Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the OEM trunk on my chieftain. Does anyone know if the Indian lock cylinder can be rekeyed by a locksmith? I can get a lock set from Indian on cheap cycle parts for 170 bucks. Not a big deal but it would be nice to have just one key.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,846 Posts
Just buy a lock pick set. I see people in the movies open locks in seconds all the time. It must be real easy.

·
Bronze member
4,677 Posts
A mate was having trouble with his trunk lock and another mate sorted it by tightening up the inner locating bracket of the lock. From the sound of that I suspect you could easily remove the lock and a locksmith should be able to re-key it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Enzo had his done for about 20 dollars a while back according to a post I read.
I have the same problem, but in the UK.
Tried 3 good locksmiths here last month, and they were not interested.
I would even consider posting mine to America to get done.
Would be cheaper than buying a new lick set. There around £150 here.
It’s not an easy job like it is on the BMW Pannier locks. Recoded about 50 of those.
The Indian pannier locks not designed to be taken apart.

free pic upload

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, just to clarify. I’m not having any problems with the locks. They just don’t match. I have a chieftain and I bought the Indian tour pack. Which came with it’s own key. So the saddlebag and fork locks don’t match the trunk key. It’s not a big deal with the power locks. I would like to have them all use the same key. I just don’t want to spend 200 bucks for a whole new lock set to accomplish that goal.
Honestly considering what the tour pack costs. Indian should include a new set of locks with the trunk.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’m in the process of getting this done myself. Went to one locksmith yesterday and he said he can’t do it. Going to try a few more. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would be nice if it could be done for a reasonable price. Honestly for what the trunk costs they should include a lock kit for the bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Went to a second locksmith yesterday. He said the original key is cut the opposite way of the new cylinder. I would have to get a new cylinder that matches the cut of the original. Too much of a hassle. I’m just glad I just push a button and all the locks on the motorcycle open and close. Not worth it
The first locksmith said it couldn’t be done but he didn’t get into detail as the second locksmith.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In that case I’ll just carry both keys in case the power locks ever mess up. So really the only option if I want them to match is to buy a whole lock set. Bummer

·
Rider
383 Posts
IMG_2933.jpg I thought about having the trunk lock rekeyed...very briefly....until I realized how much I use the key....which is never

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thanks guys, just to clarify. I’m not having any problems with the locks. They just don’t match. I have a chieftain and I bought the Indian tour pack. Which came with it’s own key. So the saddlebag and fork locks don’t match the trunk key. It’s not a big deal with the power locks. I would like to have them all use the same key. I just don’t want to spend 200 bucks for a whole new lock set to accomplish that goal.
Honestly considering what the tour pack costs. Indian should include a new set of locks with the trunk.
Would make to much sense and not enough profit if they included the matching lock sets with the tour pack kit. If I had it dealer installed I would insist they all be keyed alike.

·
Bronze member
4,677 Posts
In that case I’ll just carry both keys in case the power locks ever mess up. So really the only option if I want them to match is to buy a whole lock set. Bummer
The answer to the 'one key' thing is to choose one key to carry with the fob in case of emergency. Choose the saddlebag key as that one does the steering. Then you tape the trunk key inside one bag where you can get it if the power locks fail.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I couldn't find any locksmiths willing to take the saddlebag locks apart so I decided to try it myself. The cap is held on by the rolled edge or crimped end. My cap actually spun in place. I cut the crimp end off using a lathe. Next I pushed out the brass pin and gently tapped this end. This pushed the tumbler against the cap, causing the cap to slide off. The tumbler has wafers instead of pins. I brought the tumbler to the locksmith and they were able to rekey it. I tapped the cap back on using a rubber mallet and put the brass pin back in. I secured the cap in place with a few drops of super glue (on the end I cut). Joe

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts