Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

From what I came across online most rear stands work with the FTR. Got some 8mm spools and an Oxford Big Black rear stand. I'm on my own and have done this plenty of times with other bikes. This one doesn't want to go up and I'm putting in some force. I'm guessing the height of it from setup is reducing leverage, got the V adapters pointing upwards. There's a lack of stand options right now. Any advice, anyone got this one to work or is Pit Bull the way to go with the FTR?

I had ordered a different one online but it showed up with the wrong parts. Got this popular one today locally. Thx!

·
Silver member
5,510 Posts
This one doesn't want to go up and I'm putting in some force. I'm guessing the height of it from setup is reducing leverage, got the V adapters pointing upwards.
I have the same "problem", requires a lot of weight pushing down. I often use an aluminium rod through the rear axle instead of the two V adapters (cleaning, lubing the chain).

(And it's even worse on my 170lbs lighter bike which has a 17" rear wheel).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the quick replies! Most stands are similar so I was surprised with the force I was putting on there it wasn't going up. Didn't figure I lost THAT much strength this winter. Glad to see it's not just me. I'm eyeing the Abba stand, it'll work better solo. I have a similar but smaller one for my Griso and that's simple to use. Fingers crossed third time will do it :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Curious though those with Pit Bull stands do you have to muscle it pretty good or does it work easier? With the stand I have now that much force means more possible instability IMO.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’ve got the $35 Amazon ones and love them, only issue I’ve encountered is with the arms spaced as wide as they go it still sits against the very inboard lip of the spools on both sides.

·
Rider
1,338 Posts
+ 1 For Harbor Freight although it was re-branded. Having a rack helps as it gets you the right leverage. One hand holds the rack and the other simply pushes the stand downwards.

·
Registered
2019 FTR1200S
59 Posts
I bought the Oxford Premium paddock stand to work with M8 bobbins and it seems to work fine, though it’s the first time I’ve used a paddock stand, it’s a little unnerving. I then found that, although not listed, the kit 20 from Abba allowed me to use my Abba superbike stand with the FTR and that is far easier to use.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a Trackside stand and while it’s overall finish leaves a bit to be desired it works fine for lifting the FTR and it’s “universal” in that it has V’s for spools or you can flip them to pads for lifting forks. The handle also slides in and out so it isn’t sticking out all the time. I got it cheap on sale on revzilla.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the advice. While returning the Oxford stand I compared it to the Pit Bull. The adapter to wheel length is shorter on the Pit Bull. I take it stands like that would make it easier to get under and lift it. My garage is slippery so I wasn't comfortable with it. I'm in contact with Abba and will be placing an order shortly. After some thinking I'm done with rear stands, when possible. Most of us have had those oh sh!t moments. It's good that cheaper ones work for most. I like what Abba offers for peace of mind and with a jack there's no need for a front stand. So there's value there. STG has a video on the low quality of many of the stands out there. I've had one bend a bit. Just make sure not to sit on them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Curious though those with Pit Bull stands do you have to muscle it pretty good or does it work easier? With the stand I have now that much force means more possible instability IMO.
Piece of cake with the Pit Bull.... My problem was with a Triumph TFC Bobber that has very low spoils.... Took 2 people to lever the thing up.... Then I found out that Pit Bull makes a 33" extension handle that just replaces the short removable handle.... Makes things real easy....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yeah, Pit Bull is the only brand I'll use too. I've found others to be flimsy and harder to use. I've got no problem lifting the rear with my spools on the Pit Bull, and the front lifts as well under the fork legs with their front stand.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah, Pit Bull is the only brand I'll use too. I've found others to be flimsy and harder to use. I've got no problem lifting the rear with my spools on the Pit Bull, and the front lifts as well under the fork legs with their front stand.
Totally agree.... Pit Bull is in the business.... I have the dual front stand.... Will lift by the fork legs or the tree.... Fantastic piece of engineering....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts