Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This cylinder has a chip taken out of the cylinder, but the piston goes up and down with no problem. The missing piece is at the bottom of the port and not at the top, and also isn't open when the skirt is at tdc. The cylinder is next to impossible to replace. Does anybody think I can re-use it?
DSC02275.JPG
DSC02277.JPG

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Sure. It will continue to go up and down. I don't know how well it will run, but if you have no other choice, what else are you going to do. You are asking a wide open question here. I always work on stuff so I never have to fix what I fixed again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I agree. Believe me, if I could march into the dealer and pull a new cylinder off the shelf then I would do that in a minute. But this particular bike is old and rare, and the chances of finding another cylinder are next to nothing...

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
I'd be concerned with premature ring wear, it appears the ring travel is below where the missing piece is...Yikes!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's just an old Indian on/off road bike. I can see that the rings will travel past this part of the cylinder, which stinks. Well... may have to pack the bike away until I can find a sleeve or complete cylinder :( Thanks everybody for the info.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Maybe you could look into the nikisil process used on the Indians. To bring the bore to size, it is replated, not bored.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, going to wait until I find a sleeve or a complete cylinder. If I drive it with this broken cylinder and it shatters the piston, then who knows what other damage could happen to other non-replaceable parts down in the bottom end. I have time anyway, just want to have it running by the vintage motorcycle show and also the super cruise in the spring.... :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts