Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Captain Itch leather heat guard for my 2018 Indian Roadmaster. When I originally installed it, I couldn't get it to go under the tank, so I had the top edges laying on the side of my fuel tank; it looked okay and was quite effective. I just did some recent mods which included removing the CAT from my header during which I removed it because I thought I'd no longer need it. The heat is not as bad, but I've now decided to reinstall it; however, I can't seem to be able to crack the code on getting it under the tank.

Even with the aft end of the fuel tank lifted, I can't find a way to get beneath the wiring harness...it spiderwebs to too many locations. I thought about cutting it, but I don't want to cause so much damage to the original design that it's not usable.

If anyone has some insight on this, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a Captain Itch leather heat guard for my 2018 Indian Roadmaster. When I originally installed it, I couldn't get it to go under the tank, so I had the top edges laying on the side of my fuel tank; it looked okay and was quite effective. I just did some recent mods which included removing the CAT from my header during which I removed it because I thought I'd no longer need it. The heat is not as bad, but I've now decided to reinstall it; however, I can't seem to be able to crack the code on getting it under the tank.

Even with the aft end of the fuel tank lifted, I can't find a way to get beneath the wiring harness...it spiderwebs to too many locations. I thought about cutting it, but I don't want to cause so much damage to the original design that it's not usable.

Thanks!!
I've got an 18 RM and go u tube and watch how its done you lay it down and gotta press like no tomorrow to make it fit once it seated even the seat seams pressed up a bit but after a few rides with weight on it and heat it will break in,it took me a bit to figure it out but once it's in it looks mint and works the balls, also you got the cat gutted if you went with Indiana flash card its running real lean that's a big problem with everyone,you will want to get a fuel management system,dobeck,or whatever and richen that up a bit that will take care of the heat.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts

Thanks!!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bonzai gave you the straight story on the Captain Itch. You aren't imagining how hard it is though. I about gave up before figuring it out. The U-Tube video is good. I had the extra thick Captain Itch and thought maybe that was the problem. It really wasn't. I kind of used my left hand to flatten out the very front part of the seat while holding up the rear of the seat as far up as I could for as long as I could with my right hand. Then you just have to shove like no tomorrow. I think the secret for me was flattening out the front and getting the front part of the female seat holes lined up with the male spikes on the bike. Once you get that started, a big shove from behind and kind of wiggling the rear end at the same time and it will go on. The next times aren't a lot easier but a little and you will have a system figured out. Soon, it will go on like a tight glove. Good luck.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I remember beating mine to death with a hammer before I could fit the seat down on it, it worked. Capn said if I ruined it he would make it good.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
I had the same problem during the original installation. After removing the CC once, I decided to trim the "window" a bit with a box cutter. Just a shave. That helped. Also, after installing his leather grip wraps, which have instructions for wetting them (soaking) then tying them in place I had an idea. Wet the leather around the problem area. Instead of water I used mink oil to really soak that window/tank/ frame area of the CC until it was pliable. Success! It molded to the frame and around the tank easily. The seat popped right on without the fight. Once dried, the shape remains. Now, when the CC is removed, it drops right back into place.
The pic below is NOT a Captain Itch product. It is from another manufacturer ,Forged Glory, and is not as thick as the Captain Itch model. I had a similar experience with it and broke out the oil the first day.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I ended up just cutting mine. In the picture above, I chopped off the right side section that goes underneath the metal mounting hooks. I just continued the existing cuts and discarded that part. It has worked fine for a few years, and sits on there with no problems, except it is easy to remove/replace the seat now.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Today I have the bike apart and thought about this thread so I snapped a few photos.

Here is the Captain Itch CC with the window trimmed.

It does NOT go under the tank.

Once molded, it will retain its shape. It will even stand up in the corner by itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts