Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the answer to this question, but after reading countless posts on not blipping a throttle on a Victory, I thought I'd ask others if Indian throttles can be blipped without causing problems?

Comments?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
TBW will dampen the inputs and prevent the throttle bodies from slamming shut so 'blipping' the throttle should not be an issue.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the issue of killing the engine when the throttle is 'Blipped' is apparently random. I have a 2012 8-Ball and I have always been able to blip the throttle and downshift to any gear without killing the engine. This was true when it was stock for 1500 miles and now that I have modified it with Hacker Rippers, Lloydz VFC III, IAV, and ATS. My bud has a totally stock 2013 and he can neither blip the throttle or downshift below 3rd gear (and release the clutch) unless he is at a full stop. We have talked with the mechanic at our dealer and apparently this is a random issue probably related to how lean the bikes are running to comply with EPA> Vic had no answers for a solution other than do not downshift.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
on one of my test rides a pretty lady happened to be walking down the sidewalk so not being acustomed to riding a bike that sounds ( badass )
this one had the stage one package. i decided to try and get her attention so i pulled in the clutch and revvvved that babe u a couple of times,,, well it worked . she turned to look and i got a good look. 10 seconds later the check engine light comes on. i'm thinkin wtf
? should i pull over ? ahhh,,, we only had about 2 miles to go and the display was hard to see in the sunlight so i figure i'll just play dumb. i made it back safe, explained to the group leader the issue. he tells me its been happening on and off all day to some of the bikes. factory rep told them to check the oil and if everything else seems normal , just ride it ! probably just a coincidence with the throttle blip ? who knows, just thought i'd share my experience.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Any bike CAN be blipped but it serves no purpose on a modern fuel injected motor. Anyone looking for attention by revving their motor at a stop light should buy a Harley as their fans will look at them with admiration. Everyone else laughs at blippers and assumes they're trying to compensate for a 'short' coming.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
labob - This is a funny topic unless you are a none motorcycle person. For anyone that has ridden a HD B motor, during hard deceleration the motor 'surges if you will' right as the rpms settle while stopping. A small bite of throttle just before the surge will cancel that affect. As for the Blipping of the throttle at any other time(s)...comical to say the least. Watched a group of four leave a HD dealership one morning. As the service writter said watch this group leave, they do this all the time. We all could not stop laughing it was so rediculous.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
2 said:
I don't have the answer to this question, but after reading countless posts on not blipping a throttle on a Victory, I thought I'd ask others if Indian throttles can be blipped without causing problems?

Comments?
Trying to create the next over reaction thread?

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
bikebob - thanks for a great laugh this morning...

I do know a rider that can not resist the 'underpass blip.' A moment to magnify that sound can't be lost.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
urban dicitionary has enlightened and surprised me on many occasions but i will not be seeing what 'blip the indian' really means :p

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
2962 said:
Trying to create the next over reaction thread?
Nope! With all the conversations on how Victory's don't like to be 'blipped,' it was just an honest question. Since I've never claimed to know the inner workings of a V-Twin engine, I just thought I'd ask.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I can't help but notice that there are many varying notions of what 'Blipping' the throttle means. My understanding has always been that Blipping the throttle is a quick flick to raise the revs on the engine for smooth down shiffting. I have always done this on every type of machine, motorcycle or car, with a manual transmission. It is proper technique. Not a 'look at me' rev at the red light.
That being said, I have had a couple of instances on my XC where I managed to stall the engine with a quick blip. I noticed however that it was only an issue when I blipped the throttle at around 1800 revs or below? So I adapted my technique by reving more slowly and it seemed to take care of the issue. I am happy to report though that since adding Lloyds' ATS wheel, the symptom has all but disappeared. I am able to down shift into the lower gears, even first, smoothly, quetly and without drama, by blipping the throttle at anything over idle.
Very Happy
PS: Not really interested in Blipping Indians, I don't see anyone riding them aggressivley. JMHO.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
11074 said:
PS: Not really interested in Blipping Indians, I don't see anyone riding them aggressivley. JMHO.
Now Now lets behave like gentlemen here!!!! Control your emotions there Sire.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
It was a light hearted comment, not to stop the thread!!!!!Carry on ye Fine conneseours of fine motorcycle products!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
4902 said:
Any bike CAN be blipped but it serves no purpose on a modern fuel injected motor. Anyone looking for attention by revving their motor at a stop light should buy a Harley as their fans will look at them with admiration. Everyone else laughs at blippers and assumes they're trying to compensate for a 'short' coming.
iabob-unless your definition is different than mine, it is definitely needed during hard downshifting unles you appreciate hard jerky motion, but in twistys that is the last thing that I want to feel. Ever race a car or bike? If you dont match the engine to transmission speed you are not going to do very well.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
I blip my XC with the modded pipes at intersections and stoplights, so the cagers on the cell phones can know I am there!

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
If Indian is aiming to take HD riders, they had better be able to blip the throttle agressively and often. Otherwise, the converts will all scramble back to their Har(d)leys!

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
2 said:
Nope! With all the conversations on how Victory's don't like to be 'blipped,' it was just an honest question. Since I've never claimed to know the inner workings of a V-Twin engine, I just thought I'd ask.
I have had 3 vics a Judge cannot blip would die, then a XC did some mods PVC and cams etc, No problem, now my XR LE runs perfect no blipping issues, so I tend to agree its random on the Vics.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Just to settle any confusion...
There was a time when being gay meant you were happy and in a good mood. Being gay means something very different today. There was a time when 'blipping the throttle' was the term used to describe rev matching during downshifts. Not so anymore. I know some of us (you) still call it that, my Dad still calls the accelerator pedal on his car a 'foot-feet'. Today 'blipping the throttle' is what guys do at stop lights or backing their bike up to the curb in front of the bar. Also at one time carbureted bikes out of adjustment (frequently) needed blipping at idle to keep from dying. This is just a guess, but I think this is where current blipping at stoplights comes from. Guys got some loud pipes, they sound cool, they blip. This modern day definition of throttle blipping is what serves no purpose other than giving pleasure to the blipper for the sounds he's making. Jerk off the throttle...get pleasure.
If you're doing it to shift smoother you are rev matching.
IMO naturally.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts