Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip to Colorado next week to do 5 days of nothing but riding. Here is the problems I am having:
*Tried to update my software and maps to my 2018 Roadmaster. Maps will not update. Call Customer service they tell me it is a known issue and they are gathering info on it to send to the company that built it. I was told I would receive an email with information and instructions on how to send my issue along. Never received it/ maps will not update. FYI This update came out Dec 2019, so I am not holding my breath.
*My ride command app will not transfer routes to my bike. I do not have the icon to transfer routes from my app on my phone to the bike via bluetooth.
*When I transfer rides to my bike via thumbdrive all the rides are changed to start from my home state, not the starting and ending point I created them as.
*I called to ask indian about route planning last winter. Noone knew how to do it according to the lady that answered. I have been going by trial and error and youtube videos from other riders.
*My ride command will not pair with my bbike so I can see vehicle data. I entered Warranty info and vin, so my bike shows up. but that is all it seems to do.

It is just frustrating to run into roadblocks. Anyone know how to correct the routes on the bike besides adding a ton of waypoints?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well Dan, I'm glad you are headed to this fine state of ours. I have a 2015 chieftain so I have to navigate the old fashioned way. You can pick up a map at the welcome center in Julesburg if you are coming in on I-76. I recommend it anyway since traveling in the mountains will result in loss of cell signals for long periods of time. Not sure if the Nav system on the new bikes needs cell service or not but something to consider. Also massive changes in elevation and terrain make traveling in Colorado....challenging at times; no straight roads in the mountains. Also bring water with you and stay hydrated. Elevation sickness is a pain and can lead to lightheadedness. Todays relative humidity is 15%. Wind gusts at the peaks can be as high as 80mph on some days and 60mph is common here in Teller County.
Mountain driving can be summed up in this way; left, right, up, down and lots of rocks. 35 mph is average speed in the mountains so plan for longer ride times. Also keep your eyes on the road; lot's of stunning scenery but no shoulders and steep drop offs.
Now, if you've read this far I will give you a great destination to go to; The Bucksnort Saloon in Sphinx Park. The food is OK but the atmosphere is one of a kind. I would suggest eating a Zokas in Pine; just a mile or two south of the Bucksnort.
Enjoy, P.

·
Bronze member
3,940 Posts
I am planning a trip to Colorado next week to do 5 days of nothing but riding. Here is the problems I am having:
*Tried to update my software and maps to my 2018 Roadmaster. Maps will not update. Call Customer service they tell me it is a known issue and they are gathering info on it to send to the company that built it. I was told I would receive an email with information and instructions on how to send my issue along. Never received it/ maps will not update. FYI This update came out Dec 2019, so I am not holding my breath.
*My ride command app will not transfer routes to my bike. I do not have the icon to transfer routes from my app on my phone to the bike via bluetooth.
*When I transfer rides to my bike via thumbdrive all the rides are changed to start from my home state, not the starting and ending point I created them as.
*I called to ask indian about route planning last winter. Noone knew how to do it according to the lady that answered. I have been going by trial and error and youtube videos from other riders.
*My ride command will not pair with my bbike so I can see vehicle data. I entered Warranty info and vin, so my bike shows up. but that is all it seems to do.

It is just frustrating to run into roadblocks. Anyone know how to correct the routes on the bike besides adding a ton of waypoints?

Thanks,

Dan

Get a Sandisk 32GB USB flash drive. Then format it to Fat32 file format. This is a older format but is commonly still used in many infotainment systems. Most USB drives today come formatted in the new file format of ExFat.

Once you have the new USB drive:

1. Format it to FAT32
2. Down load the head unit software and install it.
3. Take that same USB drive and re-format it again
4.Connect it to the bike to get the "map thumprint"
5. Connect it to your PC and launch the map updater.
6. Then Install maps on your bike.

The ride command units are very finiky with USB drives, and the above procedure has worked for many having the same problems as you, and myself.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
Get a Sandisk 32GB USB flash drive. Then format it to Fat32 file format. This is a older format but is commonly still used in many infotainment systems. Most USB drives today come formatted in the new file format of ExFat.

1. Format it to FAT32

The ride command units are very finiky with USB drives, and the above procedure has worked for many having the same problems as you, and myself.
Dang! All that for going on a ride!!! I’ll stick with my HHM ( hand held map). 🤪

·
4,503 Posts
Once you have done that, then the app will work seamlessly tot he Ride Command, so pretty easy.
Me being very computer illiterate makes doing that a bridge too far. Unlike many I like the old simple ways on my bikes. On my cars I don't mind the tech. I bet it does come in handy though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Dan, I'm glad you are headed to this fine state of ours. I have a 2015 chieftain so I have to navigate the old fashioned way. You can pick up a map at the welcome center in Julesburg if you are coming in on I-76. I recommend it anyway since traveling in the mountains will result in loss of cell signals for long periods of time. Not sure if the Nav system on the new bikes needs cell service or not but something to consider. Also massive changes in elevation and terrain make traveling in Colorado....challenging at times; no straight roads in the mountains. Also bring water with you and stay hydrated. Elevation sickness is a pain and can lead to lightheadedness. Todays relative humidity is 15%. Wind gusts at the peaks can be as high as 80mph on some days and 60mph is common here in Teller County.
Mountain driving can be summed up in this way; left, right, up, down and lots of rocks. 35 mph is average speed in the mountains so plan for longer ride times. Also keep your eyes on the road; lot's of stunning scenery but no shoulders and steep drop offs.
Now, if you've read this far I will give you a great destination to go to; The Bucksnort Saloon in Sphinx Park. The food is OK but the atmosphere is one of a kind. I would suggest eating a Zokas in Pine; just a mile or two south of the Bucksnort.
Enjoy, P.
Thanks for the reply and info. Believe it or not I didn't even think of getting a map. Good idea. My wife had me start taking aspirin for the altitude change. I guess it is supposed to help. I had no idea the wind got that strong, but it makes sense. I'm going to google what a Zokas is now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

1. Format it to FAT32

Wow. I can try that. Thanks. I am surprised indian didn't tell me about this fix. But now that I think about it I guess I am not surprised at all that they didn't tell me this.
Thanks for letting me know this.

·
Bronze member
3,940 Posts
Wow. I can try that. Thanks. I am surprised indian didn't tell me about this fix. But now that I think about it I guess I am not surprised at all that they didn't tell me this.
Thanks for letting me know this.

The 2019 and prior Ride command software is made from a company in Poland. Indian doesn't even know how to fix it.

The above procedure was discovered by trial and error a couple of years ago by owners and some computer guru guys.. What the issue is is that when you use a USB drive to install items on the ride command, the installation extraction is done on the USB drive sometimes corrupting it.

What always seem to work consistently, was to always start with a freshly formatted USB drive. The issue is Windows 10 does not give you the option to format using Fat32 anymore, at least not easily. FAT32 is an old file format that came out with windows 95 and because the de-facto file format. FAT32 is not efficient for larger memory, thus NTFS and ExFat are used.

The problem is the industry that makes infotainment systems and other digital media systems still use Fat32. The problem is most of the larger USB drives 64GB and larger are formatted by default to ExFAT which is not compatible with a FAT32 device.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 2019 and prior Ride command software is made from a company in Poland. Indian doesn't even know how to fix it.

The above procedure was discovered by trial and error a couple of years ago by owners and some computer guru guys.. What the issue is is that when you use a USB drive to install items on the ride command, the installation extraction is done on the USB drive sometimes corrupting it.

What always seem to work consistently, was to always start with a freshly formatted USB drive. The issue is Windows 10 does not give you the option to format using Fat32 anymore, at least not easily. FAT32 is an old file format that came out with windows 95 and because the de-facto file format. FAT32 is not efficient for larger memory, thus NTFS and ExFat are used.

The problem is the industry that makes infotainment systems and other digital media systems still use Fat32. The problem is most of the larger USB drives 64GB and larger are formatted by default to ExFAT which is not compatible with a FAT32 device.
wow. Thanks Baron58. It's great the riding community figured this out and shared the info with us all. I do appreciate it.

Thanks again. I'll use these instructions to get my update.

·
Rider
879 Posts
Any "Live" version of Linux can do whatever formatting you wish!!!! No Need to do anything but boot Computer into Live Linux...

·
3,408 Posts
I would not go any bigger that a 32 gig Sansdisk thumb drive. I do a lot of software loading to electronic avionics systems. The Ride Command is a fairly basic system. Definitely format to the FAT32. Actually one of the best for loading software and updates are the older 8 gig Sansdisk but they are getting harder and harder to find. Sometimes lucky on Amazon or Ebay. Some of the bigger drives use a lot of data suppression for the data put onto them. This can screw up data transfers on some of these types of systems. Sansdisk are the best for data loading. I can't tell you how many times I have seen data file go invalid or not seen using anything else other than the Sansdisk. Dean

Reactions: Baron58

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would not go any bigger that a 32 gig Sansdisk thumb drive. I do a lot of software loading to electronic avionics systems. The Ride Command is a fairly basic system. Definitely format to the FAT32. Actually one of the best for loading software and updates are the older 8 gig Sansdisk but they are getting harder and harder to find. Sometimes lucky on Amazon or Ebay. Some of the bigger drives use a lot of data suppression for the data put onto them. This can screw up data transfers on some of these types of systems. Sansdisk are the best for data loading. I can't tell you how many times I have seen data file go invalid or not seen using anything else other than the Sansdisk. Dean
I have a Challenger and I reformatted 32 GB USB2 SanDisk to exFAT32 in order to load maps (file was about 23 GB) per discussion (email) with Ride Command support. Out of the package it must have had partitions preventing that file size from being loaded. I was under the impression that FAT32 was only good to 16 GB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Any "Live" version of Linux can do whatever formatting you wish!!!! No Need to do anything but boot Computer into Live Linux...
You beat me to the punch.

·
Bronze member
3,940 Posts
I have a Challenger and I reformatted 32 GB USB2 SanDisk to exFAT32 in order to load maps (file was about 23 GB) per discussion (email) with Ride Command support. Out of the package it must have had partitions preventing that file size from being loaded. I was under the impression that FAT32 was only good to 16 GB.

Anything above 32GB is usually ExFat but you can format drives with FAT32 up to 16TB. Most operating systems can't handle more than 2 TB with FAT32

·
3,408 Posts

I was going off of what others have commented already. I agree. 16 gig is what I normally limit my self to for data loading. I have of others having some success with 32g thumb drives but I personally don't go above 16 gig drives. D

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks,

Dan
hello sorry I do not have an answer for you , I was told by Polaris that they have to up date the update????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts