I would recommend it to a friend.
And, the proper answer is:....... Keep on rolling.[cigar][cigar][cigar]

·
Founding member
546 Posts
I have been using my Captain Itch heat shield for over 5 yrs with no issues for 35k miles. To me worth every penny. And yes, it does make a big difference. I remove it in October for the cooler weather riding and then put it back on in the Summer when it gets hot. Just my 2 cents. And I like the looks also, although it is starting to fade a bit.
TC

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had one on my first Roadmaster and it caused my relays on my fuse block to overheat and shut down the bike. The fuse block is in an area that if air can’t get there it gets really hot. I removed it and just put on the Kuraykn shields and never had another problem since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No problems with the bike but what about your balls?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone interested in a Captain Itch, I have one for sale. Only used once, found that it covered up my Diamond cut cylinders way too much and blocked all that money I spent. I think I might go another route. email me if interested.

[email protected]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been using mine for three years in 90 to 100 degree temperatures with 0 problems. as you are riding down the road at speed the wind will catch it and flare it out putting more air to the rear cylinder. and it will save your right leg

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have been using mine here in Phoenix for 4 years with no issues. I ride year round and temps in the summer can hit 115. Yes I ride in some stop and go traffic to and from work, although it is only a 20 minute commute each way. It definitely saves my thighs from roasting.
Rawhide

1 - 20 of 21 Posts