Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,619 Posts
Hey @Dean E, I understand where you're coming from. I just know that there are thousands of TS riders who have put hundreds of thousands of miles on their bikes with the Capt. Itch and have suffered no breakdowns.

I tend to hold onto my bike for a while, too. Good new is, even though my DH Chieftain is three years older than yours, still has the cat (I'll get rid of it someday), and the factory tune . . . I have not felt the need to pull my pistons out of it.

We will both, I'm sure, do what we each feel is best for out bikes and ourselves.

Ride Safe ! ! !

BD
Three years older than a 2015 Roadmaster? They only reason the pistons got removed was to deal a death blow to the clanking my engine was doing. I was very surprised to see how much hotter the rear jug was getting even with the improvements I had made to get rid of some of the extra heat. That was also running full synthetic oil also (and a oil cooler). I do think the biggest issue will be for the RMs with the crotch coolers. The lower fairings just don't let much air get to the rear jug. I have heard of one issue related to the heat from the crotch cooler and was denied warranty because of it. It would be interesting to hear from others (especially RMs) to see how many miles they have with crotch coolers and still running strong. Dean

BTW, the bike is running great. No more clanking from my 111, just sweet V twin music! D

Reactions: Big Dawg

·
Rider
1,294 Posts
BD,
How many miles are on your bike now? And how many of those miles are with the Capt Itch? I also hold onto my bikes for a long time, and I have been nervous about getting a Capt Itch.
About 45K, it seems I put fewer miles on since I retired from Education two years ago and now work entirely from home. It's been on almost since the beginning.

I'm not saying that there could never be an issue related to them. But, like I said, there are likely thousands of TS riders (let along the HD rides that the Capt also makes coolers for) and hundreds of thousands of trouble-free, and comfortable, miles.

BD

Reactions: Wyld_Stallyn

·
Rider
1,294 Posts
I can't wait to hear y'all crying about heat on new chief. Those itchy crotch things make rider look like idiot. Oh look he covered half cylinder up because his air cooled engine gets hot. Amazing
Oh man . . . you think I look idiotic . . . like I give a sh!t . . .

BD

Reactions: gk1

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
BD,
How many miles are on your bike now? And how many of those miles are with the Capt Itch? I also hold onto my bikes for a long time, and I have been nervous about getting a Capt Itch.
@Wyld_Stallyn
There are about 36,000 miles on my '17 RM. It was purchased in May of '18 with about 8500 miles on it.. So, I put about 27,000 miles on it with a Capt Itch Crotch cooler installed. To date, it has been in for an oil leak twice, both covered under warranty. Both times the same issue, leaking O-rings on the rear cylinder valve rod tubes. According to Polaris, it was repaired once before I purchased it and again a few months after I purchased it. There is a rant from me somewhere on this site about the poor service from a non-selling dealer where Polaris had to step in to assist with warranty work. I think the story is relevant because, the parts manger told me Polaris had issues with a batch of the O-rings , specifically on the rear cylinder (he had to keep extra kits in stock). All due to the higher amount of heat put off by the rear cylinder. Regardless of whether or or not you have a Crotch Cooler installed.
Funny, I have not had an oil leak since the O-rings were replaced with high temp Delrin models.

For us, a 90 degree day is pleasant. The only time I have ever been concerned about engine overheating issues was sitting in traffic for 1.5 hours waiting on a ferry with the ambient temps right at 102. Then, we just powered off sat and baked. No engines were harmed.

Some things to keep in mind:
  • Captain Itch Crotch Coolers are thick and do not easily conform to the cylinder, Eventually, they will. They mostly drape over the cylinder head.
  • There is another brand, Forge Glory, that makes a larger, thinner, more flexible heat shield. My wife has one and I do often check the cylinders on her bike for excessive heat or oil deterioration. This model also tends to balloon out while traveling. It always gets hung up in her boots. But, it catches air.
  • TS 111 engine heads have faux cooling fins. They are decorative.
  • The primary cooling for this engine is oil.
  • Secondary cooling is radiated heat from the cooling fins on the cylinder, not the head.
  • Much of the heat felt on your inner thigh comes from the exhaust/catalytic converter. Otherwise, you left leg would also be burning.
  • Some people get quite emotional about this crotch subject.

Reactions: Big Dawg

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,619 Posts
@Wyld_Stallyn
There are about 36,000 miles on my '17 RM. It was purchased in May of '18 with about 8500 miles on it.. So, I put about 27,000 miles on it with a Capt Itch Crotch cooler installed. To date, it has been in for an oil leak twice, both covered under warranty. Both times the same issue, leaking O-rings on the rear cylinder valve rod tubes. According to Polaris, it was repaired once before I purchased it and again a few months after I purchased it. There is a rant from me somewhere on this site about the poor service from a non-selling dealer where Polaris had to step in to assist with warranty work. I think the story is relevant because, the parts manger told me Polaris had issues with a batch of the O-rings , specifically on the rear cylinder (he had to keep extra kits in stock). All due to the higher amount of heat put off by the rear cylinder. Regardless of whether or or not you have a Crotch Cooler installed.
Funny, I have not had an oil leak since the O-rings were replaced with high temp Delrin models.

For us, a 90 degree day is pleasant. The only time I have ever been concerned about engine overheating issues was sitting in traffic for 1.5 hours waiting on a ferry with the ambient temps right at 102. Then, we just powered off sat and baked. No engines were harmed.

• Captain Itch Crotch Coolers are thick and do not easily conform to the cylinder, Eventually, they will. They mostly drape over the cylinder head.
  • There is another brand, Forge Glory, that makes a larger, thinner, more flexible heat shield. My wife has one and I do often check the cylinders on her bike for excessive heat or oil deterioration. This model also tends to balloon out while traveling. It always gets hung up in her boots. But, it catches air.
  • Secondary cooling is radiated heat from the cooling fins on the cylinder, not the head.
  • Much of the heat felt on your inner thigh comes from the exhaust/catalytic converter. Otherwise, you left leg would also be burning.
Well a couple of things. The head DO have some serious fins for air cooling, only the cover piece for the valve covers and the close out for the exhaust header are decorative, the fins on the heads are much bigger that what is on the cylinder. Second if oil cooling is the Primary Source of cooling then why do the non fairing bikes come without oil coolers? I will agree that most of the heat comes from the cat. D

·
Rider
1,294 Posts
@Wyld_Stallyn

I am not familiar with that brand, but I have seen several Indian dealerships selling some sort of crotch cooler. They we not Capt. Itch's, so maybe they were FGs.

BD

·
Registered
248 Posts
@Wyld_Stallyn

Thank you, and very good points @Wharf Rat i figured out early on that the fins on the head covers are mostly for looks (and they do look cool), since you can reach down and touch the front head cover and it actually feels cool. Not much heat getting to there.
Nice to hear some experience from hot weather area too. That's where we are going to see the engine heat cause issues if there are going to be issues. I know everyone is going to have an opinion, plus everyone is willing to assume different levels of risk on their bike, i.e. 100+ MPH or crotch cooler, etc. I am glad to see some evidence of a couple of riders in hot weather that have had the crotch coolers on for several years and a big handful of miles. That's what i am looking for. Real world experience, more so than just anecdotal assumptions and preconceived notions, both of which i am guilty of.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
I realized I must be one of the tender legged riders. However I have realized that I only experience heat on the leg at levels that are concern when the ambient temp is >90 degrees f. After riding a while and stopping for a long light or stuck in houston traffic. It is nearly impossible to get the right leg far enough away to loose the fear of burning or catching your jeans on fire. While I really like the way my CC enhances the look of my bike, it alleviates some of the heat but not even close to the majority of it. For me the calf is what begins to make me want to get off the bike. My roadmaster still has the stock exhaust and tune. I plan tobget the jackpotbheader and a new tune from fuel moto soon and then I fully expect the bike to be much cooler. But I will still keep my CC because I love the tan leather on the bike. I get lots of complements wherever I ride it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I can't wait to hear y'all crying about heat on new chief. Those itchy crotch things make rider look like idiot. Oh look he covered half cylinder up because his air cooled engine gets hot. Amazing
What a pathetically stupid post. Many riders use it because, guess what, it works. That's why people put things on their bikes...because they work. But, hey, we're all just idiots.

·
Rider
1,042 Posts
I would worry about over heating the rear cylinder, I have a performance exhaust system with no CAT, this Thunder Stroke runs very cool.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,294 Posts
He only does custom stuff.
View attachment 629467
Looks nice. Here is mine along with the matching fender bib. It's a thicker/stiffer leather than some I've seen, plus it has the Alligator insert, so it does not flap around, nor does it fold down at stoplights.

I have seen thinner, plain-jane looking ones for sale in several Indian dealerships though. So, from my perspective, Indian/Polaris is not all that concerned about them.

I would worry about over heating the rear cylinder, I have a performance exhaust system with no CAT, this Thunder Stroke runs very cool.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Understood. If you're worried, you definitely should not get one.

BD

·
Registered
373 Posts
Looks nice. Love that arrowhead. I bought my CC from my dealership. They even put it on for me. I took it apart and added the studs myself then I had to re stich it. Took a lot longer than I expected. But they didn't have one with studs at the time. Now it matches my seat. And I got some experience and appreciation for hand sticking. Lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
@Wyld_Stallyn

I run a 2019 FTR and my right leg was getting baked by heat coming from the exhaust headers, so i wrapped them with appropriate exhaust wrap and removed the cat/Dyno tuner to cool things down. The Power Vision indicates that the exhaust gas temp runs 800 to 1000 degrees! The wrap has made a noticeable improvement in the "roasted leg-o'-lame" syndrome.....Hoping that i am not cooking the oxygen sensors, so far so good, about 1500 miles with the headers wrapped.
FYI if you ever saw the Anthony Hopkins movie "World's Fastest Indian" he had third degree burns on his right leg after his record-breaking speed run.
I guess it is just an Indian thing....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Just browsing and saw this thread. Heat is my main fear. Am very close to buying my first Indian (a 2021 Vintage) but the question of heat is what is holding me back. Several years ago I had a Harley Heritage and used to get cooked ... I live in the tropics by the way... so its absolutely brutal. But been on the Adv bikes and now back to the itch to have a cruiser. Indian is the choice....but V Twin rear cylinder is the fear. Read about Captain Itch etc.. but there was another solution (other than gutting the Cat which is probably what I will do if I do buy it) its called "Love Jugs" - and no thats not a magazine ....;-) its a fan system that a lot of Harley owners installed which apparently cooled the rear cylinder considerably so that the Harley heat mills would not cook ones thigh . I was wondering if any of you have used them. Apparently they now also make a model for the Indian V's

·
Registered
Dark Horse
233 Posts
Hi Just browsing and saw this thread. Heat is my main fear. Am very close to buying my first Indian (a 2021 Vintage) but the question of heat is what is holding me back. Several years ago I had a Harley Heritage and used to get cooked ... I live in the tropics by the way... so its absolutely brutal. But been on the Adv bikes and now back to the itch to have a cruiser. Indian is the choice....but V Twin rear cylinder is the fear. Read about Captain Itch etc.. but there was another solution (other than gutting the Cat which is probably what I will do if I do buy it) its called "Love Jugs" - and no thats not a magazine ....;-) its a fan system that a lot of Harley owners installed which apparently cooled the rear cylinder considerably so that the Harley heat mills would not cook ones thigh . I was wondering if any of you have used them. Apparently they now also make a model for the Indian V's
I swear I came across them discussed here somewhere.

Yup, just search Love Jugs up top.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
@OceanBreeze
What part of the tropics?

For what it is worth, here is my history with an Indian Roadmaster. I am pretty sure it is similar to others.
While headed to the Texas Hill Country for a long weekend of riding in May/June 2018, I stopped to look at an Indian and traded on the spot. The temps were already getting warm in the mid 90s. After a day of riding 2-up on the Twisted Sisters, I noted these things about the RM;
  • While very nimble, it was not as agile as the Vision. Or, I just need to adjust to the different weight distribution.
  • The RM seemed to be choked, or lacking a bit of power. Hard to describe this. The 111 is a powerful motor but it wasn't the same as the Vision. Later, I figured out the Vision had a Power Commander installed. The RM did not. Once a tune from Dynojet was installed the RM was just as peppy as the Vision.
  • The RM gave off a LOT of heat. A lot more than the 106 motor on the Vision. It was uncomfortable even through jeans and boots.
As soon as I got home, I began researching heat issues. Much information came via this forum. My first "modification" to the bike, or bling if you like, was a Crotch Cooler from Itch. I didn't really worry about the engine as much as I needed something to protect my inner thigh. The 111 was still hot, but better. Within several weeks, the tuner and custom tune from Dynojet was installed. THAT, made improvements in both motor response and temperature. The combination of a CC and engine tune makes the heat quite tolerable. You are never going to wear shorts while riding a 111 Indian.

After some months, I changed the exhaust to Freedom True Dual type. Loss of that little bit of power from dual exhaust is outside of this discussion. I acknowledge it happens. I just wanted to get rid of the cat but did not want to destroy anything (at that time). Now, the heat is gone. For a while I did not ride with the CC, just to see what it felt like. In fact, I loaned the CC to my wife for her Chieftain for a few months. She needed a shield and liked the "decorative" effect. After she received a custom shield as a gift, I re-installed mine back on the RM. Mostly, because I like it. With the cat gutted and a dyno tune the 111 runs much cooler. I am not worried about my inner thigh or the motor over heating at this point.

If I were doing it all again, I would just "gut the cat" or get one of the cross-over exhaust manifolds as it took several tunes from Dynojet (CraigB) to get rid of the popping on deceleration.

As an observation, while I like tinkering with things, I don't think you should have to go through all this to get such an expensive bike "comfortable." And again, I acknowledge, some of you here have driven thousands of miles on your Indian without any modifications. My guess is you may not live in hot climates.

As to the "Jugs" cooling fans, I have seen them up close. They appear to be designed to keep the cylinders cool. Not the driver's leg.

@OceanBreeze don't be dissuaded from buying an Indian if you want one. They are COOL and I love my Roadmaster. I just have to tweak things, it is my nature.

Reactions: RedRM

·
Registered
79 Posts
Corbin’s are so snug there’s truly no space between the seat and bike frame, whereas with a standard factory seat there is. Wetting and modification doesn’t work; only brute force strength (i.e., body weight) does the trick. I learned this from another forum member. Line up where the seat is resting just before where it latches, sit on the seat, and move it forward with your butt. It took a number of awkward tries, but it finally latched into place. If I ever get another Corbin, think I’ll see if they can do a special order or modification so I don’t have to go through that again.
Ultimate has worked directly with Captain Itch to make sure that they fit right together.

·
Rider
1,294 Posts
Looks nice. Love that arrowhead. I bought my CC from my dealership. They even put it on for me. I took it apart and added the studs myself then I had to re stich it. Took a lot longer than I expected. But they didn't have one with studs at the time. Now it matches my seat. And I got some experience and appreciation for hand sticking. Lol View attachment 629571
Yours looks good, too.

BD

21 - 40 of 42 Posts