Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After too many uncomfortable rides on my SF due to the heat projecting onto my right inner thigh, I ordered and installed a Captain Itch Crotch Cooler (heat shield) and boy am I glad I did. I rode for several hours today and not so much as a hint of heat. The customer service from Itch was excellent and I'm very happy with the quality of the product.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have one to on my Chieftain. It’s pretty much a necessity. The TS is a rock solid engine, but the heat is brutal. The crotch cooler completely solves the problem. Be ready for a struggle putting it on, though, if you ever get a Corbin seat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello,
I also like this product very much.
I keep asking myself the question:
where does the heat of the engine go, I'm afraid of overheating of the rear cylinder.
Are there any experiences?
Thank you for the info in advance

greeting MacLeod

Reactions: TerryJ

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hello,
where does the heat of the engine go, I'm afraid of overheating of the rear cylinder.

greeting MacLeod
There was ONE thread on the forum about a rider who's rear cylinder suffered heat damage, and the warranty claim was denied due to a CICC being installed. That is the only one that I have heard of. I ran a CICC for awhile, but after I had the cat deleted I found that I really didn't need it anymore.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello,

greeting MacLeod
heat is in the cylinder. Simple physics

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
I have one to on my Chieftain. It’s pretty much a necessity. The TS is a rock solid engine, but the heat is brutal. The crotch cooler completely solves the problem. Be ready for a struggle putting it on, though, if you ever get a Corbin seat.
I had trouble getting it installed with the factory seat on my RM. With much fear I took a box cutter and trimmed out the "window' to get a better fit. After owning it for some time and installing one on another bike, I suggest wetting the leather. Nearly soaking, the area that needs to mould around the frame where the seat latches -- not the whole thing. Get it plyable, form the leather and install the seat. Go ride enough to dry the leather. After that, it is easy off, easy on.

Oh. Corbin seats use a different latching method. Hence, the CC may not work with them. Or may require modifications.

Reactions: Erratikmind

·
Rider
1,153 Posts
True blocking off the engine heat to the thighs and junk does do its job however you are blocking off the heat that it cant cool off so its creating other problems
The motor was not intended to have half of the rear cylinder covered

·
Registered
241 Posts
heat is in the cylinder. Simple physics
Heat is indeed in the cylinder, created by the explosions of gasoline and air mixture. But physics also dictates that heat needs to be removed from said cylinder or damage will ensue. More airflow generally equals better heat transfer coefficient.
At speed there is still likely plenty of airflow across the cylinder, but that's not really when you reap the benefits of the crotch cooler. The benefit comes when the bike is at a stand still in traffic, or at a light or something. But that is also when there are large leather flaps that are trapping heat around the rear cylinder. They would have to be trapping it, which is why it is cooler on your legs. If it wasn't trapping the heat, you would be feeling that escaping heat and the crotch cooler would be pointless. If the heat is being trapped around the cylinder, what kind of damage is that heat causing to the components of the cylinder head?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had trouble getting it installed with the factory seat on my RM. With much fear I took a box cutter and trimmed out the "window' to get a better fit. After owning it for some time and installing one on another bike, I suggest wetting the leather. Nearly soaking, the area that needs to mould around the frame where the seat latches -- not the whole thing. Get it plyable, form the leather and install the seat. Go ride enough to dry the leather. After that, it is easy off, easy on.

Oh. Corbin seats use a different latching method. Hence, the CC may not work with them. Or may require modifications.
Corbin’s are so snug there’s truly no space between the seat and bike frame, whereas with a standard factory seat there is. Wetting and modification doesn’t work; only brute force strength (i.e., body weight) does the trick. I learned this from another forum member. Line up where the seat is resting just before where it latches, sit on the seat, and move it forward with your butt. It took a number of awkward tries, but it finally latched into place. If I ever get another Corbin, think I’ll see if they can do a special order or modification so I don’t have to go through that again.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Heat is indeed in the cylinder, created by the explosions of gasoline and air mixture. But physics also dictates that heat needs to be removed from said cylinder or damage will ensue. More airflow generally equals better heat transfer coefficient.
At speed there is still likely plenty of airflow across the cylinder, but that's not really when you reap the benefits of the crotch cooler. The benefit comes when the bike is at a stand still in traffic, or at a light or something. But that is also when there are large leather flaps that are trapping heat around the rear cylinder. They would have to be trapping it, which is why it is cooler on your legs. If it wasn't trapping the heat, you would be feeling that escaping heat and the crotch cooler would be pointless. If the heat is being trapped around the cylinder, what kind of damage is that heat causing to the components of the cylinder head?
I wanna say CraigB addressed this issue on another thread and stated the trapped heat wasn’t enough to cause any damage. I know this topic has been discussed before.

·
Rider
1,153 Posts
Corbin seats do fit like a glove and being able to jamb a 3/16 thick wedge of leather between the seat and tank/ frame means its not a good fit.
asking corbin to modify it to work with the leather is a great objective to present to them when they make your seat

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,602 Posts
This the rear piston I pulled out of my bike

This is the front piston

this is from a 111 with 53k on it. Most of that with Jackpot headers and a custom Fuelmoto tune. Not running a crotch cooler. You can see just how much heat the rear cylinder is dealing with. Now imagine a stock bike running a factory EPA tune, cat in tact and adding a crotch cooler to that. I can't imagine how much more heat the act jug is dealing with. You guys can do whatever you want but I hold on to my bikes for a long time. There is no way on a full dresser bike like a RM that I am putting one of those things on my bike. Dean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Just in from a ride after installing the Captain Itch heat shield. Out here in the desert, it made a huge difference with respect to the amount of felt heat or lack of.

·
Rider
1,281 Posts
This the rear piston I pulled out of my bike
View attachment 629247

This is the front piston
View attachment 629249

this is from a 111 with 53k on it. Most of that with Jackpot headers and a custom Fuelmoto tune. Not running a crotch cooler. You can see just how much heat the rear cylinder is dealing with. Now imagine a stock bike running a factory EPA tune, cat in tact and adding a crotch cooler to that. I can't imagine how much more heat the act jug is dealing with. You guys can do whatever you want but I hold on to my bikes for a long time. There is no way on a full dresser bike like a RM that I am putting one of those things on my bike. Dean
Hey @Dean E, I understand where you're coming from. I just know that there are thousands of TS riders who have put hundreds of thousands of miles on their bikes with the Capt. Itch and have suffered no breakdowns.

I tend to hold onto my bike for a while, too. Good new is, even though my DH Chieftain is three years older than yours, still has the cat (I'll get rid of it someday), and the factory tune . . . I have not felt the need to pull my pistons out of it.

We will both, I'm sure, do what we each feel is best for out bikes and ourselves.

Ride Safe ! ! !

BD

Reactions: Jrock126

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey @Dean E, I understand where you're coming from. I just know that there are thousands of TS riders who have put hundreds of thousands of miles on their bikes with the Capt. Itch and have suffered no breakdowns.

I tend to hold onto my bike for a while, too. Good new is, even though my DH Chieftain is three years older than yours, still has the cat (I'll get rid of it someday), and the factory tune . . . I have not felt the need to pull my pistons out of it.

We will both, I'm sure, do what we each feel is best for out bikes and ourselves.

Ride Safe ! ! !

BD
BD,
How many miles are on your bike now? And how many of those miles are with the Capt Itch? I also hold onto my bikes for a long time, and I have been nervous about getting a Capt Itch.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can't wait to hear y'all crying about heat on new chief. Those itchy crotch things make rider look like idiot. Oh look he covered half cylinder up because his air cooled engine gets hot. Amazing

1 - 20 of 42 Posts