Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read that there is virtually no performance difference between the stock mufflers with the plugs removed vs. the Indian Stage-1 slip-on mufflers. This got me wondering if it is possible to "remove the plugs" (open up the air flow) on the stock air intake so it performs the same as a Stage-1 high-flow air intake.

Since the Indian Stage-1 air intake uses the same throttle-body as the stock intake and filter surfaces are about the same, the only difference is the amount of air the can flow into the intake and through the filter.

I drilled multiple 1" holes through the back of the stock air filter plate (outside of the filter of course) without impacting the structural integrity of the back plate. I estimate it now will allow more air to flow to the filter than can possibly go through the throttle-body.

Is there any difference (other than $500+ and a different look) in the performance of my modified stock air intake vs. either Indian Stage-1 Air Intake?

Saving $1,000 on Stage-1 slip-on mufflers makes a lot of sense. I'd like to also save over $500 on Stage-1 Air Intake if that works too.

Has anyone tested this on a dyno? Are you aware of any reason this would not work?

·
Rider
620 Posts
It's been posted tons of times before that you aren't going to get THAT much of a performance increase out of air and mufflers/headers. You'll get more change out of a tuner than you will the rest of it since the bike is pretty neautrered stock so it can sit in the emissions club.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, If you don't have an unlimited budget, maximizing the air-flow and exhaust at the lowest cost and using what budget you have to in PV-3 and custom tune, which is probably the best/most cost effective way to maximize performance.

·
Bronze member
2,765 Posts
Punch your plugs and do-up complementary induction improvements, on the stock Polaris tune, and you'll get power improvement during WOT operations.The stock tune has quite rich fueling at WOT and will benefit from additional air and gas flow.

Stock tune fueling during closed loop operations is targeted at 14.7, open loop as low as 12.17 !

No one has shown the dyno data on such mods, at least in here. If your mods have good dynobutt results, spend the $50 - $100 for a Dyno chart (power AND AFR charting) ...

Reactions: Silverback

·
Bronze member
1,242 Posts
Put a K&N filter in the stock "bedpan" and it'll flow at least as well or better than the Stage 1 unit. I've done both and the only reason that I'm still running the Stage 1 airbox is because it's prettier.

Stage 1 airbox.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts