Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Chieftain. I had 28,000 perfect miles on it, air cleaner and pipes upgraded in first few thousand miles. I was convinced to purchase the new cams for stage 2 after I had 28,000 miles on it. After the install I rode for about 100-200 miles, then started having sounds like the clunking sound, then overheating. I ended up doing one trip total of 1,000 mile in a week. When I got back the bike was making lots of noise, and getting super hot. I took it straight in.

I am being told that the valves/headers are burned out and that it is an engine defect. It is still covered under warranty but they are having to order complete rebuild kits for the both front and rear.

I am told buy them it has nothing to do with the cams. I am just having a hard time believing that. Anyone else wait to put cams in and have to do engine rebuilds?

·
Registered
401 Posts
If properly installed the answer is NO! Seems the technician who did the install phucked up. Likely a timing issue I'd say, perhaps because chain was not correctly indexed. Please share with us where you had the work done so others won't make that mistake.

Paul

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Any time that an engine is torn down there is a possibility of causing a problem.
So time wise closely related to the cam install, I would also suspect a malfunction caused by something done by the mechanics, not necessarily the cams themselves.
If it ran for 28,000 worry free miles and grenades in a couple hundred miles something is related.
I know of a guy that had the valves run on his 6 cylinder CBX 1000 Honda that had a lot of problems afterwards.
When it was torn down, there was a piece of red rag in the valve cover and a small piece in the oil pump.

Another red rag problem, the owner kept one under the seat of a Gold Wing and his bike quit running on one of our trips.
After much looking we found that the red rag had been sucked into the intake housing, which is under the seat where he stored the rag, and starved the engine for gas.

·
Bronze member
2,245 Posts
I am told buy them it has nothing to do with the cams. I am just having a hard time believing that. Anyone else wait to put cams in and have to do engine rebuilds?
In the service manual, it covers the cam install in detail.

After mounting the jig onto the engine there are locating rods that have to be inserted and then each turned to a *different* specific point.

Would be pretty easy for someone who was not paying 100% attention to muck that up.

WD./

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If properly installed the answer is NO! Seems the technician who did the install phucked up. Likely a timing issue I'd say, perhaps because chain was not correctly indexed. Please share with us where you had the work done so others won't make that mistake.

Paul
Obviously I don't know that it was their fault. It just seems to be too much of a coincidence. So I am not bad mouthing them, they have tried really hard to take care of it, and been on top of it. I just wish I never got the cams.

I did it at Marietta Ga - Indian Motorcycle of Marietta

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did it get flashed after the cam install? If it did, it sounds like the tech made a fatal mistake. Kind of sounds like a very lean condition if it was overheating and burned valves.............
Obviously I cannot know if he did or not. He had the install done in about 2 hours. I can only hope they did all they were suppose to.

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
So the tech that did the cam upgrade is also is doing the failure diagnosis?

No chance for coverup...nothing to see here, move along.

Cam-Gate?

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
If is was done at an authorized Indian Dealership and the cam installed was the Indian Stage II Cam, then it should be in warrenty.

Sounds like the install or some other aspect of the job went wrong. Have the installing dealer do a thorough analysis and submit it for warranty.

·
Rider
464 Posts
Already have the Indian Stage 2 exhaust, Indian A/C, Rush Header, PCV & dyno tuned. Looking to get the cam install then going to Dyno tune again. I think it's one of the best routes to go. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts