Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Finally after months of waiting and weekly starting of our new Indian Vintage We finally can get out of the driveway and the bike won't start!!? It only has 3 miles on it!! The readout for the voltage shows a constant 11+ but it will not fire up just faint clicking from the starter. Hooked up a battery charger to the battery and voltage output increased to 13+ but still no start just random empty clicks from the starter. Anyone else have similar problems?

·
Founding Member
431 Posts
I'd keep the charger on it over night to see is a low battery is the culprit. I know my Victory bikes do not like a low battery and I'd guess that my Indian would be the same.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Often the battery sitting and not recharged, 11v. The ECU will not fire the coils. trickle charger is best for bikes that sit all winter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bare in mind that just running it once a week over the winter won't do it . you should be looking at 12.3 volts or so. Try to trickel it once a week. a low battery puts more strain on the rest of the electrical system. It takes the alternator a long time to replace the energy cranking the engine uses. We are talking a long ride. I try to trickel my bikes once a week with a float charger, even during riding season.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Battery is weak... could be charge capacity... could be connectors need tightening.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Small batteries don't have much capacity, no battery tolerates going dead and recharging well. New engine may be tight, cold oil may be thick. Nice to have a kick-starter like on my '48 but lack of electric starter is no fun either. I would use a Battery Minder smart trickle charger and leave it on continuously unless you ride daily for some distance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pretty common issue for any modern vehicle that had to sit for a while. Buy a battery tender/maintainer and leave it hooked up when ever the bike sits for more than a week at a time. Frustrating, I know but with all the modern electrics, there is a constant drain on the battery when it is sitting.
EASY

·
Registered
130 Posts
Put a trickle charger on my bike during winter storage. From nov to about 2 weeks ago

When i picked up the bike from storage, disconnected the trickle charger, and the bike started right up

been riding for a few days now, and all is working fine.

on a side note: watch out that the bike wont start/run if the kick stand is fully down and bike is not in neutral.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I was out of town for about two weeks. When I got home my vintage did the same thing. I put my charger on it, but until the battery got up to around 14 volts it wouldn't start. Once it charged back up I haven't had any further problems. Now I keep a solar charger on it when it is not being ridden, no further problems. Had to do the same thing with my later model Harleys that were fuel injection, believe the e.c.m. requires a certain amount of voltage before they will start. I know better, should have had the charger on it before I left home.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
#37 wouldn't start yesterday, was ridden Monday before. The on button worked, fuel pump pumped but headlight wouldn't come on and gear selector had a line --- instead of a number or N, no crank at all regardless if in N, kickstand down/up, clutch pulled in or not.

The key fob was sitting on a chair in the garage for 10 min prior to me getting on, it was cold to the touch. Put it between my hands for a minute and breathed on it.....boom, the headlight came on and I got a N on the readout, hit the starter button and the 111 roared to life.

·
Registered
497 Posts
All the Fob testing must have been done with it in the pocket of the tester :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Do "Jump Starts" work on the modern Indians?

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I would say "yes" if you have a low battery condition, however if your key fob and security system are not communicating a jump will not help.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,047 Posts
Afternoon,
The main thing you have to be careful about when jumping ECM-equipped vehicles is not reversing the polarity; hook it up backwards and you'll smoke the ECM.
--- Randall

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've jumped plenty of bikes with Electronic Controllers (mostly HDs) with my Antigravity Charge pack -- zero problems. As Randall points out the only issue is if you hook it up wrong.

Reactions: Pegg696

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
Buy a Battery Tender Jr, Connect included the fused link to the battery. Keep the Tender Jr. plugged into the bike when you are not riding, I keep them on all my bikes when not riding, battery will always be at full charge and as a bonus your battery will last many years longer. The Jr. is all you will need and they are very inexpensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts