Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Captain Itch Crotch Cooler on a 2016 Roadmaster? The seats for the 2015 & 2016 RM have different part numbers but I don't know the difference. It looks like a slam dunk when I watch the video but it's being done on a Chieftain.(different seat) I've seen it on a 2015 RM. My problem is I can't get the seat to latch at the front. I talked to Larry at Captain Itch and he said I may have to make the holes larger. He also said if I couldn't get it to fit send it back and he'd refund my money even with the cuts. Great to do business with people like that. Anyway if anyone has installed it on a 2016 RM please let me know if they had to enlarge the hole sizes and by how much.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have one on each bike. It was a lifesaver yesterday. Got caught in a traffic jam yesterday due to an accident. Basically, walked the bike a mile or so, kept my legs very cool. in the past I would have had some heat on my thighs big time.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,979 Posts
I installed one on my 15 RM the other day. I had to have my wife push down on the front of the seat while I pushed forward. Took some doing but once it started it went fairly easy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have one on each bike. It was a lifesaver yesterday. Got caught in a traffic jam yesterday due to an accident. Basically, walked the bike a mile or so, kept my legs very cool. in the past I would have had some heat on my thighs big time.
What
bikes do you have?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I had one on my 15 RM and had to cut the sides of the squares to be able to slide the seat better. The install on my 16 DH was the same just with a smaller seat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just put one on my Springfield and had to trim it quite a bit. Looks great and works as expected. I called Larry for help and he said sometimes you gotta cut them a little.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
Just ordered mine today. After a brutal ride on Monday with 111 degree temps, the decision was made. Some say that laying it in the sun for a time, softens the leather and makes it more pliable for the install. I'll know soon. Ordered mine with the studs and feather in tan - 2015 Vintage
Pat

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Two thumbs up from me, it works like a charm. On install you do have to push down and slide seat forward at same time. Did not have to cut mine but took a few tries. I think the Captain has a video on his website on how to install. Sitting the leather in the sun for a while sounds like a good trick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Installed mine on a 16 RM and first time putting the seat back on it took a few attempts. Grab the rear of the seat where it bolts onto the rear fender, lift the back of the seat up and angle the front of the seat downward. Press down on the front of your seat with your left hand, while you push forward from the back with your right hand. Place your foot behind the kickstand so you don't push the bike off the stand as the bike will slightly move while pushing forward. First time getting the seat on with the new Capt. Itch is tough, If it doesn't go on, Stop, go read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and come back when you are in a different frame of mind!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I went with the Kuryakn flaps that mount in the sampe area and they allowed my to use my right hwy bar, never could for long before. I think the Captain itch is a great idea but the leather does not match so I opted for the Kuryakn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Installed mine on a 16 RM and first time putting the seat back on it took a few attempts. Grab the rear of the seat where it bolts onto the rear fender, lift the back of the seat up and angle the front of the seat downward. Press down on the front of your seat with your left hand, while you push forward from the back with your right hand. Place your foot behind the kickstand so you don't push the bike off the stand as the bike will slightly move while pushing forward. First time getting the seat on with the new Capt. Itch is tough, If it doesn't go on, Stop, go read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and come back when you are in a different frame of mind!
x2 ^^^ Put mine on yesterday that way and 94 deg today over lunch and a huge difference at stop lights :)

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
Don't know anything about that. But that avatar is one fine looking canine. I've always liked the Shepard breed, damn fine animals.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I bought one 2 months ago, no cutting here. Once you hammer on the seat to force it on the 1st time, then do a couple of washs, it no problem at all

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I bought one 2 months ago, no cutting here. Once you hammer on the seat to force it on the 1st time, then do a couple of washs, it no problem at all
Exactly, same for mine that I installed on my 2015 Chieftain a year and a half ago

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I went with the Kuryakn flaps that mount in the sampe area and they allowed my to use my right hwy bar, never could for long before. I think the Captain itch is a great idea but the leather does not match so I opted for the Kuryakn.
I haven't found the plastic kuryakin heat shields to help much. I have had them on since they came out and they only seem to heat up my seat......I was concerned about the leather ears and the rear cylinder not getting enough air which doesn't seem to be a problem.... Do they flap into your legs all the time? I may have to buy them......

1 - 20 of 100 Posts