Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
Does this means we can do whatever we want on the 12V connections, like adding more LED lights, change the horn ? What tolerance is there to add something LED's on a circuit, like for example the stop light ?
Absolutely not. The fact that it's not standard ODB2 simply means that you can't order a cheap ODB2 Gizmo on eBay, hook it up, and diagnose the bike, like you can with a car

Any lights that are replaced need to have the same resistance value as the one that's being replaced.

Slightly off topic tidbit about the Chief models (may be the same with the scout too): If your headlight low beam burns out, the computer recognizes this and uses the high beam at a lower voltage to simulate a low beam.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,560 Posts
Absolutely not. The fact that it's not standard ODB2 simply means that you can't order a cheap ODB2 Gizmo on eBay, hook it up, and diagnose the bike, like you can with a car

Any lights that are replaced need to have the same resistance value as the one that's being replaced.

Slightly off topic tidbit about the Chief models (may be the same with the scout too): If your headlight low beam burns out, the computer recognizes this and uses the high beam at a lower voltage to simulate a low beam.
Many guys who own Chieftains have taken out the standard headlight and put in an LED version with no ill effects on the bike. Dean

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chief, "Adeline"
223 Posts
Dredging this back up rather than creating a new thread since it's kinda related...

Has anyone done any CAN bus sniffing on the Indians, or come across data frame references?

·
Registered
2022 Chief Dark Horse
19 Posts
Perhaps some knowledgeable electric gearheads can provide some guidance on how to add some fog lights without blowing the system. I've always added lights front and back for conspicuity, but have never had to deal with a CANBUS system, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CANbus has nothing to go with lights. It's a communication protocol for controllers to talk to each other. As long as you don't cut into the CAN wires your CAN bus will be fine. The controllers are the complements that have error detection capabilities and may display fault codes on the CAN bus if they detect changes to their input/output limits.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Perhaps some knowledgeable electric gearheads can provide some guidance on how to add some fog lights without blowing the system. I've always added lights front and back for conspicuity, but have never had to deal with a CANBUS system, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
For the rear, look closely at pre-wired packages like Custom Dynamics. They are plug and play. No issues.
I can't speak to the fog lights, my RM already has driving light. :)

·
Registered
2022 Chief Dark Horse
19 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys.
Just to clarify, before I screw up something that will cost too much to fix, it's safer to use a Custom Dynamics package (I've been looking at those) than to tap into existing power lines?
On the new Chief, the tail lights contain running/braking/turn signal functions in the tail lights. I would like to add a small red light that will flash a few times when the brakes are applied, but I don't want to affect the standard functions of the tail lights. If I add that extra rear light, but Posi-tap into the power for the brake light, then a fault code would be thrown and the brake lights would not function correctly? Is that right or am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys.
Just to clarify, before I screw up something that will cost too much to fix, it's safer to use a Custom Dynamics package (I've been looking at those) than to tap into existing power lines?
On the new Chief, the tail lights contain running/braking/turn signal functions in the tail lights. I would like to add a small red light that will flash a few times when the brakes are applied, but I don't want to affect the standard functions of the tail lights. If I add that extra rear light, but Posi-tap into the power for the brake light, then a fault code would be thrown and the brake lights would not function correctly? Is that right or am I wrong?
Buy the Triple Play unit from Custom Dynamics.

Reactions: PeacePipe
1 - 16 of 16 Posts