Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

When I first got my Scout, my wife accidentally rested her heel on the exhaust, leaving melted rubber on it. I tried to gently scrape it off with a razor blade and that worked okay but left some remnants. To get the remnants off, I made the mistake of using ScotchBrite. Oops. So, now I have a dull spot from the ScotchBrite. My question is, can this be buffed back to a like-new shine like you can clear coat, etc. using a polishing or buffing compound?

·
Rider
768 Posts
Do NOT use razor blades! Use an ultra fine #0000 steel wool. Do NOT use a more coarse steel wool. Do NOT use Scotch Brite. Scotch Brite is made with aluminum oxide which is hard. Always use a softer material than the material that you are cleaning or else you will get scratches. You can also try using the steel wool along with Blue Magic metal polish cream. This will work to clean your pipes and remove melted gunk from the chrome without scratching it. However, if you have already dulled the shine of the chrome, you will probably never get it back.

·
Rider
1,398 Posts
Depends how deep the chromium plating is? There is always the danger of removing the plating in it's entirety when polishing out.

Reactions: Kost

·
Founding member
1,030 Posts
Caprock is spot on! Go buy a pkg. of 0000 steel wool, spray a tiny bit of water on the area, and gently ruff the area with the 0000 steel wool. You'll be amazed at how quickly and cleanly it will come off. I've used 000 steel wool and it worked very well too but since finding 0000 steel wool that is what I use. It really is amazing how easily and cleanly it comes off.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I had left some marks on my pipes from the rubber heel on my right boot,but was able to remove those marks using Plastic
Polish,or even polishing compound,plus, alittle elbow grease,and it worked.So there's something else you can try! Dave!!!

·
Rider
1,231 Posts
Everyone is correct accurate info here.
One you use scotchbrite. It is toasted.
Next time goo gone, or msybe wd-40
Sorry for the bad.

·
Rider
944 Posts
I have used 1200 grit on my windshield then progressed to plastic buffing compound and when done riding into the sun there are no visible scratches left. If plastic can be buffed so can a chrome muffler. But remember chrome is very thin so going through is a possibility. I personally would go straight to the metal polishing compound and test an area under the muffler to see how it works.

·
Bronze member
3,213 Posts
Try semi chrome if that doesn't work ,there is a trick using aluminum foil and spit.we took a 62 triumph that was a barn find,to a painter to have it redone,and he did the rims with foil and spit.man they looked like new.
Don't know the exact process as I wasn't there,bit was amazed when it came off the truck.give it a try if the semi chrome doesn't work.

·
Bronze member
1,980 Posts
Best product to remove something from your muffler is easy off oven cleaner. Warm (not hot) the pipe, spray it on, wait 15 minutes or so and wipe it off. Easy peasy and no scratches. Repeat as needed. Will not damage chrome. Done it many times.

·
Rider
944 Posts
Once you scratch into the plating, there's no buffing it back.
If you can scratch it with steel wool or sandpaper you can buff it. As long as the scratches are not through the plating and you do not buff through the plating it'll work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What I do is take a propane torch, and heat it up and use a cotton cloth and wipe it right off. Make sure to only use cotton. You also have to be a little judicial with the heat as you don't want to heat it to much to turn it blue.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have used this successfully on tar and shoe marks. Also echo using Simichrome.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,096 Posts
Never dull is awesome!
I use that and then follow up with mother's for a nice shine

1 - 20 of 45 Posts